Father in singapore caught GBS Questions…

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 10:04 pm

My father is in Singapore right now because of a business trip. On Friday afternoon (Pacific time) we found out that he was in the hospital and was diagnosed with GBS. He progressed quickly, he checked himself in on Friday able to walk but by Saturday he wasn’t able to move his arms or legs.

Last night (Sunday), after receiving a second electrolyte procedure, he began to wiggle his right thumb and left fingers…

We don’t know if this means he is past the worst or what? …Is he over the worst part, or will he still have to go through the breathing troubles and have to be put onto a respirator.

My mother and brother arrived in Singapore this morning; so hopefully having family with him at last will help him gain strength. Another question of mine is he getting the same treatment he would be getting here in America? Please let me know any thing you can about this and how I can help my dad. This is by far the hardest endurance me and my family have ever come across. Please, any advice will help. Thank you.

-Karly

Please Reply

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 10:56 pm

hi karly & welcome,

the electrolyte procedure must be ivig or plasmapheresis since he is showing improvement. these are the only 2 gbs procedures worldwide. if all goes as it should, he is past his worse. there are exceptions to this rule, but unlikely. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 11:28 pm

Thank you so much for a reply. It is great news to hear that he might be passed the worst. Yes it is the plasma thing you are talking about. He is receiving another one right now. From what I have come to understand about this is that it is a slow recovery process and will take time. Thank you for the support.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Karly,

Its wonderful that they started plasmapheresis so soon! Often doctors dont do these treatments, or there is a big hoopla with the insurance companies so treatment is delayed, which defeats the object of early treatment. The norm is to do about 5 treatments in a session, however it can be less. Not sure how much you know, but the plasma or IVIg is done to try and stop further attack and often helps recovery time to a degree (it does not ‘make him better’ as such), however as you said, it is a long, slow recovery. Great news about your mom and brother being able to go out to see him. Are they doing physical therapy? At this point it would only be the therapist moving his legs and arms herself and to prevent muscle atrophy. His feet should also be supported so they dont develop foot drop.
      Keep asking questions, let him know about this site and that we are all thinking of him.

There is a topic on the [B]Main Forum[/B] called “[I]Things I wish they knew[/I]” (just do a search on it), that may be helpful at times.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 8:46 pm

It sounds like they are doing all the right things. Please keep us posted and let him know that we’re here for him (and you!).

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2007 at 3:11 am

Hi Karly, sorry to hear about your father. I am glad to hear that he has family over there with him now. It sounds like they are on top of things if they started Plasmapheresis quickly. Please keep us posted and if you would like to get the GBS patient package from this foundation you can call 610-667-0131 and request one. It helped me a great deal having information from here in the beginning. Please keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions, we are here to help. Your father and family are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Jerimy

PS-If I can ever be of help feel free to email me jerimyschilz at hotmail.com

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2007 at 11:47 am

Your dad will get better, it just takes time. I would like to say something, I noticed you said, “Father in Singapore [B]Caught[/B] GBS” I need to clarify that you do not catch GBS, it developes from your immune system going haywire. “Catch” would imply that GBS is contagious and it is not contagious.

GBS stands for Get Better Slowly:)

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2007 at 1:37 pm

Karly,

Wanted to let you know many of us are thinking about you and your father. I can only imagine the frustration with the distance. Please keep us posted as to his progress – there will be progress just very slowly, so hang in there!

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Hi Karly,
      Hope things are going well for your dad. Let us know where he lives in the US when he gets back so maybe a liason can contact him. Keep us updated.

Sherry

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2007 at 4:44 am

Hai karly,
      Good to hear that ur father is improving, do read all the posts in this forum,so u can have some suggestions and myths about GBS. Ask ur father to be bold and there is no need to srink. It does take time depending on the will power the person has to cure. God bless him.