GBS Paresthesias: how long do they last?

• November 11, 2019 at 11:38 am

This question is primarily for those who have or have had “classic” GBS and have more or less recovered, or are well on their way to recovering. How long did the worst paresthesias last? I contracted GBS just over a month ago. Aside from leg weakness, which is slowly but steadily improving, I’ve had considerable numbness and tingling from my toes up to just below my knees (and also my fingers). Much of the time it feels like I am walking (with a walker) on stilts; I can hardly feel the floor, and it makes balancing (and walking) really difficult. I am also getting all kinds of vibrations and similar sensations through my legs, but these don’t bother me as much as the numbness. Thanks!

I know everyone’s case is unique, but I’d appreciate hearing other people’s experiences with these sorts of paresthesias and how long it took/take for them to start fading away.

• November 11, 2019 at 3:29 pm

It has been 5 years for me and I had a very severe case of GBS, going from perfectly normal in the morning to a ventilator in the evening (1/2 day). I’ve had 3 EMG’s testing nerve conduction at 1, 2, and 4 years. The results show most improvement in the first year. I understand that 1 – 1.5 years is typical to get the most results. I still have some tingling / partial numbness, but it seems to keep getting incrementally better over time. It took a year before I could start to use a walker. As you say, every case is different and unique and it’s hard to draw parallels.

• November 14, 2019 at 12:16 pm

My diagnosis was in January of this year and I also had a very bad case where I was on a vent for several weeks. I had 2 months of inpatient Physical Therapy and then I am still doing outpatient. I was able to finally start walking with a walker in April and slowly progressed from there. I have gone through a lot of peaks and plateaus but I walking with almost a normal gait now but still have sever tingling and numbness in my feet.
      Like you all have said, everyone is different, so be patient and keep a good attitude as it will be hard.

Tagged: