Dental Problems

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2011 at 2:37 am

Since our disorder is polyneuropathy, has anyone encountered inflamation of the gum line radiating to the neck and shoulder muscle. Have to find a dentist that knows what’s going on, if there is anything he can do. Some days I just about hurt everywhere. I know I’m not alone. Thanks for any insight and all the best.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Hi Gabriel100,

I have GBS, however, I haven’t encountered any dental issues as a result of polyneuropathy. CIDP is a bit different though, so I guess it’s possible. You may want to search the site using the word “dental or dentist” to see if anyone else had similar issues.

Have you advised your PCP or neurologist that you’re experiencing a considerable amount of pain and have they prescribed medication?

Hope you feel better!

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I haven’t come across any info about CIDP affecting the gums. Is it possible you have a gum infection? Have you been to your dentist?

Kelly

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I had some inflammation of my cranial nerve on the right side, due to CIDP, leading to inflammation of the bone, gum and roof of my mouth. As a result I’ve had to have three teeth pulled on that side – there isn’t enough bone left for implants so I’m sort of out of luck on that side. My dentist says the constant inflammation can cause bone loss and gum problems… 🙁

• Anonymous
      November 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]Gabriel,

I know what you are talking about. While I was still symptomatic, prior to SCT, I had pain whenever I brushed my teeth, gums and tongue. And that was unusual for me as I have had somewhat excessive teeth/mouth brushing habits and was continually disturbed at the discomfort in maintaining that level of cleanliness.

I felt sure that the nerves in that area were effected by CIDP and that was why it was uncomfortable for me to clean as I had in the past. Additionally, I lost most of my sense of taste…

On a positive note– all is back to normal now ))

Hope that helped.
      A.[/FONT]

• June 15, 2015 at 6:27 pm

GBS survivor here….ALL of my teeth are falling out. My dentist said it was due to being hospitalized for 2 years and my mouth not creating saliva which keep my mouth incredibly dry coupled with the plethora of meds I was on.

• November 8, 2017 at 3:12 pm

I know this is an old post, but I have pain and have lost teeth as well. Cranial nerve involvement as well. It inflames the nerves of the root of the tooth and then they die. Doing better now with treatment. Also, very limited supply of saliva, so I use Biotene products. Botox in my cranial nerves and jaw has helped tremendously.

• May 15, 2018 at 11:42 am

Where do you go and what kind of doctor to get to perscribe botox?