GBS Relapse After Stomach Bug? Anyone been here before?

• PTH
      August 26, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Good Day All,

On Monday of this week I was sidelined with a stomach bug that went through our house. My wife also got it. Typical thing, down for the count for one day, vomiting and diarrhea, then back on your feet. Other than the unpleasantness of the bug, nothing seemed off. Here’s the timeline:

34/m
      Diagnosed and treated for GBS – AIDP in April, 2014
      Full recovery, good health (so far!)

Monday (Day 0): Stomach bug
      Tuesday (day 1): Recovery
      Wednesday (Day 2): Back on my feet, but overall achy and sore from vomiting/diarrhea and being laid up.
      Thursday (Day 3) Normal, still a bit sore/recovering
      Friday Morning (Day 4): Woke up @ 6am with both of my hands asleep. Disclaimer: I was sleeping on my stomach with my hands underneath me. Got up, took a shower, got the blood flowing in about 20-30 minutes they were back to normal. Arms a bit sore, which was odd, but there you go.
      Friday Afternoon (Still Day 4): Noticed my cheeks were a bit tense (like I had been smiling and laughing a lot. As it was a work day, I can attest that wasn’t the case!)
      Friday Evening (Still Day 4): Felt a little tingle in my hands – not pins and needles – just an odd sensation. Went to bed (said some prayers).
      Saturday Morning (Today, Day 5): Woke up again with both of my hands asleep. Slept on my back with my hands on top of me so they weren’t trapped this time. Shook my hands out and in a few minutes back to normal. Hands and forearms feel a bit tired even though I just got up, like I have been using them but I haven’t. No pins-and-needs, pain, or weakness.

So here’s my question. Since we are all similar in a very unique way, anyone been through this? The flu bug was my trigger in 2014, which certainly caused concern this week when it happened again. Anyone had some shadow symptoms after getting sick post treatment? I have read several case studies that say after vaccines, you can get some effects on the areas that were impacted originally.

Anyway, any input it appreciated. I am obviously watching for the tale-tell signs of tingling, pins-and-needles, progressive paralysis, etc. Spoke to my doc and she said to watch closely. Right now there isn’t much to go on for testing.

Thanks for the help,
      P

• GH
      August 26, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Just in the interest of accuracy: influenza is a respiratory disease. Stomach “flu” is not influenza.

Campylobacter jejuni, which causes gastro-intestinal distress, is a known trigger for GBS.

• August 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm

Hi, I have noticed that after a even a little cold or any physical stress (walked toooo long yesterday, ate something that didn’t agree with me), heck- plain-old-stress, that I’ll feel the pins-and-needles/numbness. The worst is when winter digs in and I didn’t protect my hands/feet well enough.
      But that’s just me.

• August 21, 2019 at 12:00 pm

i know this is fairly old post, i am having similar issues after having been sick for a couple of days. i had GBS three years ago. now having tingling numbing sensations in my arms and calves. did you symptoms go away eventually? did you get treatment again, i am a little worried hope you can respond. thank you

• August 21, 2019 at 6:05 pm

Yes, the symptoms went away. But then they come back again with a similar stress event. Not full-blown, just enough to make a person panic. Try to do something that relaxes you, keep warm (feet!), drink water. Go to your doctor if you continue to have these sensations/concerns- there’s nothing wrong with getting some professional reassurance with something as serious as GBS.

It doesn’t happen every time there’s a stressor. I’d look at it as a reminder to be good to yourself.