Correlation of onset of symptoms and time of year?

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2008 at 8:53 pm

I have been reading many posts and my experience has been that it seems most gbs symptoms onset is in the fall? I am curious if this may be relevant or perhaps I am sniffing to much glue? Kidding! Please give any input about the time of year your gbs started.
      Dave

• Anonymous
      April 9, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Hi Dave,

We have done a survey on this topic and there is no set time of year for the onset of GBS/CIDP. You also have to take into account the thousands of people who developed GBS/CIDP and don’t belong to the Foundation, so it’s really hard to get a real grasp if it’s onset is in the Fall. So many developed GBS/CIDP in the winter months after receiving the flu vaccine. Then we have the various other times of the year when so many develope GBS/CIDP.

There just isn’t a set pattern to say why GBS/CIDP strikes at any given time of the year.:)

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 2:10 am

November 3, 2003 for me Dave. I recall at one point wondering the same thing. My theory at the time was maybe it was because Fall was the start of the flu season. I am interested to hear what others have to say.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 7:57 am

Good morning.
      Mine was late Nov after the Flu shot. I have noticed a rise in the fall months as mention. My feelings are it is the ones that got it from the flu shot.I ask as many as I can to pass on to others not to take the flu shot. Also the shot doesn’t help you if you get a cold and it only protects you from last yrs flu shot.Have a blessed day (Steve)

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 9:35 am

My onset was the end of June. I think I may have had the campylobacter one as when I had the plasmapharesis my plasma was a blackish green (really gross looking) and continued to be that color for 3-4 exchanges. I had all the symptoms of campylobacter prior to becoming paralyzed. Has anyone else out there had the same thing with the color of their plasma?

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 11:37 am

Late October for me. I remember an earlier thread asking the same question. My sister was diagnosed with MS 40 years ago. She was only 12 at the time. Every fall we could count on her having a major set back. Never had flu shots. Since GBS and MS show some commenalities, I too question the time of year for flair ups.

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Hi Dave,
      It was mid October, 3 days after open heart surgery I became paralyzied.
      I had a cold a cough before surgery and looking back, I also had symptons of GBS but did not realize it at the time.

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 4:14 pm

10 days after flu and tetanus shot october 15th 2007 gbs…deanop

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Dave I have tought the same thing and I had read one place that it was more common in the North Eastern United States where there was a colder climate. After coming here I see that is non sense and nothing to back it up. I know many people all around the world and north and south. Many live in tropic areas. I just happened to get mine in November and I live in the North East. But don’t feel you are venting or being a pain. Questions and ideas are how things are discussed and even cured! This is a great meeting room where we can toss around ideas that may some day lead to the true picture of this illness. Best of Luck to you and also a big hug to your caregivers. We can not tell you how much respect we have all developed for all of our caregivers. Being here you just have added to your family!

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 8:08 pm

[COLOR=magenta]Hello All,[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=magenta][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=magenta]It was mid July for me. [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 8:39 pm

It was August, 2006 for me — had a good recovery and then relapsed Labor Day weekend, 2007. Seems like late summer/early fall is worst for me.

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 9:32 pm

it was 13 of november 2006.. how can we forget that day we was onset of GBS, it was so strange to feel the lims and body go into rest and not be able to move.. and my paralysed happen on the toilet on the hospital, I could not stand up from it 😀 😀

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 10:02 pm

It was May 5, 2005 for me, 10 days after a colonoscopy

Peggy

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Dave,
      I applaud you for looking for a pattern. I had it in the Spring ’86 and then Oct. 2006. My hypothesis is that it hits you when you are at your weakest. Some get it after an infection, some after getting an immunization, someone got it after being sprayed with pesticides, some even think quitting smoking may have influenced it. I think it occurs when you shock your system. Mine was incredible stress over a long time. Keep up the good detective work!

• Anonymous
      April 11, 2008 at 8:53 am

My onset was May. I agree with Carolyn that its whenever your body is at a low point.

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2008 at 10:16 am

Hi everyone,
      Thanks for the input. I realize that their is greater risk of exposure to a virus in the fall. Logically that makes sense because that is what triggers gbs and some of you made valid points regarding the correlation of flu shots as well. That all makes sense. Gbs is such an enigma! Carolyn, thanks for the compliment. Take care everyone.
      Dave

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2008 at 12:41 pm

My onset is inmmarch08, I notice as temps change my muscles react different the warmer the better over all.:cool: