Hot Flashes

• April 21, 2011 at 8:57 am

Hi Everyone, I have a question. I am about a week and a half post my first IVIG treatment. I noticed that I am getting horrible hot flashes lately. Mostly at night when I am trying to sleep but an occasional one during the day too. I was not getting these before the IVIG treatment. Does anyone know if IVIG can cause hot flashes or fluctuations with your hormones? These darn hot flashes are happening about 10 times throughout the night and waking me up. Sometimes I am covered in sweat! I started to take soy tablets today in hopes that the soy will help. I have read that soy acts like estrogen in the body and can help ease hot flashes.

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Hi there,

Whilst I do not know about regular IVIG, my first thought was regarding your age. My second thought was whether you are female – cos if you’re not, then my first thought isn’t worth following up!

I guess you know that I’m wondering about menopause. It’s only an idea; after years of being cold at night, following GBS, now I have hot flushes and sweat quite a lot – a good deal at night.

When I remember, I take sage tablets for these hot flushes, and I think they help. I had heard about soya and I bought something to take but at the moment it languishes in the cupboard, so thanks for reminding me about it – I’ll give it a try too.

God bless

Teresa

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 7:44 am

Chirpybirdy:
      I see from your profile that you’re 46. That’s a little early for menopause (the average age is 51), but you could be going through perimenopause. It seems no coincidence that your hot flashes started after your first IVIG treatment. I have never heard of hot flashes as a side effect of immunoglobulin, but anything is possible. Perhaps some others here have had similar experiences. I certainly urge you to talk to your physician if these symptoms continue.

• May 19, 2011 at 8:42 am

I am 46 and a female. I did go to my gynocologist and he did a hormone test that does show I am going into menopause. I was just wondering if the IVIG or the CIDP could push you into menopause. It seems weird that as soon as I got CIDP and started the IVIG i started with these horrible hot flashes. I kept a log the other day and I am having one an hour! It is so disruptive during the day and night. I can’t sleep for very long because I wake up so hot. I have a hand-held fan everywhere and am constantly reaching for one. My gynocologist said I could start on hormone replacement therapy but I am afraid of the stuff I hear about cancer down the way. All i need to deal with is CIDP and cancer in my later years. CIDP is enough thank you very much. So i am at a loss. I have started soy capsules and hope they give me some relief. Wow, if this is perimenopause what will full-blown menopause feel like? Yikes!!!:eek:

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 10:07 am

Chirpy birdy, I have had hormonal problems ever since the vaccine too, not hot flashes but other issues and changes. It definitely triggered something. I had my hormones checked once and they said that they were ok, but I know something is off. I have read that autoimmune diseases can trigger early menopause. Good thing I am done having kids! (I am 39 and holding. 😉 I wouldn’t want to do the hormone replacement either.

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Man, am I glad I’m not a woman. First of all, I’d make a very unattractive female; second, and more importantly, I’m just not tough enough. :p

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 9:06 pm

chirpbirdy,
      I had the hormone test at age 37 because of hot flashes, I was going through menopause and it lasted a horrible 10 years.
      Hormone therapy didn’t help so I stopped taking it. Those hot flashes felt like I was putting my head inside a hot oven. As I felt a hot flash come on I would get a cold glass of orange juice on ice and down it plus turn the fan on.
      It is unusal to start in your thirties, my grandmother, mother and sister also started young and it lasted years, (must have run in the family).
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      May 22, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Hi Chirpybirdy

Regarding this menopause thing. What I have learned is that ‘menopause’ seems to mean ‘once your periods have stopped’. You can be leading up to that point for abouat 10 years (perimenopause I presume).

So, as you have been told that you are now heading into the menopause and you were concerned about what ‘full-blown menopausel would be like – well, experience tells me that ‘full-blown menopause’ just means that your periods stop – it’s no big deal.

Age 46 may be early for the menopause itself but I don’t think it’s early for ‘leading up to it’. Menopause is simply the end result.

I personally fancied the idea of HRT until I learned about the risks of a stroke in the first year of taking it (particularly as I am a smoker).

I am 54 now, my periods stopped abouat 4 years ago and I am dealing with hot flushes that didn’t start until my periods stopped (as I recall).

Personally, all I can suggest is taking sage, on the basis of – if it doesn’t do ay good, hopefully it won’t do any harm. I have recently taken to using an old-fashioned hand-held fan and nobody has (dared!) to remark on it. I may even start a trend!

And, Goodney, I am a somewhat unattricative female and I am not that strong either.

I was nce told about someone who asked a woman in her eighties when her hot flushes stopped and she replied ‘ll let you know’.

God bless
      Teresa

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm

GBS threw my system into menopause, and I’ve had hot flashes ever since. They were worse the first 2 years, now they are less frequent. I’ve learned to dress lightly, in layers, because I’m often chilly and often hot.

Also, underarm antiperspirant/deodorant can also trigger hot flashes. GBS wrecked my sweat glands, and they don’t react normally, so when I use the AP or Deo on my underarms, it blocks my glands entirely, and within an hour, I’ve got a hot flash and my face is blazing hot pink. So I’ve learned to brush my clothing with deodorant, not my body, and I have very few hot flashes now.
      Other things that trigger hot flashes: foam powder puffs, lotion/soap/make-up sensitivities, ultraviolet lighting causing skin inflammation and rashes, allergies, chemical reactions.

GBS…the gift that keeps on giving, but at least it saved us some red blood cells and trips to the drugstore every month.

(Goodney, what are you doing on this thread?) …just kidding :p

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I’m getting more in touch with my feminine side!;)

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Hi there,

Dear Goodney

I’m delighted to read that you are getting in touch with your feminine side. It’s just not quite as delightful as we would like it to be.

Thanks to D.U. as you have given me food for thought concerning deoderants etc. Oddly enough, I recently found one that does not contain aluminium (I think that was it).

Soya has been mentioned and whilst I know very little about it, is that not something that helps in a prtoective way regarding the change in hormones etc?

Myself, I take sage tablets for the hot flushes. I am a fan of herbs and take sage because, firstly, I understand that it helps with hot flushes and secondly, I recently harvested and dried my own sage and only bottled it today and am tickled pink about it,

God bless
      Teresa