Guillain-Barré Syndrome Outbreak in Peru

• May 10, 2018 at 10:31 pm

Has anyone heard about the 19 reported cases here in Peru. I live in Houston Texas, my brother Giuseppe Chiri suffered from GBS about 17 years ago and had a very quick recovery. This happened in Queens NY in 2001. He recovered completely in a matter of 30-45 days. my concern and reason why i’m posting at this moment is because people are freaking out all over Peru they are sending online letters even the country has declared a “national epidemiological alert”. I’ve heard on the TV stations that you can get this by being close to others with the syndrome. by not washing your hands well… i mean a bunch of things that are not true.. The media en this inexperience doctors are scaring the entire population.. i spend almost 20-25 days by my brothers side at his hospital bed with no sickness. i found an online report on what may have caused GBS on this 19 patients and its due to the Zika Virus. I will include the link so y’all can read it. I’m currently living in Peru, In a city by the name of Chimbote which is about 6 hours north of the capital. we have 2 cases here at two different hospitals and 4 more cases in a hospital in a near by city by the name of Trujillo which is about 2 hours away from me.. i would like more information that i could use to help people here. Its sad they are scaring the entire country! everyone is really scared! even at the school my girlfriends daughter goes to they have all the children scared and having nightmares.. anyone that could help it would be very appreciate it.

Here’s the link to the report i found.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peru-health/peru-declares-alert-over-suspected-guillain-barre-outbreak-idUSKBN1IA2LO

My email is ginomchiri@gmail.com

Thank You so much,

Gino M Chiri

• September 24, 2018 at 11:12 pm

according to my doctors we have had 5 cases in New Zealand in northland in the last 3 months.

i was the 5th so thats how i know.

but apparently its generally very rare.

Dave

• September 26, 2018 at 10:19 am

No I haven’t heard anything about it (GBS/CIDP). I think the only time I hear about it is if someone famous gets it like the center for the Dallas cowboys.

Tagged: