Constipation

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2011 at 3:34 am

I would like to know if anyone is experiencing constipation from their CIPD or therapy. I suspect that my plasma transfers in removing so many good antibodies as well as bad ones may be causing me constipation. Motility problems started soon after I started treatment. That’s my theory. It may have started sooner and be the result of the CIDP, after all the stomch and colon use muscles to function also. In this condition one always has to expect the unexpected. Thanks

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Emily has had problems with constipation on & off over the last 5 years. Her dr suggested we try Miralax. You can buy it over the counter & it really seemed to help. Some stores now carry a store brand version as well now.

We also added more fiber to her diet.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Yes,it can be a problem, but I have found an alternative solution. Here in Australia ordinary linseed can be purchased from health food shops very cheaply. I have found that a dessertspoon daily (morning) helps . No uncomfortable pain either. Good luck!

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2011 at 11:16 am

[QUOTE=Gabriel100]I would like to know if anyone is experiencing constipation from their CIPD or therapy. I suspect that my plasma transfers in removing so many good antibodies as well as bad ones may be causing me constipation. Motility problems started soon after I started treatment. That’s my theory. It may have started sooner and be the result of the CIDP, after all the stomch and colon use muscles to function also. In this condition one always has to expect the unexpected. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have been severely constipated for 2 months now. Immobility, dehydration, treatment, pain killers … they all make you constipated. I spent most of August in the hospital and they gave me Colase (3x a day), Miralax every morning along with a Dulcalax suppository and I went three times (hardly anything) while I was in there. I continue the Colase and Dulcalax at home but as horrible as it sounds, I usually have to help myself because it’s nothing but clay. Have you discussed the constipation with your doctor?

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2011 at 9:01 am

In my case the constipation comes from the drugs I take. Many of the treatments cause these problems.

CIDP is primarily a peripheral neuropathy. It affects the limbs, not the autonomic nervous system. CIDP would not CAUSE the problem, but its treatments could.

• September 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Annette, It is good to hear from someone else from Australia – we seem to be few and far between. I am trying to contact someone from Nambour which is more in my area but haven’t had much luck yet. Are there any contact groups in your area?

Regards Tim McClure
      [email]mceagle@gotalk.net.au[/email]