GBS and leg blockages

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Have 72% blockage in one leg and 74% in the other. Dr. has me scheduled for a catheterization procedure August 12. I’ve had GBS 9 mo., and neuro has given his ok for it to be done.
      I still have numbness in the feet with tingling in the feet and legs.
      I asked to be put to sleep but he said he couldn’t do that.
      I am afraid as this will be my first medical procedure since getting GBS.
      Does anyone have any questions or concerns I should be talking to Dr., about or suggestions to help get over my fear? My fear is that it will cause me to relapse.
      Thank you
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2008 at 11:16 pm

HI shirley,
      I’ve had a couple of procedures since being diagnosed and I too was scared to death. But everything went ok. Just make sure the doctor and everyone else involved in the procedure are aware that you have GBS and make sure they understand what it is before you have the procedure done. They will want to monitor your blood pressure and heart rate very closely because sometimes these can both be affected. Good luck and let us know how things go.

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2008 at 1:22 am

Hello Shirley, What choice do you have ? It sounds to me like you don’t have one. You must weigh what will happen if you don’t have the surgery, against what could,might, or maybe happen if you do have it. As for me Shirley it looks like you must have it done,and I would too.What happens will happen. A prayer for you is on the way.
      God bless,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2008 at 2:44 am

Shirley, It should not be a problem, as far as relapsing goes. Although your anxiety about the procedure could be another story. You need to be good with your decision, and it is your decision to make. I would do all the research on that procedure and get comfortable with it and you will breese right thru it with only a few days rest. Positive attitude will carry you through. Take Care.

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Sherry, Dr. is aware of my GBS, he has a friend with it and has researched it.
      They did open heart surgery on me Oct. 07, at same hospital and got GBS 8 days later. Dr. asked if I thought that surgery caused my GBS. Told him I didn’t believe so because thinking back, I had symptons of GBS before the surgery. He keeps regular check of heart and blood pressure.

Drummer, you are so right, I have no choice. I’m going with what happens will happen. That is the same thing I say to others, thanks for reminding me of my own words. It just helps to be told by someone other than husband and family.

Cheryl, I think anxiety is a big problem for me with this. Will try to calm down and not let my fears get the best of me.

Thank you all for your replys, what each of you have told me has really helped.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Shirley,
      I would feel bad if I didn’t let you know of an alternative procedure that cleans the arteries. It is called Chelation. My 80 year old mother had it done and the hair on her legs started to grow – as evidence that it was succeeding. I also had it done in my fifties for a preventative. It is a slower process that puts an amino acid into the body intravenously. You will probably go with your doctor’s decision but I just felt I needed to let you know. If you need to know anything about chelation or have any fears of it, let me know. It is a safe procedure.

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2008 at 7:55 am

Carolyn,
      I would like to know more about it . Doubt if my Dr. will do it or even if he knows about it. Want to print out info on it. It’s worth a try.
      I have never heard of this.
      Thank you so much
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Shirley,
      When people were getting heart problems after painting the airplanes during the war because of lead in their systems, they discovered that their heart problems got better. So it is an approved medical procedure and very few side effects if any. It is used to get rid of metals in the body. It also gets rid of the plaque that coats are arteries.
      As I have said, I took my mom to a doctor in Tampa that gave chelation treatments. Most doctors who do this have a room with big comfy chairs for people to sit in because it takes around two hours to get the IV. It has an amino acids in it – EDTA – and some magnesium. You can look this up. There would be from 10-20 people in the room. I talked with them and found out that they had had typical medical procedures done elsewhere and weren’t satisfied. The best results they got were from chelation. I even sat next to one of the drummers of a 50’s rock group ( the GBS does a number on your memory). We later on went out on a date and he gave me a tape of his band’s songs so I can go look it up. Anyhow…..it does take time and it is probably not covered by your insurance. That is the bad part. It takes anywhere from 20 + to get improvements…depending how bad you are.But to me…it is worth every penny. When they replace blockages, they take some of the main ones. Chelation cleans out all of your arteries and gently. If there were a chelation doctor in this town or close by, I would start them today. But my car is not working well and I am going to wait a little while to start. It is one of THE BEST preventative measures anyone can get. I read several books on it before I took my mother to get it.
      But we all have to make the decision right for us…I just want people to know they have choices. If you have any other questions, let me know. We are here to help each other.

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 12:39 am

Shirley, FYI, chelation therapy is an alternative medicine approach not “standard” medicine.
      I have had anesthesia twice since getting GBS and did okay with each one and did not relapse. My neurologist also said to tell the anesthesiologist to watch vitals (heart rate and blood pressure especially and ability to breath). I am not sure why they will not use anesthesia for you, but maybe at least they will give you relaxing medicines.
      Your on-line “family” will keep you in our thoughts and prayers and hope that all goes super smooth without added worry–you have already had enough worry in the last year!!!
      WithHope

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 8:20 am

Carolyn,
      Thanks for all the information. I don’t think my Dr. will do it but want to ask him if he knows of it.
      That was something how you met the drummer. We meet people in the most unexpected places. I came out of the restroom of an air force club years ago and bumped into a male singer. Got to meet three major league baseball players as they were leaving the mall and my young son was in seventh heaven with that one. His favorite player at the time was Barry Larkin and he was one of baseball players.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 9:00 am

WithHope,
      I should have ask Dr. whe he couldn’t put me to sleep but didn’t think of it at the time. I’m going to ask him again to put me to sleep before he does the procedure. He said I would get a pill to relax me. I would feel better about it if I were put to sleep.
      He knows to watch the heart and blood pressure but I need to talk to him about my breathing as respiratory muscles were affected from GBS.
      Thank you , I am feeling better about going through this knowing others have had procedures and surgeries done without relapse.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 12:48 pm

Shirley,
      I doubt if your doctor will do it. You would need to find a wholistic one and there are few of them. But, in my opinion, it is the best way to go. Been there – done that! I remembered the band – Tommy James and the Shondells. He had had 100 treatments – most people do not get that many! He was fighting cancer also. He was healthy though – had everything under control. I backpacked through Europe in 1976 and was at a beach in San Sebastian, Spain where I spent the afternoon with Jack NIcholson buying me Horchatas (these milky drinks). He crossed my path years later at the Sixers/Lakers playoffs but I was too starstruck to even smile. They almost put him in our box on the floor. Darn. He owns a home in San Sebastian because they have a film festival there.
      I think it is a sin that the AMA says chelation is safe and uses it for people with lead poisoning and know it helps clean out the arteries too. Guess it doesn’t help pay off their Mercedes.

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Carolyn,
      What memories you have. That was one of my husbands favorite groups and even today he’s crazy about Jack Nicholson, ( crazy Jack).
      I guess someone has to buy those Mercedes?
      Maybe the AMA will come around in the future.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Shirley,

I had two blood clots in my left leg, and was given warfarin for treatment. Almost a year of warfarin and then I got a clean bill of health (for the clots only).

I realize you’re probably talking about an arterial blockage, and I’ll have to defer to others here, with more knowledge.

Hang in there, and be safe. Sounds like the beginning of a heck of a week. With your friend in the other post, and your leg blockage. Remember to take good care of yourself.

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2008 at 4:07 pm

Brett,
      Glad you got that clean bill of health (for clots only).
      I’ve got three blockages in each leg, It’s getting harder to do pt but Dr. wants me to keep going to help keep what blood flow I have open.
      Thank you Brett,
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Had the catherization on my legs.
      Dr. inserted baloons in both legs to open the ateries, it took two hrs. and went well. I thought I was awake through it all,
      the nurse informed me I wasn’t. Sure did fool me, that pill to relax me worked good!!! 🙂

Thanks to all of you that responded and helped relieve my fears.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Shirley,

I am so glad everything went well for you. Glad you were out of it. I can’t imagine being awake and knowing/feeling everything. But I am a wimp when it comes to pain…:o

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Hi Shirley,

glad everything went well. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sherry

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2008 at 10:56 pm

I had a steroid injection in my spine and a CT Mylegram. It is so bad when you can’t have anything and you get so nervous. Been there and I get panic attacks. Glad that pill worked! Whew! I know you are glad to see this over with! Hugs!

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Shirley-You may feel like you have a new pair of legs!! Glad it went well for you. Take good care. Pray that all goes well for you.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2008 at 3:17 pm

Jan, Sherry, Linda, Emma,
      Thank you, it has been three days and the soreness is getting better. I was able to stand and walk a little today and swept my kitchen floor without it hurting my legs. I’m working on those new legs!
      Hugs to all.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Just checking in to see how you and your new legs are doing. Have you heard from your friend or was Angel Cher able to help?

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2008 at 6:38 am

Hi Emma,
      I haven’t heard a thing from her. thought she would have called by now.
      Cheryl can’t help her until I get phone# for her.
      My legs are getting better, the calves don’t hurt anymore. The numbness and tingling is still there from GBS.
      Thanks for asking.
      Take care
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2008 at 8:50 pm

I am glad that the procedures went well and that your legs already feel better. I hope that it helps a lot for you and that you are able to walk much better and be stronger with less pain.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 7:07 am

WithHope,
      Pt says I need braces, waiting to see Dr. about it and possibly more pp treatments. Legs feel better & less pain. I haven’t relasped but can’t walk any better than what you saw with me in Dayton a few months ago.
      Thank you & take care
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2008 at 2:40 pm

Shirley,

What were your symptons of the clogged arteries? Please check out my post for “GBS Oldies” in this same section (so I don’t have to repeat myself). I so totally relate to the anxiety with these type of problems. I am pretty much freaking out right now 😮

I really appreciate any info you can share!!!

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Chrissy,
      I haven’t read your post. My symptons were very heavy feeling in the upper thighs. Swelling and pain in the feet and calves, worse after pt. They would swell very tight and be very painful. I kept them up most of the time to relieve the swelling and pain. The upper part of my right foot had a pulsating feeling in it as though the blood was trying to get through it but couldn’t. Nearly drove me crazy! Don’t know if that is what it was or not but that feeling along with the heavy feeling and the swelling and pain are all gone since I had the angioplasty almost two weeks ago.
      I still have numb feet and tingling in my legs from GBS.
      My anxiety got out of hand with this, I think they put me out more because of it.
      Take care & good luck
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Shirley,

Thanks for your response. I wore some new walking shoes this weekend and my feet were a lot better. I couldn’t believe what my left foot looked like – so much better. And the major pain is gone. My thigh has been hurting for some time… I think for now I can write this off to residuals. It sure was a scary experience last week.