Diabetes 1.5

• June 4, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate the symptoms of diabetes and CIDP, and perhaps gbs. After 25 years with diabetes type 2 (diagnoses from Kaiser), I change insurance, see an endocrinologist, who then tells me that I don’t have Type 2, but do I have diabetes 1.5. (wtf?)

Type 1 is an inflammatory autoimmune disease of the pancreas. I write this for those of you who are skinny, as I am, but your PCP or neuro is telling you that you have diabetes type 2, along with CIDP, and perhaps the accompanying dysfunctions of both diseases: peripheral neuropathy, optic nerve problems, weakness, bowel & bladder problems, etc. I still have type 2… go figure!

Diabetes 1.5 has been known since 1970. I’ve been skinny all my life and I’ve NEVER met the criteria for diabetes type 2. Now, with long-lasting insulin pen-injections once a day, I am finally bringing down my glucose readings to normal. I no longer have to wonder if it is diabetes or CIDP that is slowly destroying me (CIDP is a progressive disease).