Dx GBS but thinking its CIDP

• June 24, 2016 at 10:05 am

When I was in the hospital in January, I was diagnosed with GBS, but now I have a feeling it’s CIDP. The pain has gotten worse since January. Has anyone been diagnosed with GBS and it turned into CIDP?

• jk
      June 24, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Yes, many people. One way of looking at it is is that GBS is acute. That is, it happens right now, immediately and CIDP is considered the chronic, or long lasting, version of the acute phase. One guideline is if the symptoms persist for more than 8 weeks, or return and continue, or worsen, it is considered CIDP.

Generally speaking, treatment is the same. I recommend you read the article, on this website called ” All About CIDP.”

here- http://www.gbs-cidp.org/cidp/all-about-cidp/

Or, at the top of this page click on CIDP.

• GH
      June 25, 2016 at 4:11 am

I was originally diagnosed as GBS and changed to CIDP after a few weeks. I don’t think this is unusual. They are similar in most respects, so GBS will usually be the diagnosis until the pattern of symptoms suggests that CIDP is a better diagnosis.

The diagnosis is just a name anyway, not the thing. I am atypical under either diagnosis.

• June 27, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Hi
      I also was initially diagnosed as GBS and changed to CIDP after a few month…EMG showed worse after Plasma & IVIG.
      When there is no improvement or symptoms become worse they declare it as CIDP