Drop Foot Discussion

• November 28, 2010 at 3:34 pm

If I were an American Indian in the times of the American west frontier, I would probably be called CHIEF DROPFOOT. I’m sure there were no AFO’s at the time to help people who got GBS. I often wonder if GBS was always afflicting humans or did it arrive at some specific time in history? Anyway, the subject of drop foot is worthy of comment. The regular information says your feet are the last to heal, if they heal. So you wear AFO’s and wait. I read there is surgery for drop foot. I wrote to the surgeon who does this and await his answer. They do it for different afflictions that cause drop foot. You can google drop foot surgery like I did, but GBS is not mentioned. What is your experience with drop foot or feet. Tell me how they became alive again if they did. Or tell me if they did not and if it’s a permanent condition. Thanks.

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2010 at 11:00 am

Oh, sorry. This is gbs forum not the cidp forum

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Hi Chief Dropfoot :p

I’m a rather oldie with the regular GBS stuff for the past 13 years, but last year I started falling forward with my left shoe getting marked up and knees taking the brunt of my fall. I have also fallen sideways which is I assume from no reflexes and very little, if any, balance. I haven’t looked into it much… have always read posts here from others so you might try a search on this site for it. I did start using a cane to make me more aware and haven’t fallen with the cane!

GBS Oldie – Dropfoot Newbie

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2010 at 11:51 am

i have drop foot in both feet. the cause as i was told was a combination of not being able to stand and not wearing my AFOs. i had GBS now CIDP. I had surgery to correct the problem. they cut my achilles tendons repositioned my feet and stitched the tendon back together. I am now able to walk with asisstannce. But the saga continues….. seems that i am now walking on the outside of my left foot. So i will have another surgery to fix that. they will move the tendon from the inside to the outside to put the foot back in the right position and my heel is twisted so they will break it and correct it. This means 6 weeks off my foot and back to the rehab center.

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Hi, Hedley and Jojo

I have drop foot as well — very slight in right foot, pretty pronounced in left foot. I am hoping that the stem cell transplant procedure that I recently had will eventually result in regeneration of relevant nerves and muscles.

I am curious to know where you learned that the feet are the last to heal. Is it because they are furthest from the spinal cord and thus last to get signals from the nerves? If you could cite an article or other evidence, I would be very appreciative.

I too have heard of an operation having to do with moving tendons in the foot as a means of correcting drop foot. In fact, it was mentioned to me by an orthopedist whom I saw in follow-up to a fracture of my foot (I tripped over it). Has anyone else had this operation and, if so, what is your experience?

Thanks.

Sharon

• December 4, 2010 at 11:08 am

Sharon: Last to heel are outer extremeties – source of info, my neurologist….please ask your doctor.
      I have never been told that stem cells are a treatment for GBS or surgery for drop foot.. But I will ask. Please google drop foot surgery for Guillain Barre and see what you get. I will ask my Dr. about both.

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Sorry, I have CIDP, not GBS. I should have specified that. I had SCT to effect a cure for CIDP; with the disease gone, I hope to experience nerve regeneration and a return of muscular function in my legs and feet and thus no more drop foot.

Sharon