dental work precautions?

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2008 at 2:20 am

Have an abcessed tooth that needs to be pulled 😮 😮 and some other dental work that needs to be done and was wondering if there are any special precautions that need to be taken. Dentist has me on some oral antibiotics but has never treated anyone with cidp or anyone that’s on the insanely high pred. doseage I’m on (400mg bi-weekly) and is going to do a consult with my neuro. beforehand but I was curious if anyone has any pointers that I can pass along. Thanks for any insite. 😎

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2008 at 10:58 am

leave a message for your neuro about this all. Do more than ASK!
      Since I’ve not been on pred. I’ve no experience there, but the whole immune compromised aspect can make things need a more cautious approach.
      I’m on IVIG and the TIMING of the infusions and the surgery were key to getting the most ‘punch’ from the IG and also to keep infections from settling in. I worked to have the dental surgeon and the neuro communicate together. Luckily the surgeon had had experience w/MS folks and I was his first CIDP patient and he was very cautious and careful. In my case it was a whole root extraction for a molar that couldn’t be saved.
      Since your dentist has no experience in this quarter? I’d think appealing to the neuro should help things go smoothly. I sure hope so!
      I didn’t have to take any anti-b’s before or after the surgery as I was on the IVIG…and many anti-b’s really don’t help us when on either pred or IG infusions. You have every right to be cautious about this…Ask questions and I hope someone w/more experience can add to my comments.
      Good Luck!

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2008 at 1:59 pm

I think it is a very good idea to have the dentist and neuro consult before doing [U][I][B]anything. [/B][/I][/U]I know antibiotics are the usual line of defense but they may not be right for you cosidering your regimen of treatment. Let us know what they come up with and good luck.
      Linda

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I was told to avoid getting any silver (amalgam) fillings, as my body’s got enough to deal with already, without adding heavy metals to the mix. If I have to get any, my dentist makes sure they’re composite.

I also would get an implant (in my jaw) because I need it for a restoration, but we’ve decided against it because with all the autoimmune issues we figure the implant (which is expensive) may well not “take.”

Also, I didn’t notice anyone mention this elsewhere, excuse me if I missed it–
      I get IVIg three times per month. It helps with my CIDP, but I now need a ton of dental work, whereas I’ve always had really good teeth and gums. There was something in the newsletter a while back about it I think– other people complaining of the same side effect. Supposedly it effects my chemistry (as does the CIDP, of course), and therefore my mouth. (It’s never one thing but always several, right?!)

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 7:26 pm

I also have had to have a lot of dental work done after my first two years of CIDP. I had just gone off of my two years of weekly 1,000 mg solumedrol infusions when I got my first abcess tooth. It had to be pulled, but I don’t remember having any issues with it, although my dentist did give me an antibiotic first. I then had another abcess tooth right after that one & had to have that pulled as well. Since then I had to have a 3 tooth partial made up to replace the molar that was pulled. I think a lot of my problems stemmed from the fact my hands were virtually useless the first two years after I came down with CIDP, so needless to say, my teeth were neglected. Not sure if it really had anything to do with the CIDP itself.
      Pam
      BTW I have had dental issues my entire life, have spent a small fortune on my teeth to keep them, not sure if it has all been worth it…

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 8:34 pm

“K” do a search (next to quick links above) on dental procedures. You’ll get lots of info there on anesthetics as well as procedures. There is most definitely some issues that you and your dentist need to be aware of. Good luck.

• Anonymous
      April 6, 2008 at 11:51 pm

Thank you for the suggestions and I’m sorry I didnt get back sooner. I fired the first dentist after I found out from my neuro. that she had called him and suggested that I stop taking the steroids cold turkey for ” a couple weeks” while she fixes things and gives it time to heal and then restart once again. I certainly understand that she has not treated someone with cidp before and is nervous about creating problems but cannot understand anyone with any kind of medical backround even thinking about stopping the ‘roids cold turkey like that….especially with the extra large dosage that I’m on…… oh well…..will see a new dentist this week that is supposed to really be on the ball about stuff like this.

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Hi,
      First off, I do believe you should ask your neurologist what he/she thinks about needing dental work. And DO TELL DENTIST WHAT MEDICATIONS/TREATMENTS YOU ARE ON.
      Now, I had dental work done when I was on heavy doses of pred. and on IVIG’s. I was going through progressive stages of CIDP. I needed extractions, root canal, fillings, etc. and I suffered no side effects from the dental work. Some of us may have side effects, some may not, I don’t know.

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2008 at 7:15 am

accept no lidocaine. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Hi Gene,
      re accept no lignocaine, so are you saying have it all done without any local anaesthetic??? Och…. am happy to have babies without drugs but fillings and extractions??!!!!!!!!!!

am about to do a dental search here but am wondering what effect being on biphosphanates (Etidrate) has????? Any experience anyone!!!??
      cheers

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2008 at 7:35 pm

I want to say that he used septocaine this afternoon and so far there have been no problems…..will have to wait and see as the evening progresses.

• Anonymous
      April 18, 2008 at 5:48 pm

kiwi,

there are many other numbness drugs your dentist can use other than lidocaine. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 11:24 am

What problems does lidocaine intail? They have given me lidocaine (I think), everytime I have gotten an IV.. So you are saying it could pose problems if I have a filling put in? Thankjs for info…deanop

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 1:45 pm

deanop,

it is the possibility of gbs. who would want to take the chance when is is not necessary. i have the the technical info behind this, but am too sick to look for it. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2008 at 7:19 am

Hi there Gene,
      sorry to hear you not on top of the world at mo!!!!!!! hope you having more good days than bad though.
      if you up to it and no worries if your not but re the lignocaine etc
      arent other agents that are spoken aoubt ie mivocaine and what someone else metnioned ?septocaine etc all different combination local anaesthetics!!!! yet they all have a lignocaine dirivative base!!!!! just wondering. cheers again and hope you sorting things out
      kia kaha

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 1:03 pm

I had a dental surgery two years ago, and I still have the numbness tingling of the lidocaine in my mouth and teeth.
      By then I was diagnosed fibro, and I told the dentist about it. He did not know what to do. Right now I need to go for the left side to be worked on, and I do not know what to do….half a numb face is enough..