Has anyone been awarded disability for GBS?

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2010 at 11:08 am

Would love to communicate with anyone who has been awarded disability for GBS. My disability was originally for cancer but I want to plead my case for renewal on my GBS and am looking for any pointers on how I can do this.

• February 27, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Hello Maureen,
      It seems like you should be able to apply for social security disability, using a report from your doctor. My case was fairly easy, in that I was still working with a year to retirement, when I went all the way down with GBS, so, I was on disability from work for a year, full pay. Then when it came time to go on partial disability from work, I put in for my pension. In the meantime, before retiring, my employer applied for social security disability for me at the same time I applied for disability on my own. I was approved for disability, but seeing how I was about to apply for retirement social security, and the difference in monthly payment was less than $50 , I opted for retirement so I wouldn’t have to report to social security every so often with a doctors slip stating I was still disabled. As it turned out, I came back about 90% functional. Some say you need a lawyer to file a disability claim but in my case, I didn’t need one.

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 4:49 am

Thank you Joe. It’s kind of you to reply.
      Maureen

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2010 at 7:51 am

Hi Maureen,

When I was diagnosed with GBS, I was turned down for disability. During a general conversation with an SSA employee (many years later) I was told that I was probably turned down as it’s likely the SSD office didn’t receive enough information regarding my medical condition. I didn’t reapply.

I hope everything works in your favor.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2010 at 6:11 am

Tina,
      I know how hard it is to get disability because my boyfriend has been fighting for it for nearly 6 years now. I am praying it is a bit easier to keep it once you have it because I honestly cannot work. Sorry you were turned down. But you’re right – not enough is known about GBS so even the Neurologists tend to discount it because they don’t understand it. I have only heard of a few who genuinly want to help us GBS sufferers and unfortunatley they are nowhere near my area!
      Good luck to you too and thank your well wishes.
      Maureen

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2010 at 11:57 am

I got ss for my GBS but I had lots of medical records.
      Of course a good lawyer does alot of good

• March 7, 2010 at 4:34 pm

When I got GBS in 1989, I was 49. When I applied for SS disability, they said my condition would not last more than one year and I was turned down. When I got GBS in 2002, I was 62. I applied for and received SS disability because I could go ahead and get my social security at age 62.

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I Receive Ss On The Second Try With A Lawyer And Lot Of Records

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I was 38 when I got sick & I was denied 1 time. Got a lawyer denied again. Got lots of records & had lots of testing done. Expecially a function capacity test. & other medical test due to other medical problems. After being denied 2 times we requested a hearing & at age 41 & going in front of a judge I was awarded my SS.
      Istaroaz

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Hello
      I was just awarded SSI and SSDI on December 2, 2010. Now thats a Christmas gift 🙂

I did have a lawyer and lots and lots of medicial files. I was turned down so they appealed, and appealed. Finaly after waitting about 18 months I got a hearing before a judge.
      One that day my lawyer was called to tak with the judge and he offered disability from Sept 30, 2010 (my 50th b’day). According to my lawyer it is easier to get SSI and SSDI after you become 50. I was not happy but figured some is better than none.
      The last day I was able to work was Sept 10, 2008. I do have GBS, which it was dx on Oct 3,2010.
      We went before the judge, I answered all his questions with out hesitation. Including how much I weighed! I had gained over 100 lbs with GBS.
      After listing to me and then he called my lawyer up to the bench. He handed her a piece of paper and we went out of the hearing room to discuss things. Seems that since I answered questions without hesitation the Judege offered to have my disability start March 30, 2010. So an additonal 6 months. So needless to say I took that offer.. some is better than none! Back in the hearing room.. he asked if I agreed with the offer and I stated Yes.
      The judge made the disision right there. AS he was reading the reasons of why I am disablied.. He ammened the reasons to include “morbid obease” and wondered why it wasnt included in the orginal reasons.
      I should add that since getting GBS… I also had my thyroid out due to cancer. They removed the lymp nodes on the left side.. so I also suffer from a dry mouth.
      I had my doctor write a letter for me when I saw my Endo a few days before I had the hearing. Everything helps.
      I will be glad to answer any and all questions.
      I qualified for SSI and SSDI.. not much but helps.
      Good luck …..

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I have CIDP. My disability went through without any problems.