continue strengthen after nerve recovery

• March 31, 2017 at 8:03 pm

Hi,
      Today I had a follow-up with my neurologist and she mentioned to me something like ‘you will be as good as you can get in one year’. Does she mean specifically about nerve recovery? She also did my EMG and it’s normal.
      Can you continue to strengthen your muscle (in my case calf muscle) after one year?
      Thanks!

• GH
      March 31, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Recovery typically takes one to three years to reach maximun. Myelin damage heals relatively quickly and axonal damage takes longer. The rate of recovery slows over time. Axonal damage may never be completely healed, leaving you with some disability.

In my case, I definitely continued healing over a two-year or more span. I think I gave up my cane after about a year and a half out of hospital.

• April 4, 2017 at 2:50 pm

On thing that’s helped my nerve recovery is vitamin B-12. Just came through my 2nd rodeo with GBS. Been post hospital now for almost 9 months. Keep working on your muscles. Take your time. GBS is also about Getting Better Slowly. I know it can be pain. Wish you all well

• GH
      March 31, 2017 at 11:28 pm

The one year (or more) refers to nerve healing. Exercize will not promote nerve healing but it will strengthen muscles when the nerves have done all the repair that can be done.