Hi Everyone – Just discharged from hospital

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 3:56 pm

I was discharged from the hospital a week ago after a stay in excess of a month. I have GBS and had IVIG and PLEX and am now on the long path to recovery (outpatied PT and Neurologist and general Dr visits). Walking up to 200FT now and have a wheelchair for any longer distances. Just wanted to stop in an introduce myself and say hi to all.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 4:06 pm

Hi and welcome,

There’s no place like home. Sounds like you are going upward everyday, which is what we all want. Congratulations.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 5:04 pm

Doby congratulations! tell us your story! My pastors son is in ICU now with GBS completed his IVIG and has 2 more plasma transfers left. Any encouragment would be greatly appreciated.

God bless you and guide you through your recovery process,
      Nancy
      Castle Rock, CO

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 6:51 pm

Hi Doby and congradulations on getting home at last! Hope you continue to get better every day.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2006 at 7:18 pm

Hi Doby,

Welcome and glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2006 at 12:19 pm

Thanks everyone, its nice to hear of other people that have been through something similar as well (even though all cases are different). I firmly beleive that a positive attitude has had a lot to do with getting me through this period. (although I did have days where I had complete meltdowns to my boyfriend, I stayed positive overall). You sure learn not to take the everyday things for granted after going through this dont you? Simple things like being able to roll yourself over in bed or just getting up to go to the bathroom now are very important things that I appreciate being able to do every time I do them now.

One thing I would like to share is this… Before getting GBS I thought most people were just looking out for #1 and not really concerned about other people, expecially people they didnt know. Well after being in the hospital for about a month I received a prayer shawl. For anyone who doesnt know what this is… it is knitted by a prayer group who prays for the person they are making it for the entire time they are knitting it. Then after they are done they have a priest bless it before sending it off… It turns out that the lady who made mine has breast cancer and it had recently spread to the bone, there was no treatment left for her as the cancer had spread too far and here this lady was still caring for a complete stranger she had never met. This lady was a friend of someone my mom worked with. I ended up getting cards from 3 different people as well that I had never met (they had heard about me through a friend of a friend kind of thing) and the cards were telling me that they were praying for me in their weekly prayer groups and in mass. My grandmothers brother is also a priest and he sent me a card while I was in the hospital to tell me that he was praying for me in all of his masses, he did a couple days after he got out of the hospital from leukemia.

I have to say that I have a new found faith in people after this as well. And heres the kicker… I’m not even christian. I converted to Islam a few years ago and that didnt matter to these people. So, even with the seperation between religions that we hear about so often, I had several chrisitan groups and a catholic priest praying for a muslim. Just goes to show that we really can join together and care about other people in a time of need and overlook differences.

(BTW… I will be posting my story in the success stories section shortly)

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2006 at 9:02 pm

Hi Doby,

You’re so right!! Happy to hear you’re doing so well after all you’ve been through and enjoying the small triumphs! Your reflections on the prayer shawl are very moving for me. I also received one while in rehab and finally met the lady who knitted it — who thankfully is healthy. It too was from a friend of a friend. Even though raised as a conservative Christian, I don’t believe in prayer groups as such. But the meaning behind the shawl and the many prayers that were offered for me from so many gave me a warmth and strength that kept a smile on my face. One night a young male nursing assistant I liked a lot asked if he could pray for me. (I’m an old lady. 🙂 ) Of course, I said yes, thinking he would do it in private later. But no, it was right then and there and his caring was so honest and heartfelt and felt sooooooo good! So again, you’re right, Muslim, Christian, agnostic, we are ABLE to pull together! Thanks so much for your posting!

BTW, I was at Fairview Riverside, Minneapolis. Very good, but not Mayo! I’m from Burnsville. You?? Anyway, keep on getting better.

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2006 at 5:31 am

Hi Doby,

Great to hear you are staying positive. It will be tough a times but hang in there.

Regards,
      Debbie

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2006 at 11:30 am

[B]BJH[/B] – I’m from the St Cloud area (Clearwater Lake) and the first hospital I was in was the St Cloud Hospital. I grew up in the Twin Cities so I am familiar with Fairview Riverside and the Burnsville area as well. I’ll update my profile with the city too.

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2006 at 7:54 pm

Welcome, Doby, keep up your positive attitude. It’s great to see all these MN places of people reacting to your posts. I used to live in Northfield for 12 years until I retired from St. Olaf college in 2000.