Got fired before I secure continuation of benefits

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 11:16 am

Well hope is not on my side these days. I was terminated today 3 days short of having the ability to get cobra coverage for insurance. I was only at this job for 87 days and now I’m unemployed with CIDP and my wife has not yet found a job. We are in dire straights and worried beyond comprehension. My meds will be so costly that I won’t be able to purchase them and with chronic nerve pain the fear of what it to some scares us both. I knwo that you all will tell me to hold on amd things will be fine but I am in a dark place now. I can only hope that God will give me the strength to continue this fight. It seems tha the closer I get to making plans to overcome these adversities the faster evrything else works against me. I am suffering with so much greif about my brothers deaths and this disease that my duties as a husband and provider have diminished. I want to believe that everything will work out but it never seems to go my way ever. What does not kill us makes us stronger… If that is true than I am one of the strongest men in the world, perhaps. I hope no one has t endure the pains and disappointments tha have plagued my recent past. Good luck to you all and I will be back a lot more often for the wonderful support you have shown this stranger

PS. Does anyone if I can file for unmployment if I plan to file for SSDI. I have not filed yet but will I be denoed if I am on unemployment? I have to pay my bills after all. This is the ultimate in the Cathc 22’s of life.

MAC34

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 11:47 am

Hey I say what the heck go ahead and apply for unemployment the worse that can happen is to get denied. Also chin up and go to the local FIA office and apply for state assistance and medicad. It will help and at least give you piece of mind until your ssd comes through. God gives us alot of things on our plate but it truely does make us all stronger in the long run. Believe me I too feel I’ve been given to much but then I go to my closet and put on my NFL shoulder pads (LOL) and know I can get through another day. Good Luck and let me know what you find out. Oh the shoulder pads do come in handyLOL

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 12:13 pm

I will check out al of my option while in this transition. thanks again for finding the time to reply to me. It makes me feel less alone.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 12:16 pm

MAC,
      Here are some online resources that may be useful.

Partnership for Prescription Assistance:
      [url]https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php[/url]

[url]http://www.needymeds.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.patientadvocate.org/index.php[/url]

There are more, I’m sure. Search for patient assistance programs.

I don’t know what reason they gave you for firing you, but you may have legal recourse under the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, if your employer has any sense, I’m sure they have documentation of “nonmedical” reasons for your termination. Still, it might be worth talking to a lawyer to find out what your rights are and perhaps to help you navigate the federal systems (legal aid of NC website: [url]http://www.legalaidnc.org/)[/url].

I’m so sorry that things are going so badly for you right now. They say bad things come in 3’s — maybe it’s time for good things to start happening.

Caryn

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 1:26 pm

Mac,

Sending you all the cyber-strength I can muster.

You are never alone here.

I wonder, if gbsfi has an advocate in your location to provide support there.

I don’t have any ideas other than has been suggested atm, but wanted you to know that I will be thinking of you and your beautiful family (pics from your website). Don’t worry yourself so much about your duties as a father and provider. Talk to a friend, clergy, or someone that you trust to help you navigate the maze of assistance programs. Having a second set of eyes and ears can be of great benefit. My very best wishes that you find immediate relief for your current situation.

cd

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Hello Mac,
      Do Check Out Those Web Sites That Caryn Provided For Low Cost Prescriptions And Apply To One Or All Of Them. And Call The Pharmacy That Makes The Brand Of Prescriptions You Take And Appeal To Them For Help. If You Are Involved In A Church Or Have Good Friends And Neighbors, Maybe A Fund Raiser Could Be Started To Help Tide You Over. Talk Honestly To Your Doctor About Your Situation Right Now. Buy A Lottery Ticket, Who Knows, It Might Be The Big One, What’s To Lose As Long As You Don’t Go Wild With This Idea. If You Tell Us Where You Are, Maybe We Have A Member Who Lives Close Enough For One On One Support.

When Situations Like This Happen, It Makes Me Wonder If We Would Be Allowed To Post And Offer Donations, Like Extra Meds We Have That We Can Spare, Canes, Walkers, Wheelchairs, Afo’s, Etc., Etc.

The Good News, You Are Down Now And The Only Place To Go Is Back Up. This Advice Is Also For Other Members Who Get Fired.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Hello Mac:

Perhaps your doctor can keep you supplied with samples.

And please apply for food stamps. You should be eligible.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

All I can do is send good thoughts and warm wishes your way.

Oh, today, I applied for a part time job, (haven’t worked outside my home for 24 years). I just walked into a Century21 real estate office, and asked about the part time job they had in the window. He was very nice, didn’t diss me because of my age (59). I presented myself very well and he invited me in the back office and gave me an interview. I wanted the 3 to 9 position and he jumped and said “oh, do you drive, we need you for out other office”. “We just hired a 3 to 9 person for this place”

I said “no, I don’t drive, he looked disappointed but I was thrilled because I got out of my comfort zone and went into an office and tried to get a job. Just because this didn’t work out, doesn’t mean that I won’t eventually find one that will. I want to work, and I’m determined. And the fact that I can type 145 words a minute and can use a computer, well, that won’t hurt my chances.
      Even though I have diabetic neuropathy, and my feet burn, I’m going to be starting methyl B-12. I just say to myself “don’t give up, there is SOMETHING out there for you!!!!”

When it happens it happens.

Now in your case, you have to get the pain under control, and fight the depression because I can just bet right now, you’re not thinking happy thoughts are you???

Things have a way of changing right in front of our eyes. Happens all the time.

Hopefully, in time, you’ll either find another job, or you’ll be approved for either disability, or unemployment.

But at least apply for food stamps. You have nothing to lose.

I do wish you all the best,

Melody

P.S. I was fired once in my life. I would not give in to the sexual advances of a certain boss I worked for. This was a bit before I got married when I was 32 years old. I was quite a looker in my day and this guy wouldn’t leave me alone at all. He drove me crazy with all his leering, etc.
      When he realized he wasn’t getting anywhere with me, (he wanted me to accompany him on a business trip and told me he had an open marriage and that I would be sharing a room with him, I looked him dead in the eye and said “I don’t do these things”. Next thing I knew,he fired me. I had left a good job where I worked for over 10 years to get this position. I then met my husband, got married and I filed a Sexual Harrasment Lawsuit against my former employer. We settled out of court. I found out he did this to other women.

So do look into the discrimination thing.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 3:16 pm

The Patient Advocate Foundation website ([url]www.patientadvocate.org[/url]) has a “Resources” area that provides information and links to many resources, including a National Financial Resources Guide that is sorted by the state you live in.
      C

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 3:49 pm

I am so sorry you are going thru so much. Maybe you can check with your local hospitals about charity write offs or they may call it financial assistance.
      One of the largest hospitals here has the charity and you show them proof of income and they base your bill on that. And the scale they use is very generous. At least this way, you can continue treatment or get meds. Here is it any Alegent hospital or dr’s office…tho, the dr’s office is a little more difficult…but it can be done.

good luck to you…keep your chin up my friend…your little one needs you.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 4:00 pm

Definitely apply for unemployment insurance. It will be a bit before the SSDI comes through, from what I hear.

I don’t know what you do for a living, but once you start getting your UI, you should start thinking about freelance jobs you can start training for. Even when you get SSDI, I think you can earn an additional $800 a month, and that will come in handy.

I’m really sorry this has happened, and I know you and your wife must be very worried. Hopefully she will find a job soon, and you’ll get your unemployment insurance.

Isn’t it awful that chronically ill people have to worry about this crap?

-Marie

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Mac,

I sent you a pm.

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2007 at 2:40 am

mac, soo sorry to hear of your misfortunes. its ok you were let go-their loss not yours! you didn’t need that type of an employer anyhow. things will turn out better for you, it may not be today, may not be tomorrow, or even the next day, but with a positive attitude, a loving family, and a dash of luck- it will be just in time. i understand how you are feeling, financially and family wise, i’m going through it and we are just squeezing by most of the time. don’t make plans for too far in the future, they rarely end up the way you want them to. i found that out the hard way several times over. just live your life one day at a time, and things will turn out just fine. Keep your family by your side and your faith in your heart and a better life will be yours. apply for ssd and unemployment, you should not have a problem. sending you and yours a Big Hug! take care.

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Mac,

I’m so sorry to hear about what has happened with your job. Please remember that what has happened was not of your own doing, is not a reflection on you as a person. I’m sure your family and friends will tell you so, but it not, try to remember it.

The night usually seems darkest just before the dawn. Do your best to keep your positive attitude. Good things will come to you yet.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2007 at 7:10 pm

Hi Mac,
      I’m soooo sorry that really does suck! But things do work out in a strange and wierd way, one of my good friends lost his job, had to sue his company (and believe me he is not the type to do that) he won and ended up better off than before. All he was asking for in the first place was to have time off for a back surgery so he could continue to work, he had to have the surgery before he could work anywhere. Once he won the suit he got a much better job!
      “You” will also do better and “things” will get better it’s just so darn frustrating now. Please vent here and know we all feel for you, we may all be in your shoes one day! Big Cyber-Hug to you and your family.

Joyce.

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Mac
      Sorry about your troubles. Most of all trust God and turn it over to him. I too was fired from a job. I worked at a school as a secretary and finished the year went home with the keys to the school. Two weeks later, I was called up by the Supt. who informed me that the principal wanted me fired. I was never told the reason why. When I ask, he told me that it was personal and I couldn’t even see the letter listing the problem. Is that dumb or what? Anyway my thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep your chin up and apply to all the places that have already been mentioned.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 11:46 am

Hi Mac,

Have’nt heard from you lately – just thinking of you, and hoping you are doing ok. I’ve been away for a short while myself due to some personal difficulties.

I found an easy way to provide you with a little relief.

Cody-Stanley (thanks Liz) made an excellent suggestion -“Offer Donations”. Here’s my spin on it:

[url]http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1874990[/url]

I am requesting the “Superman” design as a symbol of your dedication to your family by working full-time despite a five year battle to gain control of your health.

If you are on some of the generic drugs (gabapentine, prednisone), check to see if they qualify for the Wal Mart $4 per refill program.

best wishes,
      cd

ps -I hope this suggestion is not offensive – you have demonstrated courage in overwhelming adversity and I think you deserve a break. Let us know how you are doing.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 6:31 pm

I’m sorry I can’t give you tell you anything about the on the employment stuff but being fired was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I worked for someone for 4 years. After he fired me, hurricane Andrew came and I mustured the strength to leave a horrible marriage (I was able to get insurance money). If it would not have been for me getting fired, I might not have ever left the job and moved home. It paid very well.

Good luck and keep us posted.
      Lori

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Hey Mac,

So sorry to hear about your job. I was unemployed when I got CIDP and have had to wade through all the different avenues for help. There is alot out there that can help until you and/or your wife get back working. The Needy Meds website mentioned earlier has many great resources. Email me and I will be happy to help you find help with your prescriptions and anything else I can do. Hang in there, you have a large family here now and we all want to help. My email is jerimyschilz at hotmail.com . My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Jerimy

• June 11, 2007 at 7:38 am

Mac,
      Sorry about being let go. I had pretty much the same thing happen to me at the mine I worked at in Nevada. I came home to Spokane, applied for SSI, while waiting for that I received a GAU {general assistance-unemployable} grant from Washington State. I moved into a little studio apartment trying to keep my indepedence. My landlord ended up making my apartment into an office, moved me into a two bedroom apartment upstairs and now I run the office below. While waiting for SSI I also received help from four different drug companies getting my meds sent to me for free. It takes a bit of paper work but everyone at the drug co. were really helpful. The help is there, keep your chin up. Things will get better! I love my part time job and it makes me feel like I’m still usefull. Good luck!
      Pattie