Flu shot: Profit or politics?

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Just for kicks and giggles, we often belly up to the pharmacy counter where flu shots are being sold, as advertised on the cheap sheet placards posted in any green areas of the shopping center.

At Rite-Aid this AM, we asked the pharmacy nurse for a look/see of her liability release form, which she had presented. Upon reading the form, question number three asked: Have you had reactions to previous flu shots? (ie. Guillian-Barre Syndrome?)

I asked the nurse if I checked ‘yes’, how would she respond. She had been schooled regarding GBS consequences and would not give me a shot. I briefed her on my GBS history, with her responding that I was the first person she had ever met who had experienced GBS.

The Rite-Aid flu shot questionaire was the first we have read which actually suggested Guillian-Barre Syndrome, by name. I can suggest other flagging questions: 1) Has anyone in your family history ever had polio? 2) Did you have the swine flu shot of ’76, or any flu shot for that matter, which caused you to exhibit flu sickness at any level?

Now, if I could turn my clock back by 35 months——-

–Mackie

• GH
      March 4, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Here is an excerpt from the CDC Guide to Vaccine Contraindications and Precautions regarding the inactivated influenza vaccine (TIV):

“Note 13:  Whether influenza vaccination specifically might increase the risk for recurrence of GBS is not known; therefore, avoiding vaccinating persons who are not at high risk for severe influenza complications and who are known to have developed GBS within six weeks after a previous influenza vaccination is prudent.  Although data are limited, for the majority of persons who have a history of GBS and who are at high risk for severe complications from influenza, the established benefits of influenza vaccination justify yearly vaccination.”

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/vac-admin/downloads/contraindications-guide-508.pdf

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I had an onset of symptoms 24 hours after getting the flu shot 2 years in a row. I only took it the second time because the military requires it. In 2011, the noticable symptoms last about 3 weeks. However, from the 2012 flu shot I have ongoing symptoms lasting over 6 months now. I do not have a diagnosis yet but they are debating between transverse myelitis and CIDP. I may be going to Walter -Reed soon for further evaluation. Symptoms include excessive pins and needles in both arms and legs, stiffness, weakness, loss of sensation and low back pain. My last EMG showed axonal motor sensory loss in both of my legs and mild demyelination in both wrists.