EMG or not

• Ron
      March 7, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Hi all,
      I’m coming upon the two year mark since my onset in July of 2015. I’m walking, driving, and shopping on my own. I still have some issues with my gait and like most of us standing in place affects my balance. My biggest issue is my hands and trying to get my fingers to work. I was diagnosed with axonal GBS and had only one EMG for that purpose. I’m scheduled to see my neurologist in April and wondering if it’s worth having the test. My OT therapist says it’s only going to tell me what I already know. The neurologist from my acute rehabilitation recommended letting my condition continue its clinical course. I would appreciate the opinion of others who have been dealing with axonal damage.

• GH
      March 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm

I had one EMG because my neurologist wanted it. If he (or she) doesn’t want it, you don’t need it.

• jk
      March 7, 2017 at 7:29 pm

And, according to your OT, what is it you already know? Is finger dexterity, gripping grasping and fine motor control improving, stable or getting worse?

Ditto question for the neurologist. There are multiple ‘clinical’, as in-the-office, tests that could be performed. Are those results improved, stable or declining?

Further, does ‘let your condition continue it’s clinical course’ include on-going treatment of any kind other than OT?

Running any more EMG/NCV test will not answer those questions.

Without proper, effective treatment others on this web site have continued their clinical course straight into a wheel chair. My clinical course ultimately left me unable to hold a pencil or to walk without assitive aids.

Ask your doctor about these questions.

• GH
      March 7, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Ron, are you using Theraputty to exercize your hands?

• March 7, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Please see the following publication for additional information about diagnosis:
      http://30g7el1b4b1n28kgpr414nuu-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/AcuteCareICU13.pdf

If you have the axonal form of GBS (AMAN, or AMSAN) you should explore Rituximab treatments with your doctor and insurance company. Input a keyword into the forum search box above to perform additional research.

• Ron
      March 8, 2017 at 9:34 am

Hi GH,
      Thanks for your response. I do use the Theraputty at home and during my OT. I remove pennies and place them back. For now I’m using the medium (green) but I hope to progress to the blue soon. I can see the improvements with my pinch strength which is very helpful in my daily functions. I was told by my OT therapist that recovery would be from proximal to distal, so we started by strength training for my shoulders, biceps and triceps. We combined strength training with electrical stimulation when we noticed movement in the wrist. That is where I am now trying to get movement and strength to my hands especially the fingers. I still do my upper body training but with more focus on my fine motor movement.
      Ron

• Ron
      March 8, 2017 at 9:42 am

Thanks Jim,
      I will ask my neurologist about Rituximab treatments at my next visit.
      Ron