Glad To Have Found You!

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Hello – I am brand new to this forum, and to the world of GBS. I am so glad to have found you, and spent a lot of time this past weekend reading your posts. I am so impressed with the positive, supportive tone expressed by the members – and the willingness to help each other. I hope I will be able to do the same.

I was admitted to the hospital on 12/25/2009 – yup, a really great Christmas – after having increasing tingling, pain and numbness in my legs for about 5 days. My legs turned to jelly Christmas Eve, and I woke up in the morning only able to move 3 fingers on my right hand. We were out of town at my Moms, so my husband loaded me into the car, drove me home and admitted me. Three days later I heard the term Guillian-Barre for the first time. Did PE on alternating days for 5 treatments (10 days) and started getting some movement back. I was transferred to a Rehab hospital, where I’ve been ever since.

I got out of rehab (that sounds so funny to me) last week and can now walk short distances with a walker – a miracle to me! I spend most of my time in the wheelchair, and am getting around okay. Right now I am praying that my request for an extended Leave of Absence from my teaching job will be approved by my school board. (I am a high school biology teacher, so this has been quite interesting to me on that level, too).

So far I am pleased with the physical and occupational therapy I have been given, and the medical care I have recieved. I feel very blessed with the support thay all gave me – My husband has been amazing through all of this, and as wierd as it sounds, GBS has given me so many reasons to be thankful.

Glad to meet you all!

Cathie

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Welcome Cathie! You’ve come to the right place. I had “mild” GBS in November 2009, after the H1N1 vaccine. It has been a roller coaster ride as you know. I hope that you will be able to get your leave of absence to give you peace of mind. My parents are both teachers (dad is now retired,) and I have a lot of friends that are teachers. It seems as though they are pretty generous and supportive when it comes to medical leaves. It does seem to depend on the school though. Please feel free to come on here with questions, no question is a dumb one, and people are very open and personal about their experiences. Good luck with your recovery…one day at a time.

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Welcome Cathie!

It is so important to have a good support group as you recover from GBS. Family members and therapists played an integral part in my recovery, and it sounds as though they have for you also. I am almost one year into my personal GBS recovery phase. I feel blessed to have come back to about 90% of who I was pre GBS. It sounds as if you are recovering well…..allow yourself plenty of rest, and keep that positive attitude! Trust me, you will never take the most simple things in life for granted…..something you seem to have already acknowledged. Hoping that you be granted a leave from work and that you continue to progress…..good luck:)

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Glad to hear you tell your story. Keep working hard and resting harder, it is a fine line to learn. I am also fairly resent. Released from the hospital with a walker just 6 weeks ago today. My case was mild, couldn’t walk but it did not affect my breathing. I have most of my feeling back, feet and back are still numb, I am walking with a cane, driving and will be starting 2 hour a day work next Monday. For me healing is happening quickly, I have a long way to go to get to even 80% but God willing it will not take long. I wish you speedy and complete recovery. Ask questions, tell your story; you will find a good deal of support and people willing to listen.
      Harryb
      My glass is not half full or half empty, just happy to have a glass.

• March 2, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Welcome Cathie!
      You attitude is so positive and uplifting. I was inspired. I hope you post often and that your leave is approved and that you get better and better.

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2010 at 2:29 am

So nice to meet you today. You will be fine before you know it. Just enjoy your vacation from the children and never give in. Cathie, I have heard of people being completely paralized on one side and not the other. It is not common but it does happen tho. Have a nice day now.

God bless,
      Drummer Dude

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2010 at 9:23 am

Cathie,

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are making good progress with your recovery. You know from your own experience that recovery from GBS is a slow process.

Your Christmas was bad with getting GBS and mine was good as I was released late on Christmas Eve 2007 after 2 1/2 months in hospital with GBS.

I feel the same way about my husband and as time passes he is still amazing.

Good luck with your recovery and hope you receive the extended leave of absence.

Shirley

• March 3, 2010 at 10:32 am

Hi Cathie,
      I hope you get the extended leave of absence. We have a teacher that had cancer in 08, had the rest of the year off, came back this year, it proved to be too much and she had another leave till last week. She is starting with half days. So there is hope, saying a prayer for you. Regarding your comment about gbs giving you reasons to be thankful for, I too feel similar. While I am not thankful that a boy has to suffer daily it has made us stronger in other ways and opened both of our eyes up to the struggles of others, be they medical or emotional. Both of us have learned to be more compassionate and helpful. God does work in mysterious ways. Keep up the hard work in your recovery efforts! Keep us posted!

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who replied. I guess my first post was a bit confusing – I was affected on both sides and find that I am recovering in reverse order from what was affected. My hands are back pretty well – the feet and legs not so much. That will come with time, I am sure. Again – Thanks for your support!

Cathie

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Hi Cathie,

My GBS started in my back and went to my legs, then to my fingers and arms.
      My neuro told me that after I plateaued, recovery would begin in reverse order, which is what you are experiencing. It took me much longer to use a walker than it did you…..congratulations! I hope your recovery continues on such a positive note. Take care

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Honey, your post was perfectly clear and not confusing at all. I had just heard of a person with GBS who is paralized on one side. I guess I was hoping someone would mention about the one side paralized person.

God bless,
      Drummer