Did you get a metallic taste in your mouth

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 1:58 am

A couple of days before I was dx with GBS, besides the general weakness and pins and needles sensations, I also had a really strong metallic (only way I can describe it) taste in my mouth. I asked the neuro-drs what it was and they said they weren’t able to elaborate so it went nowhere but I know I definitely had it because it was so strong and I kept commenting to my family about it. Did anyone else have the same thing happen to them or know whether it is one of the symptoms of GBS??

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 2:50 am

Yes, that is frequently stated by people in the early stages of GBS.

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 2:52 am

I didn’t have it during my paralysis events, my sense of taste and smell were gone, but i do get it quite abit since. sometimes it is started by me eating something, touching something or being around something. but my senses still aren’t back to normal yet so i can’t really describe what smells start it going.:confused:

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 9:05 am

Yes, I had that before being diagnosed and still do sometimes.

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 10:57 am

Wondering if that could have meant you might have had some heavy metal poisoning? I really don’t know, but I do experience that sometimes when I am real tired and then I notice I am grinding my teeth – so I figure that is from my fillings. Just my thoughts.

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Frank had the heavy metal taste all through his illness and he didn’t have heavy metal poisoning. I think it’s just one of the crappy things that goes along with GBS/CIDP.

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2007 at 5:45 pm

Cool, thanks for that, I thought it must be related to the GBS somehow. Once I was totally paralysed it wasn’t noticeable because I lost all my sense of taste, smell etc and it’s never returned since. Keep ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 10:49 am

I had the metal taste way before any other symptoms began showing up. It was the first symptom and I hope that it could be used as a way for earlier diagnosis.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 10:57 am

This is very interesting to me. I thought my “metal” taste was from the different medications they were trying on me when i became sick. My very first symptom seemed to be my vision so i was freaking out over that and didn’t really notice how much my taste was off.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 11:23 am

How I hated that metallic taste!! Try and explain that one ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

My soapbox is ~ [I]nothing[/I] is “out-of-line” for a residual! It’s easy to say “that can’t be” but 10 yrs. from now the medical community will be saying “guess what we’ve discovered!”. . .

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2007 at 3:55 pm

I had a metallic taste or blood taste too.

I have Hashimoto’s/hypothyroid with antibodies of the chart, and I discovered that my vitamin B12 cobalamin was very low too, though not below the range but close.

Researching I found that B12 deficiency can give metallic taste and/or other funny tasting problems, parastesia, feeling and touch problems, walking and coordination trouble, memory problems, depression, symptoms from the nerve system. First symptoms: tiredness, heart beating, shortness of breath and dizziness, head aches and pains in the legs.

I found out that B12 deficiency is often accompanying a hypothyroid condition.

I am just wondering whether B12 deficiency might be accompanying every autoimmune disease.

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2007 at 7:43 pm

That’s interesting Ninus. I remember saying to the doc’s was I deficient in someway but they had never had anyone else complain of this so in short they couldn’t give me an explanation. Looking back now this was my very first symptom as well because it started tasting funny the day before and then when I woke up the next morning in hell ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I had the pins and needles, weakness, etc. There definitely has to be a link to the GBS somehow, let’s hope the “experts” add that one to their list of things to do lol.

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 7:13 am

I’ve had this “metallic” taste in my mouth for years and years – long before I knew anything was wrong with me. Aching, fatigue and this special kind of blurry\dizzy feeliing was there too. They all seem to be a part of “our” nerve syndroms.

Ninus, I don’t have B-12 deficiency, but I take extra vitamine B-complex tablets.

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 2:04 pm

[QUOTE=Allaug]I’ve had this “metallic” taste in my mouth for years and years – long before I knew anything was wrong with me. Aching, fatigue and this special kind of blurry\dizzy feeliing was there too. They all seem to be a part of “our” nerve syndroms.

Ninus, I don’t have B-12 deficiency, but I take extra vitamine B-complex tablets.[/QUOTE]

Allaug, have you had tests for B12? Why I ask is that you can actually have symptoms before you get to the bottom range. What were your results? Sometimes it can be another anaemia.

My vitamine B-complex tablets do not contain B12.

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 4:14 pm

i’m the same way Allaug, mine started way back, about the same time that i had tingles and numbness in my legs and lost my sense of smell. and i get an increase in metalic taste right before i go into my paralysis events. weird-huh!!:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 6:48 pm

You all have me thinking. My neuro just told me I was in the low range in B12 – I asked for copies but haven’t gotten them yet. I am taking Nature’s Way alive and it has these in it:

Viamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCVpyridoxal 5-phosphate) 50 mg 2500%
      Vitamin B-12 (as cyanocobalamin) 200 mcg 3333%

Do you all think this is good stuff?

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 7:48 am

[QUOTE=Chrissy]You all have me thinking. My neuro just told me I was in the low range in B12 – I asked for copies but haven’t gotten them yet. I am taking Nature’s Way alive and it has these in it:

Viamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCVpyridoxal 5-phosphate) 50 mg 2500%
      Vitamin B-12 (as cyanocobalamin) 200 mcg 3333%

Do you all think this is good stuff?[/QUOTE]

Chrissy, I do not know Nature’s Way, but it sounds right with B6 and B12.

If you have been tested low range in B12 while taking Nature’s Way with B12, maybe your body cannot absorb vitamine B12. If so, the following tests are recommended to establish whether or not you can absorb: P-metylmalonat, Homocystein, Intrinsic Factor.

My own B12 has gone down though I am eating normally with both meat and eggs, and it has gone up with a B12 supplement, but it still needs to get a bit higher.

When eating normally vitamines should not be necessary. I have been very sceptical about vitamines and supplements in general, as I just saw it as another way to get money out of people. However, I am revising my opinion, as I seem to get better with supplements (getting older and wiser as well ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

I have also been wondering how much exactly the autoimmune diseases have in common. Certainly a lot of symptoms. Sometimes I wish I was a doctor so I could research and find an answer to all this. So many people need an answer and a cure.

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 8:41 am

I do not recall having a metallic taste in my mouth during my GBS or for years afterwards but about 5 years ago I got a really strong metallic taste in my mouth and never could figure out why. During the last 8 years I have been having these terrible boil type sore on my face and could not for the life of me figure out why I was getting them (I have always had bad skin but never like this) well, my daughter a junior this year, was taking a health science tech class and she asked me to get her some vitamin B. I bought some liquid B and the whole family has been taking it since the first of the year and low and behold I have not had one more boil on my face..I also feel alot better physically. Now if I could just get my being so cold all the time under control I would feel almost “normal”. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Karen

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2007 at 10:06 am

Ninus – Thanks for your input. I started these vitamins AFTER my doc told me of my low b level. I have been on it now about 3 weeks and don’t know if I feel a great bit better, but I sure don’t feel worse. I am getting a bit more exercise in too, so I should count my blessings that I feel okay!

And I don’t think I have had the grinding of my teeth in the afternoon, so no metal taste in the past few weeks. Hmmm :confused: