Feet

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 3:20 pm

I still can’t walk barefooted. I always have to have shoes/slippers on when walking. Has anyone experienced tenderness on the balls of their feet? Is this part of the healing process? Thank you in advance for your response.

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 3:44 pm

When I take off my shoes and go barefoot my feet feel like they curve up in the front like the shoes of an elf. They are tender at first, then they get better. Hopefully, this will go away. Good luck.

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Hello,
      I have CIDP and was diagnosed in 1998. I can only stand on bare feet for a few seconds and would only be able to take a few steps, so my boots go on first thing in the morning and don’t come off until bedtime. For me, standing on bare feet is a weird sensation, it feels like rocks are embedded under the skin. I don’t know if they will ever get better.

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 8:01 pm

When I came home from the hospital in May of 04 the whole bottoms of my feet felt tender and numb. They are still that way today, but I prefer to walk around the house in stocking feet. So you can see from the responses from Marsha and Liz vs. mine, you just have to wait to see how it works out for you. Heres hopping that all out feet get better soon. Take care. – john

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 8:26 pm

hi canada & welcome,

your feet probs are normal & will go away w time. neurontin for neurological pain. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Welcome! I can remember anything with a texture make my feet burn and boy were they tender! Each month that has got better and better! The bottom of the pool does not feel like sand paper anymore. The carpet does not feel like a scrub brush. A crumb on the floor does not feel like sharp glass as much! Last Winter I wore out my socks and slippers. Now I can feel some tempature especially warmth from a blanket across my feet. When I get a shower I still have a feeling that I am wearing my socks into the shower or tub. I still have some burning and they swell, not as much when I wear my shoes. I have always been a person that went barefoot all year round. But now I know they are still tender and I try to remember to wear socks or shoes. One thing I have found it that my feet don’t sweat! Like Liz says we are not giving up but no one knows where we will end up and what residuals we will have with the GBS/CIDP. Hang in there and pamper those feet!

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2007 at 3:47 pm

i also have pain in my feet, its bad with shoes or without them. my feet have been swelled since september. nothing seems to help. its worse without shoes too. i just go on, hey, i’m alive

• Anonymous
      January 10, 2007 at 3:47 pm

FWIW, I am almost 7 yrs. post hospitalization and to this day I still have difficulty walking on deep sandy beaches. The unevenness of the surface causes weird sensations, not exactly pain but not a pleasant feeling either. I almost run to the tideline to walk on a smooth, firm surface.

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 4:26 pm

Calling Canada!:)

As you can see from the previous posts many people with nerve damage experience sore soles on their feet. Even though I didn’t know it at the time the first symptom that something was wrong was one night it felt like I had a big lump of socks just behind my toes on my right foot. When I took off my shoe to look, there was no lump there, not on the outside, not on the inside. I sort of forgot about the whole incident, but other strange things happened with my feet. I lost my balance, and I got increasingly sore until each step was painful. In the course of about six years I first grew worse and worse until it was quite impossible for me to stand or walk without shoes on. For quite some time I had to refuse when the doctor told me to stand barefooted on the floor, even though it was part of his examination.

You might have read elsewhere that I have had a treatment that has helped me, and that my motoric skills have improved immensely compared to what they were at their worst. There are millions and millions of small sensoric nerves and obviously it will take much longer for the myelin to grow back on those, so I’m still in quite a lot of pain including my sore soles. Still every step I take is painful, but I’m used to it so if I don’t think about it, the pain doesn’t bother me much.

What is made it possible for me to walk at all for some years, and for longer distances now, are custom-made soles that I put inside my shoes. I don’t know if this will help you, but it might be worth a try.

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2007 at 10:43 pm

I still have the swelling in my hands and feet also and the burning skin that I don’t know whether it is itchy or burning till I touch it! I agree they say the longer nerves are the last to heal and that is the ones in the arms and legs. Guess we will just have to listen to our bodies. I agree about the good fitting shoes with lots of support.

Sounds wonderful to be walking on the beach again! Winter has set in here. The Beach Parties at the fitness center just are not the same. No beautiful sunsets and sunrises! Put on a CD and listen to the waves and close your eyes and listen to the surf. Give those feet a rest when every you can!

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2007 at 12:20 pm

If my feet could quit burning, tingling, hurting,…you name it, life would be so much better. I was diagnosed back in Sept with GBS…I am a high school football and baseball coach…I have gotten back into the swing of things a little more quickly than I should…November…and my feet have been paying the price since then…Neurontin does nothing except make me a difficult person to be around…Norco takes care of the pain, but I am concerned about the long term effects of being on such a medication…but, it allows me to get through the day…if someone has any advice I would love to hear it.

Go Saints!
      Coach Taylor

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 10:38 pm

Hello,

I too have a difficult time being in my bare feet. Before my GBS (Jan 04) I would always be barefoot. Now I even need to wear socks to bed. I have gotten ortodics for my shoes and they do seem to help with my balance. I have numbness in my feet, still.
      Take Care.
      Bonnie:cool:

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 12:14 am

Hi Coach Taylor: I posted this a little while ago-it is an rx for burning feet that helps me a lot: amitryp-baclo 2%/2%. It is an ointment you need a prescription from your doctor for and a speciality pharmacy to make it, but it helps me within seconds and lasts for hours. You might ask your doctor about it. I am a year and 8 months out but the burning in my feet has not improved much so this stuff helps me out every day. Good luck, Jeff

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 8:48 am

coach,

RU taking neurontin for your feet? take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength