GBS newbie, would love a pep talk!

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2006 at 4:47 pm

Hi everyone. I was so happy to find this forum for GBS survivors! I was discharged from the hospital about 6 days ago for GBS, one day after I finished my fifth IVIG treatment. I thought I was reallly unlucky to come down with something like this, especially since I am supposed to start medical school in just over a month. However, reading all of your posts made me realize that I should be counting my blessings, since my bout with GBS seems comparatively mild to some. It progressed to tingling in my face, but really, the actual paralysis was mild, I didn’t have to go on a ventilator, and I was always able to walk (albeit not well).

Now I am trying to re-myelinate and taking it as easy as I can. I often get really frustrated with my VERY gradual recovery time. Mostly I am nervous about not recovering in time to start school. I have invested so much of my life to get this far, and the idea of failing due to illness is heart-breaking. Anyway, just a little venting about this strange turn in my life. I’d love to hear more about everyone in this forum’s experiences with GBS recovery. Thanks again for the great posts!

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2006 at 4:52 pm

Well Welcome to our little part of the web….you will find great people with sound advice…..my advice is to listen to them. No one can stress enough to take it slow, rest and lay prone as much as possible…fatigue will be your nemisses (I wonder if I spelled that right) (I just looked it up and I did spell it wrong so I am editing this message and instead of changing the word I am writting this really long explination of how stupid I am…oh well…) but….over the long haul you will get better and I hope that you will.

Drop in and ask as many questions as you like.
      Stephen

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2006 at 5:36 pm

Hello and welcome,
      When other’s respond, I think they’ll tell you that GBS should mean “Get Better Slowly”. Don’t expect too much too soon. Talk to your doctor about whether you should start school. If you do choose to start, LISTEN (wish I could say that louder) LISTEN to your fatigue level. The fact that you had a mild bout, may make it possible. Take naps, even if you feel you don’t need it. It might be a good idea if you talk to your teachers and let them know that you are recovering from a chronic illness.

We’re here when you want to talk.

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2006 at 5:49 pm

Welcome to the forum! After the birth of my son last October, I got GBS and was just devastated that I missed his first months of life. I can finally take care of him, but I deal with a lot of residuals like pain and numbness. After being extremely angry and depressed, I now realize that I just need to spend that energy on getting better. Every day is a struggle, and this forum has been a blessing because you realize that you are not alone. I hope your recovery goes well, and I really suggest not pushing yourself too hard, or you might regress. I had many pre-med friends in school, and I know that you have focused so much energy and time to get to med school. Med school is extremely physically and emotionally difficult-and so get yourself in the best health to master it. Perhaps you can delay your start in school. I know that sounds bad, but right now, after 8 months of GBS and monthly IVIG treatments, I can walk, drive, carry the baby-but I still have pain and fatigue. I get so tired that I sleep when the baby does, and my husband takes care of him at night-and I still feel very tired. I wish it would be back to normal, but I have realized that it just takes longer than I wanted. Sorry that I am rambling, but I wanted you to know how the recovery can be. When I push myself too much, and try to do the things I could do with no problems pre-GBS, I have to slow down for days to recover. And that’s just going to the grocery, going to the doctor, going shopping for the baby-just normal stuff. And don’t even get me started on vacuuming! Any way, please take good care of yourself-visit this forum often and happy re-myelinating!!

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2006 at 6:42 pm

Just wanted to say welcome and glad that you found us. Try and find your limits and don’t overdue things is the best advice I can give. If your headed to college classes, do what you can to get your classes close together, also look into a handicap parking permit. Excess walking will cause you alot of pain and I have found it very hard to concentrate when I am having the nerve pain.

Take good care of yourself and come back often.

Jerimy

PS-Also you might want to look into online classes or telecourses where possible to save yourself some energy, just a thought. I am taking online classes through the University of Phoenix and it is working out well.