Copper and Zinc

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 2:39 pm

Hi all,
      My last visit with my neuro, he told me he has been reading some papers published by a docotr, (I missed him name) from the Mayo Clinic, having to do with Copper and Zinc levels, and their effects on neuropathies. He told me he was very interested in this study.
      So, he ordered blood/serum levels for copper and zinc and all his GBS/CIDP patients, as well as his other patients with rare diseases having to do with neuropathies, (i.e. Myasthenia Gravis {spelling?}, etc.).
      When my bloodwork return, it showed my copper at 43, (norms are 70 to 140), and zinc at 53, ( norms are 60 to 120), so both are low.
      Apparently, he has now turned my results over to this doctor who wrote up the paper, as well as one other patient of my doctor. Apparently, I fit into what this research is going on…
      Then my doctor ordered a 24 hour urine test, again for copper and zinc.
      Results just came back 2 days ago, with creatinine, urine at 6250, (norms are 1000-2500), copper, urine ar 104, (norms are 3-50), and zinc, urine at 3120, (norms are 130-1200), so all results were very high.
      —–
      DOES ANYONE KNOW OF THIS PAPER THAT WAS WRITTEN UP BY THIS DOCTOR AT THE MAYO CLINIC? (So I can read it and find out what the whole gist of it is about?)
      I have been told by my neuro.’s office, that now I will be followed as repeat tests are ordered, to watch how the evels go. I don’t know yet what the strategies will be, since my actual appointment with my neuro isn’t until 14FEB.
      If anybody knows anything of these Copper/Zinc levels with CIDP, I would appreciate if somebody could just give me a shout via this thread.
      Thanx,
      Kedaso

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 2:17 am

I was wandering if he ran bloodwork on all his GBS/CIDP patients, did they all have similar results to yours?

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 2:21 pm

Of course I wouldn’t know the answer to that, but I do know that it is myself plus one other patient of his that we are now being “studied” with that doctor at the Mayo Clinic. So, I guess one other patient had whacked out blood work.

I tried doing a search on the net, but could not find anything. Does anyone know what study was done there, in relation to Copper & Zinc with neuropathies?
      Kedaso

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 5:28 pm

What’s the neuro’s name? That would help alot 🙂
      Also your doc read the paper right? Did you ask him for the source or a copy of it? Call the neuro’s office at Mayo and find out the title and where it was published.

The doc’s name should be enough to find it in one of the online services.