Health Care vs "Show me the Money"

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I have a friend who is on the GBS (Getting Better Slowly) road to recovery.  He’s been fighting GBS for over 9 months now.  Happy to report, his Trachael Tube was removed before Thanksgiving. He’s finally had a dedicated “J” tube installed (after 8+ trips to a local hospital to replace previous tubes).  I believe his current doctor has issued a “release order”.  He needs to be moved to a better facility that can provide more Physical Therapy. 

These are excerpts from the “Sales Glossy” for a local Post-Acute care facility…..

“there is no single solution to caring for catastrophic injuries and illnesses.”

“we believe that through individualized care plans and  personalized attention, every patient has the opportunity  to improve their quality of life”

“the road to recovery can be long and challenging.”

“Of course, recovery doesn’t happen overnight.”

A”s patients begin their recovery, we help them face and overcome the most medically complex obstacles.”

Sounded like the perfect place, right? 

My friend was “rejected” for admission:  They said “____ wouldn’t make significant progress in 2 weeks to warrant insurance payments”.

SO….now hoping his “Case Worker” can move on and find another “GBS Friendly” Post-Acute Care Facility hopefully in Northern California.

Anybody know of “good” (humanitarian) places ???? 

• GH
      December 10, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Unfortunately, much medical treatment is limited by the extent of insurance coverage. Some rehab units are geared to a higher level of therapy over a shorter average stay, and these are more expensive. I went through two levels of in-patient rehab, twice each. I had some trouble getting admitted for my second trip through, because of concerns about my rate of progress. This is not entirely unreasonable. It is more efficient to give the most therapy to those who are responding to it best. The therapy must be matched to the patient for optimal results. Some patients will not respond as quickly as others, so will be placed in a facility providing longer-term care and a slower pace of therapy.

It does seem like the glossy brochure is somewhat misleading, but I suspect the rejection was more due to the insurance company than the rehab facility, and it’s just advertising anyway.

The only rehab facilities I know are the two I was in, which are part of the hospital in which I was treated. Both of these are short-term, expensive facilities, so likely not suitable. I suggest you call the local representative of the Foundation — she might have some suggestions.

• GH
      December 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

You haven’t narrowed down “Northern California” (which is pretty large), but here’s a link to a Sacramento-area hospital that treats neurological disorders:

http://www.mercysacramento.org/cm/content/acute_rehabilitation.asp

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Dear GH — thanks for your replies.  Sorry for not responding sooner but couldn’t seem to login to GBS on my smartphone when not at home!

I have also emailed the “Northern California” GBS representative with status (and he lives in San Francisco, where I also live).

Surely a SF Bay Area facility would be ideal, but don’t want to limit “options” at this time.  The case worker has provided some leads on “local facilities”.  I’m sure that anywhere that could provide the next stage of rehabilitation would be considered..but anywhere with a driveable distance from SF would insure continued visits.

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Finally some good news.  After 8 Months in 1 facility (where PT was severly reduced because patient’s “progress didn’t meet their guidelines”)…He was transferred to a new facility (a short drive from SF) where he can hopefully resume extensive PT and Speech Therapy.