Help! Emergency Situation!

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 12:06 am

I have a problem here and see myself getting really really bad off. Waiting for the slow neurologist to get me into MDA/ALS Clinic at Duke. But something scary is going on with me and I don’t know if I should get my husband up or not and tell him to get me to Duke and have me admitted into the ER. I”m getting scared.
      I don’t know if this is Gillian Barre or CIDP. That is what is scaring me! I would like to have one of you in here from the US send me a private message and let me call you or you call me so I can get some information about your illness. Somebody that maybe has mild GBS and also somebody that has CIDP.
      Tonight while laying in bed, while having my neck bent down for just a few seconds I lost feeling in my body. I had spine surgery on May 14th of this year and don’t know if this CIDP has now caused an infection on my spine around the nerves or if maybe this is CIDP going into Gillian Barre Syndrome.
      I am at a loss here and the more I know right now might save my life.
      Maybe my spine surgery messed up and that is the cause. But I had neuropathy way before this spine surgery. I did great two weeks after the surgery and then BOOM! My nervous system went crazy. I know it’s late right now and can wait talking to someone in the morning hours.
      So please if one each can give me a number or I give you my number and let me talk and compare what is going on. That way I will have a better understanding as to how to deal with this nasty stuff. I sure hope I start seeing the road to recovery soon. This stuff is nasty! I mean nasty! I’m trying really hard to not be a big baby here but am confused, frightened and scared. :confused:

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 12:10 am

Linda, either way you should have your hubby take you to the er. It is not normal to move and have a loss of sensation. Please get checked out tonight if possible.

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 1:25 am

I agree with Cherly. Something is differently wrong. It’s is better to act now than wait and see. Hopefully you will read this after you have returned home, because you have already left for the ER. You will be in my prayers

Jim C

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 1:27 am

Linda,

You know the saying “Go with your gut”…well you know something is not right.

Follow that instinct and go get help. If it happens again or something else happens get to an ER room. Call the doctor in the morning and demand something be done. You can’t go on without causing yourself or your hubby more stress.

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 2:17 am

Linda,

I will send you a p m with my phone number as I am up rather late!

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 4:54 am

I contacted Duke Medical Center Online and has asked for an apointment :confused: ASAP. Told them in my comment section what was going on and they emailed back saying someone will be contacting me within 24 hours. So say a prayer for me and pray they take me in early. Very early! Hopefully this week. I am going to try and fight this stuff until Wednesday. If I see no improvement then I will be getting my husband to take me to Duke in the ER and pray I get admitted and tested. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I really need those fingers crossed! Prayers too! Time for me to lay down on the sofa and try to get a few hours of sleep. Good night everybody! :confused: Or should I say good morning! 😀 It’s been a night! Long one too!

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 8:37 am

Linda,

I would recommend calling the referral center at Duke rather than waiting for a response to your email: 888-275-3853.

I hope you were able to get some rest.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 8:45 am

Hi Linda,
      Not much to add – get in to see the doc ASAP. Might just be a pinched nerve, I get those a lot more now, but it might be the beginning of something more nasty. Make sure you detail new symptoms when you are bugging them. Say “my entire body was paralyzed for 15 seconds” rather than “I feel worse” so they can understand your fear.
      And don’t forget to let us know what they say.

Julie

• August 11, 2008 at 9:32 am

Linda,
      How are you? Please let us know!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      August 11, 2008 at 10:27 am

Well I did get 5 hours of some sleep on the sofa. Feel very weird this morning. All numb and tingly feeling. Legs feel like rubbery jello! Husband woke up this morning and saw me on the sofa which has been typical of me doing.
      But he woke me up before leaving and asked me what was wrong. Normally when he wakes up, I am up a few minutes after him. But not this morning.
      Getting ready to call two of my doctors today and see what they can do for me to see about getting them to call Duke. And see if at least 1 of them can fit me in today to see me.
      If not tomorrow. That is if I can hold out that long. Then husband just called me again from work. He’s worried and knows something is very wrong. I have a feeling after my calls today my husband might just go ahead and take me to the Duke Emergency Room.
      I’m not doing too good this morning either. Whatever this is, it has kicked me in the rear something aweful. I’m going to make my phone calls. See what can be done and try to get myself bathed. Then lay on the sofa and do nothing all day!
      Going to call my mom and see if my Uncle can bring her over today also and sit with me until my husband get’s home. I don’t think I need to be left alone today.
      I’m still alive but just not doing to good this morning. Let’s just say that today though the game plan needs to get done and going. No matter what! Something is going to get done.
      Well better get going! But just wanted to let you all know I a still here. Will let you all know what happens today. If anything does happen! Thanks for all the caring and generosity. I really appreciate what everybody did last night. This is a wonderful site and everybody is very caring! Thank-you all so much!