Electrolytes

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2010 at 11:44 am

Hello: I have been reading on the forum for about 2 1/2 years but had no reason to post until now. I was diagnosed with CIDP in November of 2007; after five days in the hospital (barely able to walk, left arm unusable, face numb, etc) being treated with a loading dose of IVIG. I have been treated every four weeks since for four days with 55 grams a day of IVIG preceeded by 80 mg of Solumedrol. It appears to work; I am back on my feet with AFOs on both legs and a cane, and can walk short distances. I don’t use either at home, since I can hold on to things. The one thing that the treatments have not helped is the constant fatigue, which sometimes is so bad that I am unable to function. About two weeks ago, after some thought about the problem, I started taking a dose of powered electrolytes in water twice a day. The constant feeling of fatigue immediately lifted a bit. I have tried taking the electrolytes, then not, and the effect appears both regular and almost immediate. Has anyone had experience with electrolytes? Thank you.

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Fred,

I have not been diagnosed with CIDP, but I have read some other posts on here about medications called Provigil, Nuvigil and Alertec that help with fatigue. I researched the Provigil and there was a lot of really good feedback on this medication. It sounds like it is being used for people with MS and chronic fatigue syndrome, etc. Hope this helps. I have not had any positive experience with electrolytes, but that sounds interesting.

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Fred,

I think you might be on to something; I did some cursory searches, and there are a lot of reports on Google about electrolytes being useful in treating neuropathy, to aid both fatigue and cramping. It makes sense, too, as electrolytes are an important factor in nerve conduction, etc. One report stated that a lot of the drugs used to treat neuropathies cause dehydration, which the electrolytes would address. I’ll do some more checking, but thanks for the post.

Elmo

• April 5, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Potassium and Vitamin D as well, magnessium too!

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2010 at 11:05 am

[QUOTE=Elmo]Fred,

I think you might be on to something; I did some cursory searches, and there are a lot of reports on Google about electrolytes being useful in treating neuropathy, to aid both fatigue and cramping. It makes sense, too, as electrolytes are an important factor in nerve conduction, etc. One report stated that a lot of the drugs used to treat neuropathies cause dehydration, which the electrolytes would address. I’ll do some more checking, but thanks for the post.

Elmo[/QUOTE]

[I]Thank you for the post, Fred. [U]Very[/U] interesting idea.

Keep checking, Elmo. And I’d not heard of the dehydration problem … with which meds?

Rocky[/I]

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2010 at 12:44 pm

ivig is realy bad for dehydration. I get 1000ml of salin before and after each infusion. Tho latley I have ended up bck in the hospital for dehydration, low electolytes and low potasium. I am no longer able to get ivig due to the side effects.

sonia

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Fred for years, long before my dx of cidp I have noticed and been advised my by naturopathic physican to keep my electorlyes up. She recommds celtic or himylan salt in water, as well as a banana a day and magnessium supplementation.
      Since I overdid over the past few days, today I am also adding Gatorade. I don’t like the taste of gatorade, but when my body needs it, I find it quite pleasent. the same goes with the salty water.
      Adequate hydration and electrolyte balance is seential to the sodium postassium pump necessary for muscle function.

Hope this helps,
      Erin

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Erin,

If you don’t like the taste of Gatorade, try SmartWater. It’s unflavored bottled water, with a full electrolyte load.

(Now, do I have to put in a disclaimer, or are we all “big people”?). 🙂

While doing further research, I verified something I thought I’d learned in school…electrolytes are what allow bodily fluids to conduct electricity. Reduced electrolyte levels impair proper nerve and muscle activity. Sounds pretty relevant to neuropathies, doesn’t it?

Elmo

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Just be careful how much you take in. I drank watered down Gatorade for awhile and I still blew up like a balloon and my kidneys were very unhappy. I do drink Vitamin Water now and then and it does not seem to make me blow up like Gatorade did.

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2010 at 6:59 pm

We at times don’t drink enuf water, because it’s not always easy to go to where we need to be then? But Gatorade for me is useful the day prior to infusions as it helps w/hydration. Be careful about it tho if you are diabetic -just read the ingredients.
      Dawn is right about Potassium, D and Magnesium? Just keep an eagle eye on B-6 tho, as too much can make neuropathies worse. The first 3 are good in helping nerve re-generation.
      I hope this helps a bit.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 12:45 am

wow Lots of good ideas.. never thought of vitamin water… gonna try that

Sonia

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 8:43 am

FYI Gaterade makes a drink called G2 that is way lower in sugar than the regular gaterade. It has only 4 -5 grams of sugar in it.

Its what I buy for Ryan for after his chemo treatments cuz he has to drink drink drink for a week after to flush his bladder of the cytoxan. he does a combo of water and G2.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 9:29 am

Magnesium and Potassium are electrolytes, btw. Not sure if that was being stated earlier or if people were saying to use those “in addition” to electrolytes.

One of my customers manufactures electrolyte replacement products in the little individual tubes that you add to a bottle of water…I’ll try to find out some brand names.

Another thought…Pedialyte can be drank by anyone, it’s not just for kids. Don’t know what the sugar content is though.

Elmo

• April 7, 2010 at 10:25 am

the naturopath suggested taking magnesium and potassium supplements.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 11:49 am

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom]the naturopath suggested taking magnesium and potassium supplements.[/QUOTE]

[I]Be careful with the potassium, Dawn. I’ve long known overdosing on potassium can sometimes be fatal. I googled just now and found this: [/I]

A potassium overdose will cause palpitations; stomach cramps; diarrhoea; muscle spasms; slow, weak pulse; irritability; anxiety; tiredness; heart failure.

Be careful when supplementing to prevent a potassium overdose. Your doctor can give you information about any dangers and if it is safe for you to supplement. There are some ionized mineral solutions on the market that contain a balanced measurement of minerals that we need each day. However, if you have an underlying problem, this method can present problems and so too can eating food high in potassium.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Guess that was my point, too, although I didn’t explain it well enough. I wasn’t trying to contradict your naturopath, just trying to point out what Rocky said…people should be aware that Potassium and Magnesium will be included in beverages advertising “electrolytes”. If you’re already taking supplements you could “over-do” it if you’re not aware of what’s in your beverage.

The most common electrolytes are: Sodium, Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Bicarbonate, and Chloride. Anyone already taking any of these as supplements should probably talk to their doctor before adding to the mix.

Elmo

• April 7, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I wonder how much gatorade would be too much. Sometimes in the summer when we have a bunch of boys over, they will drink a whole case. I think I am going to look up the amounts necessary.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 6:42 pm

I am big on gatorade after an attack. IF you are taking solumedrol and then pulled off of it you might not realize that cortisol which is your bodies natural version of this steroid, regulates sodium potassium exchange and is a natural anti diuretic. when you take corticosteroids no matter how long, you do with draw when they are taken away. I noticed with me that I urinate very frequently after and must replenish or else wierd stuff happens with the balence in my body

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 7:23 pm

According to the Linus Pauling Institute, a “normal” Potassium intake for adult men and women should be 4700mg’s per day; teens should be 3800 mg’s per day.

According to Gatorade, an 8-oz. drink consists of 93 mg of chloride, 36.6 mg of potassium and 95 mg of sodium.

Read more: [url]http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet-nutrition/articles/63441.aspx#ixzz0kSXRKFke[/url]

Now…it says 8 OUNCE DRINK…have any of YOU ever seen an 8 ounce bottle of Gatorade? That’s only 1 measuring cup. The average size that I see everywhere is about 4 times that, or 32 ounces/1 quart. Plus, you get all those salts from various sources, too.

Honestly, unless your child is drinking, oh, 8 bottles a day, I’d bet their safe. Another report showed that for every liter of water you lose due to perspiration, you loose almost 1500 mg’s of Potassium, so, if they’re being active, sweating, and drinking, then they’re probably safe.

In the military they used to tell us…”If you don’t have to PEE, then you’re NOT drinking enough!”. They would force us, when we were in equatorial climates, to drink a liter an hour. And we couldn’t stay hydrated…

Isn’t science fun?

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Finding the ‘balance’ is the art. As for the ‘P’ factor? Too true.
      Hydrating for IVIG means hydrating till you almost ‘slosh’. The aspects of things like gatorade drinks have pro’s and con’s, so USE common sense? Solumedrol, and a slew of other steroids as well as anti-seizure meds do deplete us of both magnesium and potassium. Web up the full medical prescribing information on any meds you are on….be surprised about the common and uncommon side-effects in this quarter. Be aware and then pro-active. The learning the whole lingo is a hard part? But once one’s gotten used to the ins and outs of GBS or CIDP? Piece of cake. Tho there is a heap of info to it all.
      Gotta tell you? When you run low? As in the hot weather we’re having here? You know it! Always keep a juice pak at hand to slurp up if you get to the near-bad points….
      Good hydrating to all!