Cramping in throat?

    • Anonymous
      January 5, 2007 at 9:26 pm

      Mason has been sick with upper respitory infection and ear infection. He is having an IVIG treatment right now. The cramping in arms and hands started back, this week. This morning he woke up asking me to rub his throat. I asked him was his throat hurting again? He said it was cramping. I asked the Dr tonight, he made out like it was nothing.
      This has never happened before. His symptoms have always gone down, not up. Has anyone had this symptom? Should I worry?

    • Anonymous
      January 5, 2007 at 9:57 pm


      Yes, I’ve had cramping happen in my throat too. It will occasionally happen when I yawn and feels just like a cramp anywhere else in the body.

      I never had it happen prior to GBS, and it started about 6 months after I started to recover. I assume it is just another crazy residual from the disease. Fortunately, it goes away fairly quickly and isn’t very painful – more anoying.

      Hope Mason’s are not too bad. Try not to worry too much about this one.

      Best wishes,


    • Anonymous
      January 5, 2007 at 11:00 pm

      Ben has had similar symptoms as well in the past two months. His started out with cramping and muscles spasms in his left hamstring and then went to both hamstrings, the arches of his feet, both sides of his back and the left and right jawlines of his neck. A couple of weeks later he ended up back in the hospital with a respiratory illness that made his nerves uncontrollably jumpy. He’s on Quinine now for the nerve issues.

      I hope Mason starts feeling better soon!



    • Anonymous
      January 6, 2007 at 12:35 am

      I never had “cramping” but sometimes it feels like a lump in my throat that I can’t swollow around and I cough alot to try to “rid” it. There sure are alot of weird things with GBS/CIDP!

    • Anonymous
      January 6, 2007 at 1:03 am


      I feel alot better. I did not remember anyone talking about cramping in the throat before. When Mason told me his throat was cramping, my mind went into over drive. It was storming real bad at 4am this morning, this was the same time he woke up with the cramping. I just new I was going to have go to Mobile in the storm.(an 1 1/2 drive)

      I waited until 11am to leave to go to Mobile. I was so tired on the way to Mobile this morning. I stopped at a gas station and slept for 30min. It was do this or have a wreck.

      I have another question.

      His DR upped his grams from 18g over ten hrs to 20 hrs- know 32g over 6hrs

      The Dr did this last month and Mason did not do well. I had the nurse call the Dr back alittle while ago and ask could we slow it down since we were going to be here all night. He changed it to 10hrs? I am curious how this will go.

    • Anonymous
      January 6, 2007 at 6:57 pm


      Don’t know about others here, but I have lots of funny residuals that are minor, but annoying. I don’t mention them unless someone like you is concerned about it happening to them or a loved one. Then I’ll tell about mine to reassure others that it’s “normal”.

      Hope you can get some rest when you get back home, and hope Mason’s infusion went ok.


    • Anonymous
      January 6, 2007 at 9:10 pm


      That does seem like a very fast rate for a little guy. I get 60 grams over about 8 hours and I weigh 220 pounds. However we always ramp up the rate very slowly and if needed the infusion goes as long as is needed. I hope the nurse ramps Mason up very slowly and if issues occur leaves the rate where it needs to be.


    • Anonymous
      January 6, 2007 at 10:45 pm

      Oh I have thought about making a thread about the funny residuals I have had over the last 14 months. Decided it would fill a book not just a single post! It is scarey not knowing if something is “normal” or not. I pay closer attention to my body more than than ever! I also never really mention all the things I notice and most of the time I already have read some ones post.

      I have notice that my scar itches and is not over healing and thick. But I can fill it pull on the outside and it is raised like a bridge across the caved in part behind it….making it stand out more. Also that pulling on the inside does make me cough too and at times it feels like my throat has twisted or colasped….making me panic for a few seconds as I clear my thoat with a cough. Some times it makes me choke and then panic sets in. I have never had what I would call cramping but thinks for the power of suggestion! LOL I am just wondering what the scar looks like on the inside! Hot (well warm) beverages still make it tighten up But it is my badge of honor for putting up with that trache for that many weeks!

      Give it time to heal and if after that peroid of time and no results I would ask the Doctor for suggestions. I have several friends that are speech therapists and they talk to me about swallowing and funny feelings too. Some they did not expect me to have with the GBS. Now they have learned something new too!

    • Anonymous
      January 7, 2007 at 12:42 pm

      I think a separate thread on “funny residuals” would be a great idea, Kit. It would definitely help caregivers like Trish and me so we didn’t freak out everytime something new happened to our boys–mine being a 39-year-old man. For instance, Ben mentioned to me last night that he’s been going “number one” more frequently the last few days, and his hair has been falling out in his hand every time he showers. He’s had GBS for two years, and I’m learning that I don’t always have to go into panic mode with different things happen, but sometimes that’s easier said than done.

    • Anonymous
      January 7, 2007 at 6:38 pm

      Mason has never had a trache. The only cramping he had this high up was in his back. I am hoping it is from him coughing so much with the pnomonia.

      I agree the not knowing is crazy. I believe it would be great to compare symptoms. We know more common sympoms than the doctors anyway. I used to get mad when I would tell one of the nurses that he was hurting from the CIDP, and she would say “No he is just spoiled.” Now I just smile. I have learned to take Masons own Meds to the hospital.

      The Nurses start the IVIG and wait 15 min x 4 times to speed it up. Is this to fast for him? He got really sick four hrs into the IVIG. The DR had to give him steroids in IV the next morning. One hour into the IV steriod, he came to life. It is so weird.