EMG Question Needles VS Pads

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2006 at 6:09 pm

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=black]Hello ALL,[/COLOR][/FONT]
      [FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=black]I have a question about the EMG test. What is the difference between the needles and the pad ? Are they both EMG test or is the one with the needles a EMG and the pad test something different. I had the one with the pads done and the Doctor I had called it a EMG, it showed nerve damage. I saw another Doctor that wanted to do the test with the needles just to see how things were going, so I was wondering if that was even needed???? [COLOR=red]I hate[/COLOR] [COLOR=red]hate needles!!!!!!!!![/COLOR] [COLOR=magenta]Thanks Tammie[/COLOR] :confused: [/COLOR][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2006 at 6:26 pm

Tammie,

I believe the test with pads that you are referring to is an EKG (electrocardiogram) which tests your heart beat pattern for irregularities.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2006 at 6:34 pm

Thanks,
      But no its not an EKG. I have those done too. Maybe I did not explain myself well sorry. The Doctor puts the pads on you, he put it on my legs, hands, arms in different locations and then they shock you;
      electrical shocks. The pads are somewhat like the EKG ones. They did it to test my nerves and in the report form the doc they list it as an EMG.
      [COLOR=magenta]Thanks Tammie[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2006 at 9:38 pm

[COLOR=”Purple”]Hi Tammie, I know what you’re talking about. My first EMG was done using small pads, moved around on my legs, and arms. When the tech was done I heard her talking to the doctor out in the hall about the results, which weren’t good. He then came in and poked around on my arms and legs with needles, I guess to varify the results. My second EMG 6 months later was pads only. I don’t think one is more accurate than the other as the results were the same both ways. I’d ask your doctor if it’s truly necessary to use the needles, considering your fear of needles. take care, Vicki[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2006 at 9:42 pm

the emg uses needles that bypass the need for the nerves to activate the muscles. if the muscles do not respond, there are muscle problems. the ncv uses pads to send electrical signals through your nerves. reading the results of these signals tells if any & the amount of nerve damage. many docs call either test an emg. once gbs is Dxed there is no need to do another emg, just an ncv if deemed necessary. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 1:29 am

i just got a new neuro and he wanted to do both. i hate both but told him i would do the ncv but not the emg. he wanted to compare to the others i had done about 5 years ago. He informed me that my nerve damage in my legs are much worse, yeah…and that is why i didn’t want another one done, i already knew the answer…
      why do these tests if we can’t fix the results? does anyone else think this? or am i just being stuborn about not wanting to do them….lol

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 10:32 am

hi lisa,

you are not being stubborn. you know how you are w/o the ncv. it is for the docs benefit only. btw, i feel the neuros should run the ncv 1st & if nerve damage is shown no need for the emg. the odds of both muscle & nerve damage are low. this is what my neuro did & i felt it was ok w me. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength