Hand muscle wasting and numbness and weakness with CIDP

• May 8, 2017 at 7:42 am

Hello
      Was diagnosed with CIDP after EMG end of Jan 2017.
      Numbness started in feet and fingertips last August.
      Getting IVIg. About to get third infusion today (80 g total)
      Worse effect now is my hands
      Tight, numb, finger tips like rocks and weak
      Any insights into your expwriences with this and other remedies to help?
      Thanks
      John

• jk
      May 9, 2017 at 11:01 am

Hello and Welcome

My experience is not really relevant because my disease progressed for decades without diagnosis. However, no one else has replied to you.

Your time from initial symptoms to treatment, although not immediate, should give you hope that with effective treatment your symptoms will abate.

What is effective treatment? If IVIG is effective in your case, you might notice almost immediate improvement. Yet, not all patients will respond to IVIG. In all likelihood, your damage is probably not severe and the muscles will recover, if not already atrophied, as the myelin sheath rebuilds and the nerve signals improve.

Presence or lack of fasiculations is a good clue about what’s going on inside.

• GH
      May 9, 2017 at 4:29 pm

It is much too soon to guess how things will turn out, but you should hope for the best. I lost the use of my hands and everything else below the neck for weeks. Today, I am normal above the knees.

To exercise your hands you need TheraPutty, but this may not be the time for it. An occupational therapist can explain the use of this product.

• May 9, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Thank you
        Appreciate the information

• May 10, 2017 at 8:21 pm

When did you start your IVIg treatments? In January or just recently?

• May 10, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Hello Bryanf
      My first infusion was march with total 160gm
      April and May 80gm
      My Dr is increasing my dose to 160 again starting June

• May 10, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Hopefully you see some results from the May 8th infusion. Some folks take 10 to 14 days to start to see results.

Good luck.