Don’t give up on yourself!

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Many times I have questioned my recovery. I am sure we all have. I was paralyzed and hours away from being intubated when the IVIG was started and my response was almost immediate. After five days of IVIG and 4 days of additional recovery, I walked out of the hospital being assisted only by the arm of a nurse. My GBS experience could certainly be classified as mild, but I know that I will forever feel it’s effects. My recovery, now in its 9th month, has been rocky. I have been back to the Neuro, convinced that I had developed into CIDP and seeking additional treatments of IVIG. I have had numerous set backs and disappointments. I even accepted the fact that I was as good as I was going to get and settled into my new body and inactive life. I read many posts that proclaim full recovery takes years or that it happens so slow that you do not see yourself getting better. For many that may be the case. During the last 9 months, I would exercise only to suffer for the next few days with sore muscles, pulled muscles, cramps and extreme fatigue. 2 months ago I rode my stationary bike pushing myself for 6 miles and for the next couple weeks was on crutches with pulled/torn calf muscle and a cortisone shot in my right knee. I have almost always tried to keep a positive attitude. My two former favorite pastimes were playing golf and fly fishing. To bolster my positive attitude, I ordered new golf clubs and early this month I ordered a new fly fishing reel and line. I had a talk with myself and God and decided that I was not done fighting the effects of this disease. I joined weight watchers and lost 10 lbs this month. My body and mind have told me it is time. Time to finally begin this recovery. I looked at my body and saw atrophied muscles. I felt week. I started riding my stationary bike just a little every other day and yesterday I rode 7 miles in 30 minutes and followed that with 10 minutes of upper body workout. This morning I woke up and when I stood up from the of bed I felt strong again. I can now feel the water from the shower splashing on my feet and my toes touching each other. I now know that I will play golf and that I will use that new fishing reel and once again wade in a rushing river. It will still take time to accomplish these desires, but I now believe it will happen. Do not give up on yourself. Give your body time to heal. And if you are like me, one day your body will tell you it is time to take your life back. It may not be the life you had before, but make it the best life you can. Be positive. The guitar I have not played for 9 months is laying on my bed. As soon as this is posted, I am going to play it.

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I have and will continue to go thru the same effects. I went on Herbolife and lost 45 lbs is 4 weeks. It was regimented with vitimans and cell activators. It has helped my energy level and started muscle mass builders. All seems to help and I feel the improvements daily. Still have those days but I’ll live with them. Good luck. Started my own health distribution business. No more prolonged standing or even leaving the house unless I just want to.

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2010 at 6:31 pm

After my first round with GBS, I lounged on the sofa for 6 months feeling sorry for myself. Then one day, I was watching a t.v. program daytime talk show and the guest star (I do not even remember who or what I was watching) was telling of the recovery she had been through following an accident. She, too, had laid around feeling sorry for herself. Then one day she had a stern talk with herself. She sat up in her chair – pulled herself up straight and tall – and stood up erect and tall. From that day forward her recovery and return to work in show-biz was rapid. Well, I thought, I can, too! So I sat up as straight and tall as I could. I lifted my chin up high. You know what? The whole world looked different from that angle. I continued my good posture (I had to remind myself often) and my road to recovery was well under way. When I am feeling down in the dumps even today, I find that if I pull myself “up” – well – it works. Just try it.

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2010 at 7:52 pm

This is why we all keep coming back to our forum – at first we read the posts almost hourly, going back months past on threads, learning from other’s experiences. Then we feel strong enough to share and give our encouragement and thoughts to others. And, as with me, some of us find our recovery going a couple of steps backwards and we are back looking for answers. But, through it all – through this awful fight, this long journey, this time for reevaluation of our lives – we know we have others out there who understand. Others who are walking this path, too – or not walking as the case may be. But through it all we have each other for support – and to remind us to get up off the couch and start living our lives again – however we can. I remember Harry B’s excitement when he and his cane were able to make it down the street. And Northern Gutiar Guy listening to his music and gaining strength from it. Dear D P who enjoys her garden, even when she is no longer able to be as active in it as she once was. The dew still clings to morning grass like diamonds, the birds still give us the best music available. And we still get up each day and find ways to be productive. Maybe our lives have changed – but our reslove is stronger, our care for others is deeper and we listen to our bodies more. Thank you all for all you have given me – it is my hope I can do the same.

• September 27, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Atta boy Mallard! I hope you cooked on that SG. Mean guitar, used to produce some of the most snarly and aggressive riffs ever. However, very sweet as well, think Santana!

Your message is also so hopeful considering how far you went down. It rings as loud as the guitars of Tony Iommi, Angus Young and Pete Townsend (wicked SG players!) all wrapped into one.

Let there be rock!

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2010 at 8:04 pm

I posted this cartoon a year or so ago, but I always fall back to it. I first saw it as a pencil drawing tacked over the door to my first Escape and Evade class in the military. It has been my mantra ever since. And it realllly helped me when I got sick.
      Cheers!
      Johnny Mac
      [ATTACH]1283[/ATTACH]

• September 30, 2010 at 8:09 pm

[QUOTE=Johnny Mac]I posted this cartoon a year or so ago, but I always fall back to it. I first saw it as a pencil drawing tacked over the door to my first Escape and Evade class in the military. It has been my mantra ever since. And it realllly helped me when I got sick.
      Cheers!
      Johnny Mac
      [ATTACH]1283[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
      That’s priceless! Johnny you are tougher than John Wayne!

• October 4, 2010 at 9:50 am

Hey Mallard

Did you play the SG the other night? Hvae you ever thought about playing some slide in open D? I’m thinking of going and buying one this week for a messaround. I still can’t play acoustic and my electric sounds rough.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2010 at 1:24 pm

NGG…..

It was fun…….

I played a few chords and got through “House of the Rising Sun” without to much difficulty although my bar chords were muffled some. It was very enjoyable.

I took my guitar completely apart and gave it a good bath, put it back together along with a new strap made by Levi. (A new strap to me is what a new purse does for my wife!”)

It is still out of the case and on its stand and greets me every morning. Trying to play it a little daily. Decided to try and learn a couple of new songs:
      “Broken Down Cowboy” by Fogerty and
      “Behind Blue Eyes” by The Who

I am going to order a new Mic (looking at a Shure SM58) and see if my throat is up to making a little noise.

Let me know if you get that slide. It sounds like a good plan.

Best to you my Brother!

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm

In my opinion, giving up is tantamount to no longer wanting to live. When I was first diagnosed with GBS, things were a bit rocky as I lacked a support system. I had to realize the only way I’d survive (mentally and physically) is if I depended on God and myself as much as possible. GBS and its residuals may have stolen bits of my independence, however, I’m fiercely holding onto everything else.

I try my best not to sweat the small stuff. I pick and choose my battles in life wisely as nothing is more important than my health and peace (piece~grin) of mind.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!! 🙂

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Giving up is not an option.
      I’ve learned the hard way that healing can’t be forced or hurried, but with co-operation in the healing process, improvements are happening.

I didn’t want to say this till I was sure, but for a while now, I’ve been able to walk “unlike Frankenstein” sometimes, with my feet close together again. Just small walking steps, because any time I try to make the footsteps longer, it’s back to Frank again. My footsteps are often rolling now…heel to toe…hurts like fury…but I think it’s an improvement in my gait.

Hafta put another layer of foam insoles in my shoes, because the constant heel pain is enough to wear me down. It helped when I put on my sneakers as soon as I got up in the morning, and wore a different pair outdoors to do all the errands. My other shoes had more of a pointed toe shape, and they were actually hindering my healing and causing excess pain. My sneakers are rounded-toed and I tell ya, it’s really wonderful to be able to have a bit more stamina now, and get more done around the house.

PS: In Canada, we call them running-shoes, not sneakers; but I’m not doing any running in them, it’s much more like sneaking.

• October 6, 2010 at 2:34 pm

[QUOTE=MallardDrake]NGG…..

It was fun…….

I played a few chords and got through “House of the Rising Sun” without to much difficulty although my bar chords were muffled some. It was very enjoyable.

I took my guitar completely apart and gave it a good bath, put it back together along with a new strap made by Levi. (A new strap to me is what a new purse does for my wife!”)

It is still out of the case and on its stand and greets me every morning. Trying to play it a little daily. Decided to try and learn a couple of new songs:
      “Broken Down Cowboy” by Fogerty and
      “Behind Blue Eyes” by The Who

I am going to order a new Mic (looking at a Shure SM58) and see if my throat is up to making a little noise.

Let me know if you get that slide. It sounds like a good plan.

Best to you my Brother![/QUOTE]
      That’s great! I love Eric Burdon’s stuff, really gritty for the time. And Behind Blue eyes has been a personal anthem for years. Nobody got young man’s angst quite like Pete townsend.

The SM 58 is a great mic, I have 2. They are durable, have a low-noise floor and a great price! They have an inexpensive model that has all the same guts but is constructed a little cheaper. Same sound, just can’t throw it against a wall like a SM58.

Throats make all kinds of great noises, I hope you enjoy it.

I still have not picked up a slide, but i have been listening to a lot of Howlin Wolf this week to get in the mood. In the meantime I have been messing around on Garageband on my mac. Pretty cool program that let’s you multitrack but you can record at whatever tempo you wish with no change to the pitch. Makes up for not being able to hit the notes on time. I had fun spending 10 hours to put a 1 min ditty together. I’ll send you a copy if you want.

Rock ‘n’ roll can heal!

Best to you Mallard!

P.S. Thanks DU and Tina for the positive messages! You both rock!