Coming off self medicated steroids after 6 years!

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2010 at 3:43 am

Hi, I may need some help here if you have the time.

I’ve had asthma my whole life, was using inhalers reguarly when I was younger, had a few attacks here and there growing up. But when I was about 12 or 13 the genius doctors said I’m only taking the inhalers once a day now, I might as well come off of them. By the time I was 16 or so I was a very ill boy. For the next 8 years or so I was worse than a lot of people could imagine. I suffered from asthma, eczema (not just normal cases of bits here and there, seriously bad itchy eczema where I would scratch for hours and end up with whole in my arms and fingers), conjunctivitis so bad I missed the last year of my A-Levels. I worked in bars, clubs and restaraunts for many years and obviously the smoke, lifestyle and atmospohere didn’t help one bit, I didn’t particularly take good care of myself, didn’t eat well, but was quite fit and played basketball professionally (for about a year) for my county etc.

I have tried EVERYTHING. I’ve banged my head against the wall for years obviously, I also tried food allergy tests, regular blood tests, homeopathy (scum – made me worse and then actually said to me “I’ve made you so bad I can’t treat you”) chinese medicine, cutting out dairy & E numbers for over a year (helped but not a great deal).

Then, when I was 23, I had a really bad asthma attack and was pretty much dead for about 5 minutes. I was kept in hospital for a few days and they obviously pumped me full of steroids and other things, It cleared up EVERYTHING and I was looking and feeling brilliant for the first time in a long time. I put on weight after an entire life of being extremely skinny. I then tole the doctors that the hospital recommeded that I take them for a bit after the attack, the doctors agreed and I used prednisolone (the nice pink ones) for about a year or so on and off just taking 5 (x5mg) then 4 then 3 then 3 then 1 and then not needing any for a week or two. After about a year the doctors finally noticed and said they would not provide them for me anymore, I said that’s fine but can you please take me off them when I am well and not when I am suffering withdrawals, missing work and generally just in a state. They said no, very helpful, cheers for that and I suffered for a few months before discovering I could by prednisone in high quantities for very cheap.

Now, you have to realise, if you weigh up all the stress of being ill 24/7 and having NO life at all vs taking something that WORKS but has long term side effects and the only short term side effect of weight gain which I needed….what do I do? I tell you what I did, I took them and have had the best 5 years of my life. I’m a stand up comedian, have a gorgeous girlfriend, lived in New York travelled and generally just enjoyed life. I look after myself much more now, could still improve but I go to the gym, eat well (better) and have a good quality of life.

However, I know this is not a solution. I looked into alternative anti-inflamatories recently and have tried Bromelain, Magnesium and Turmurac. Only been taking them for 7 days do far. Thing Is i tried to come off of them cold turkey and hadn’t taken any for about 10 days, during that time I didn;t drink at all (alcohol) went to the gym everyday, but obviously the skin on my neck returned to sand paper smoothness, I started getting head aches (never get them ever) and my joints were a bit achy. I’ve had problems with my kness in the past with too much running but they’ve been better lately as i’ve strenthened them up.

If you’re still with me, here’s my question!!

How do I taper of of these? I’ve had no actual dosage just taken them when I needed them, one here one there but usually 5 then 4 then 3 etc etc.

I have taken 5 (x5mg) day before yesterday and then 4 yesterday because of the research telling me NOT to suddenly come off of them, what I want to know is where should I go from here, if my old life is going to creep back on my I’m not sure I can handle it. At the moment I’m organised, together, early for work, never sick, good with money. The old me was late, went bankrupt, in trouble at work, unorganised and unhappy.

What’s a guy to do, really?

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2010 at 10:20 am

The best advice I can give you is to seek out a dr to help you wean. Steroids should NOT be stopped abruptly but a very slow weaning process needs to take place. My daughter was on them for 2 months (max dose was 17.5 mgs a day) and the weaning process took 2 months.

Steroids take over for your adrenal glands. Abruptly stopping steroids can cause an adrenal crisis with symptoms like pain, diarrhea & vomiting, hypoglycemia & even psychosis.

So please, find a dr asap & get his/her advice. You have been on them too long to try to do this yourself.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2010 at 10:30 am

Hi Kelly, thanks for the reply. I planned to do this, problem is I’m not confident in my current doctors surgery and not sure I can tolerate their lack of understanding as to why I chose to do this in the first place.

I’ve been considering changing doctors recently but not sure how easy that is to do, or how much good that will do?

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Kelly gives the best advice that can be given about this issue. I am a retired nurse and have lots of experience with patients on steroids. You need to fess up to the doctor (even though you will likely be given a rough time), and have him/her monitor you while coming off very slowly. Better to face the wrath of the doctor than run into major problems. Good luck.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2010 at 3:07 pm

You really should withdrawn from steroids with the help from a doctor and it would help to find one you have confidence in. I cannot support doing it on your own. I have CIDP and was on prednisone for five years. It does have to be done VERY VERY VERY slowly. It took me one failed attempt and then weaning down slowly for a YEAR before I was safely off.

• Anonymous
      July 9, 2010 at 10:09 pm

You’re getting some good advice here. And be sure to re-read that little pamphlet that comes with the medication. It reminds you about the risks of withdrawal, and what could happen.

I’ve been on corticosteroids for asthma since 1993. Pulmicort, Rhinocort, Bricanyl. When I lived in the city, I had infections in my airways most of the time, and had to take 2 doses of Pulmicort 4 times a day, plus Rhinocort 2 x daily, plus Bricanyl to control the asthma attacks. This was maximum, and I didn’t want to go on Prednisone because of the health risks, so finally, I moved out of the city, and in the first couple of years, the doc tapered me off my asthma meds gradually (Pulmicort: to 2 x 2 times a day, after that 1 x 2 times a day). The asthma is just barely under control, due to so many environmental toxins in the town here, smoky campground a few blocks away, people spraying lawns and trees all the time.
      I have to really watch out for any of these things, or I have bad asthma attacks followed by lung infections. Same goes for the allergens in my home, products I use, foods I eat.

Don’t try to stop by yourself, because Pred is a powerful drug, and it’s known to be very dangerous to take chances with the dosage. In dealing with a doc, it might be helpful to outline on paper the whole course of your self-treatment, and how it controlled your asthma. In my opinion, the doc should give you some understanding and help you to taper off under supervision. Being chronically ill and taking meds is different from taking drugs as a psychological and physical dependent. I understand some of what you’re dealing with, and wish you the best. Come back again, and let us know how it’s going.

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2010 at 5:34 am

I think I understand from your comments that you have not been taking steroids for many consecutive days at a time, but rather “pulsing” yourself with steroids–in which you have had the steroids over 5-7 days every week or two. You also do not mention a known chronic immune mediated disease (like CIDP which is common here). Pulse steroids are different from daily long term steroids in the “dependence” mechanism. You are not as much at risk of the classic adrenal suppression where the adrenal does not work, but ARE at risk of your body not being used to or able to mount stress responses (because it does not have to–the oral steroids do that). You realize that self-medicating is not wise, however, the underlying process –terrible asthma and terrible eczema–were intolerable to you. To get a smart and safe transition off of steroids, you need to have help of a physician that will see both of these. There are a lot of ways to treat asthma and eczema OTHER than systemic steroids. Think carefully about what causes you to feel the need to pulse steroids. Is it breathing problems or terrible itching? If so, to safely stop, you probably will need inhaled steroids or something like Advair for the asthma and topical steroids for the skin. The point is that there can be a medical reason that your body has felt better on steroids and that this needs to be addressed as part of finding a better and safer way to control the asthma and eczema.

Part two. People feel better with steroids and you say this in your post. You may have very real medical reasons for steroids that your body was telling you, but there is very often something addictive about steroids AS WELL and it is really hard to separate these apart completely. One important way to help get over this can be NOT to stop steroids cold turkey (that is hard medically and mentally), but rather to spread them out so there is not the ups and downs. You, then, get the medical benefit, but not the “rush” of a pulse. For example, if you take 25 then 20 then 15 then 10 then 5 mg a day for five days every two weeks, you get close to the same amount of steroids by taking 10 mg every other day. It is probably better to stop to either change to this and then slowly go down to, for example, 7.5 mg every other day for two weeks, then 5 mg every other day for two week, then even slower from there OR to reduce the “height” of the pulses–for example, starting at 20 then 15 then 10 then 5 mg for two times, then 15 then 10 then 5 and slowly decreasing from there. The point is that your body and mind have gotten used to the pulse steroids and it will be very hard and not very safe to stop them abruptly.

None of us advocate “self medicating”, but when people do this, it is important to think not only about fussing about the danger of that, but also that there may be a very real underlying desperation to have something be different and better. It will not be safe and it will be really hard to stop steroids without helping what this was as well. I hope that this makes sense and I hope that you get a good plan to safely get off the steroids.
      WithHope

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2010 at 7:58 am

First of all let me say thank you to everybody that has taken the time to respond to me, you are all saying pretty much the same thing and I will definitely take your advice onboard and seek out medical help.

I really appreciate it thank you

[QUOTE=WithHope]I think I understand from your comments that you have not been taking steroids for many consecutive days at a time, but rather “pulsing” yourself with steroids–in which you have had the steroids over 5-7 days every week or two. You also do not mention a known chronic immune mediated disease (like CIDP which is common here). Pulse steroids are different from daily long term steroids in the “dependence” mechanism. You are not as much at risk of the classic adrenal suppression where the adrenal does not work, but ARE at risk of your body not being used to or able to mount stress responses (because it does not have to–the oral steroids do that). You realize that self-medicating is not wise, however, the underlying process –terrible asthma and terrible eczema–were intolerable to you. To get a smart and safe transition off of steroids, you need to have help of a physician that will see both of these. There are a lot of ways to treat asthma and eczema OTHER than systemic steroids. Think carefully about what causes you to feel the need to pulse steroids. Is it breathing problems or terrible itching? If so, to safely stop, you probably will need inhaled steroids or something like Advair for the asthma and topical steroids for the skin. The point is that there can be a medical reason that your body has felt better on steroids and that this needs to be addressed as part of finding a better and safer way to control the asthma and eczema. [/QUOTE]

Spot on. What hadn’t even occured to me untill now, is that when I explained all this to the doctors about 4-5 years ago when they cut me off of them, they didn’t listen to me and taper me off of them, they just stopped providing me with them and left me to it. Perfect illustration as to how little they listen and how little they help.

[QUOTE]
      Part two. People feel better with steroids and you say this in your post. You may have very real medical reasons for steroids that your body was telling you, but there is very often something addictive about steroids AS WELL and it is really hard to separate these apart completely. One important way to help get over this can be NOT to stop steroids cold turkey (that is hard medically and mentally), but rather to spread them out so there is not the ups and downs. You, then, get the medical benefit, but not the “rush” of a pulse. For example, if you take 25 then 20 then 15 then 10 then 5 mg a day for five days every two weeks, you get close to the same amount of steroids by taking 10 mg every other day. It is probably better to stop to either change to this and then slowly go down to, for example, 7.5 mg every other day for two weeks, then 5 mg every other day for two week, then even slower from there OR to reduce the “height” of the pulses–for example, starting at 20 then 15 then 10 then 5 mg for two times, then 15 then 10 then 5 and slowly decreasing from there. The point is that your body and mind have gotten used to the pulse steroids and it will be very hard and not very safe to stop them abruptly.[/QUOTE]

This is really helpfull, thank you. I think everything you have said it is pretty accurate and I will definitely give this lower dose/ regular pattern adjustment a change while I wait to see a Doctor about this. I think I need to change Doctors.

[QUOTE]
      None of us advocate “self medicating”, but when people do this, it is important to think not only about fussing about the danger of that, but also that there may be a very real underlying desperation to have something be different and better. It will not be safe and it will be really hard to stop steroids without helping what this was as well. I hope that this makes sense and I hope that you get a good plan to safely get off the steroids.
      WithHope[/QUOTE]

I hope everybody here realises that I don’t think self medicating is particularly clever or advisable, you have to realise it was a last resort after nearly 10 years of having no life. If you get given a cure and then a taste of the good life and then have it taken away from you, it can make people do some very stupid things. I realise I am an example of this.

Thank you everybody for your help.

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2010 at 8:55 am

My suggestion would be to call several pharmacists. When I tred to get off of my blood pressure medicine that I needed during the GBS, one pharmacist said that NO ONE ever gets off of them!! She looked at me like I had two heads! So I called several other pharmacists out of state and was told how to do it. Suppose I had listened to just her?? I would do the same with doctors although it gets more expensive.
      It sounds like your body was out of balance from when you were young and then they put you on medication/inhalers which put you more out of balance.
      You mentioned that you tried practically everything….maybe you went to the wrong wholistic ones.
      I sent you a pivate message…if you look up in the right hand corner… with some suggestions.You are on the right Path..just haven’t had the right directions.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Best answer I could give, Kelly did much better. She sounds to be more expertice on this subject. God Bless and good luck.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 11:00 pm

Hi: I have been tapering off prednisone for 6 months now. I drop one milligram a month and am now down to 4. I feel great on the stuff and have an autoimmune disease (recurrent pericarditis) that comes back everytime I go below 3mgs. I finally was sent to a rheumotoligist who put me on what he called steroid friendly meds, medication that helps do the work for the steroids so you can get off of it without symptoms coming back. Everyone has given you good advise-I would only add that the best doctor to work with prednisone is probably a rheumotoligst as they work with this meds frequently for rheumotoid arthritis and such diseases. My regular doc, pain doc and cardiologist really had no clue how to help me get off the prednisone and I went through 6 months of hell before seeing the rheumotologist. I wish you the best in getting off this stuff because the side affects can be pretty dire. Jeff

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2010 at 5:38 am

Thanks to everybody that has given me such great advice, you’re all very kind people.

Just thought I’d let you know that after a lot of procrastinating and sitting around in denial I’ve just got back from the doctors. I made an appointment for today with a new Doctor which I think was a good thing as he had a frsh perception of me and what I was saying.

He listened and understood and actually appreciated where I was coming from which was nice, first time I’ve had that in a long time.

He basically said I need to book a double appointment with him as soon as possible so we can go through a few things and come up with some ideas suggestions I guess.

I feel quite positive. He said he appreciated that I was honest about the fact I’ve been getting the steroids – I explained the choice between a life in my 20’s or being around in my 70’s but being to ill for it to matter!!!

Carolyn I will have a look at your message now. Thanks eveyone.

• Anonymous
      October 27, 2010 at 11:54 pm

After getting down to 5 mg. my body could only handle the withdrawls by 1/4 mg. every 2 weeks. Now I’ve been “free” for 8 years! My doc let me handle it how my body needed it. Goodluck!

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2010 at 6:43 am

Two visits now and it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere, other than to the dermatlogist. Don’t seem very open to discussing diet and other factors. Just drugs and creams that won’t work.

After weening myself off and getting bad in just 5-6 days I’ve just come home and taken a course of steroids. I have a massively important Job Interview on Wednesday and I just can’t tolerate getting so ill my life just crumbles around me.

I’m stuck…