CIDP inherited

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I just came across some information that CIDP can be inherited from a gene. I was just wondering if anyone had any information on this matter.

Thanks

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Hi lindz6,

where did you get this information.–tim–

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2009 at 12:00 am

There are some inherited traits of CIDP in some families. Not everybody that gets CIDP is inherited though. Many different kinds and forms of CIDP. Some can be worse than others. They actually call many inherited forms of CIDP Heriditary Neuropathy. And there are hundreds of genes that cause the problem. Heriditary Neuropathy though is usually treated different than people with the actual CIDP. CIDP has many causes. Sometimes they can’t even find the reasons for it leaving a person in limbo. Others get treated and some get better while others don’t. Just depends on what is causing the problem.
      I hate having the mess! Wished the stem cell research somehow finds a cure for all of us with nerve damage. Would be a wonderful things and I pray each day that we all see that happen.
      Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2009 at 9:03 am

Ken,

I just went to the Canadian Conference this past weekend and there was some dissusions on this topic but it was unclear to me and I also was reading the new CIDP Booklet put out by the foundation and it mentions it in there also. I just wanted to get some more information on this topic, thats why I asked.

Linda,

Thanks for your information.

Lindsay

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2009 at 3:23 pm

[SIZE=”4″]For what its worth, no one in my family has had anything remotely to CIDP or any disease for that matter. Lucky me 😮 🙁 😡 [/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      April 21, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Hmmm….

Looks like I have some Googling to do….

Just did a quick search & came up with this article:

Department of Neurology, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA.

Demyelinating peripheral neuropathies are clinically divided into inherited and acquired types. Inherited demyelinating neuropathies are caused by mutations in genes expressed by myelinating Schwann cells, whereas acquired ones, including chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP), are probably caused by autoimmune mechanisms. We find that heterozygous P0 knockout (P0+/-) mice develop a neuropathy that resembles CIDP. By one year of age, P0+/- mice develop severe, asymmetric slowing of motor nerves, with temporal dispersion or conduction block, which are features of acquired demyelinating neuropathies including CIDP. Moreover, morphological analysis of affected nerves reveals severe and selective demyelination of motor fibers, focal regions of demyelination, and inflammatory cells. These data suggest that immune-mediated mechanisms may contribute to the pathogenesis of the neuropathy in P0+/- mice.

Here is the link:

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9210878[/url]

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2009 at 5:28 am

I strongly suspect that I got this through my mother’s family somehow, but of course I may never know. She had lupus, my sister and aunts have hypothyroidism, a cousin has Crohn’s disease, I myself have psoriasis, all considered to probably be autoimmune in nature. I was also under an extended period of tremendous stress from a variety of unfortunate factors in my life at the time this all began. Then I got what I think was the flu. I wonder if being under so much stress allowed that flu to trigger this in me somehow…..but again, I’ll probably never know.

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2009 at 9:10 am

Autoimmune disease can & do run in families. I read it is mostly passed down from the mother’s side.

In our family, my grandma has diabetes & asthma, I have endometriosis, my cousin has epilepsy & now Emily has CIDP.

I think she was genetically predisposed to get some kind of autoimmune disease & it just happened to end up as CIDP.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I have been wondering of my CIDP happened to be inherited. I mentioned this to my Neuro, but he says no. I think autoimmune diseases do run in families and come out in different diseases. I have a cousin that was diagnosed with MS, I have CIDP, my other cousin has Lupus, and another cousin with possible diabetes. It is awfully strange that autoimmune disorders are coming out in our family through the cousins. I don’t know of my mother or aunts or uncles having autoimmune disorders. Strange how they are coming out now. Somewhere in the past it must have been there, or they were misdiagnosed. Probably misdiagnosed since there is more study of them now.

Clare in Michigan

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2009 at 5:58 pm

This is what I know: there is one theory for how some autoimmune diseases get started which appears to be a popular one with some scientists. It’s called [B][I]molecular mimicry[/I][/B]. I wrote about this before including a graph but I can’t remember where it is. You may be able to find it by doing a search. To explain it as simply as possible, there may be a genetic predisposition to mistake an antigen (a micro organism including vaccinations) for a stretch of myelin. This may trigger an auto immune reaction. How different people react to certain parts of an antigen varies from person to person. There are some antigens who possess a short stretch of amino acids which is identical to a stretch on the myelin.
      If this theory is correct, certain autoimmune diseases may be caused by a coming together of two factors, a genetic predisposition and an encounter with a particular antigen. In other words it is not really hereditary in a usual meaning of the term.
      I believe hepatitis B is one of these vaccinations. My references name another bacteria but I can’t look it up right now. All my books have been packed since we are preparung for moving.

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Wow Norb! Very interesting concept! So where are you moving too? Closer by to be with your daughter. I know you mentioned moving before a while back ago. Hope you move goes well! Liked what you wrote though! Thanks for sharing! Hugs
      Linda H