CIDP makimg my "common cold" worse?

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Hi everyone! It’s been a while since I have checked in. I wanted to ask you all a question: does CIDP worsen you symptoms when you are sick? I strarted off feeling as if I was having a relapse because It started with the leg pains. they were awful. I started getting a lot of weekness and pain, by the next day, I could no longer move. I was in the wort paim the I could remember ever having. My fever was102 and I was bedridden. Today is the firsrt day I could get up to bring my laptop to my bed to write this, and venev now,I am astill having to check for my spelling errors whicjh are blstant. I have been up for about 2 hours today and am already exhausted. The last 2 says I have been as exhistant as a houseplant/ I have been in bed, asleep and when I am not asleep. I am in pain. Is there anthing I can do about getting better? Any home remedies anyone would like to share with me? I would love to become an active member of my family again. I need my children and husband, and they need/miss me too.
      Thany yuo all for your advice. and if you would like, share your storeies. I would just like to know if CIDP causes a coomon cold to become a catatrophic illness.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I would say that any flu or cold can cause an exacerbation of CIDP so in general the cold seems much worse–this from watching what happens to hubby when he gets sick. I think you have to cater to yourself more when you have CIDP and an illness i.e. more rest instead of trying to keep going and push through it. No real home remedies other than taking lots of zinc lozenges as they seem to really work for us, lots of fluids, and antihistamines to dry up the mucous. Sorry you’re feeling so crummy.
      Laurel
      Maybe rub your legs with Voltaren emugel as this does help hubby.

• Anonymous
      October 22, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I hope you have called your dr to let them know of your symptoms.

Emily’s CIDP symptoms have increased while she’s sick. My theory is the immune system ramps up to fight the germs thus making more of the bad CIDP causing cells. That’s why the symptoms increase.

I hope you feel better soon. Get some rest!

Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 23, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I would think that it would be the reverse, the cold would make the CIDP feel worse. As the immune system ramps up to fight an infection the immune system may become more sensitized or activated towards CIDP and make symptoms worse.

The big thing would be to ask your Doc, meaning your neuro. Your GP would not know. He or she might express an opinion, but it would not come from a position of knowledge unless they have dealt with other CIDP patients.

But, generally, taking care of yourself and giving yourself the best chance to heal will help you the most. I do believe that it will take longer to get over these little nagging illnesses, so be good to yourself, get rest, relieve as much stress as possible and think positive.