CIDP / Auto accident

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Hello to all the good people here at gbs-cidp.org
      I have not posted in a while, but I have question that maybe someone can help me with.
      I have been dealing with my condition for some time now, and I have settled into a regular routine of exercise and proper diet to help cope with CIDP and all the surprises that this condition can bring to a person suffering from this disorder. I have been approved for SSDI. After working hard for nearly 30 years, I find the boredom of not working every day very hard to deal with.
      I still am able to drive most days, although I logged less the 3000 miles on my vehicle last year. Mostly short trips to the doctor, or to the bank and post office.
      This is where my question comes in. I had driven less then a mile from my home this past Monday, June 4..to pick up a newspaper and do my banking. On my way home, I was stopped at a redlight when I was hit from behind by a driver not paying attention. She was reading a map !
      The police arrived, and the other driver admitted fault. I visited my primary care physician, who noticed the bruises on my shoulders and neck. Yes..I was wearing a seatbelt. I was sent for a cervical spine x-ray series and I am awaiting the results. After speaking with my insurance agent, he advised me that it would be hard to prove personal injury and pain due to the fact I have a condition that causes me constant pain, numbness and other sympoms.
      Has anyone here faced this dilema ? How do I distinguish new symptoms caused by the accident, from pre-existing pain that I had before ?
      I am not looking for a windfall here, I do not even have a lawyer. I just want to be sure that any injuries I suffered will be covered now and in the future.
      Any input from others here would be greatly appreciated…Thanks,
      Barry

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Hi Barry, Sorry to hear you were in an accident. It is really hard to prove, I had tried to do that from my last accidents also. I had 3 accidents in 3 years in a row. these all occurred before i had cidp, but right after i had gone through Prollo Therapy and dx of Fibrumyalgia(pain). The insurance company did not want to pay my med bills, pain and suffering or anything else other then fixing my car, because of my recent history of health problems-because I couldn’t prove they were seperate. My accident was not my fault, and i was on my way to my dr anyway. i was hit by an escalade crossing a 4 lane road on a red light-his fault. my next one was a rear end collision at a red light-lady thought i was going to go through it even though i was stopped and it was red-her fault. the very first accident was my fault-i rearended a lady making an illegal left turn-my bad:rolleyes: . I could only get my car fixed and a few gs from the escalade and just under 2gs from the other lady, because of the timing of the accidents and my previous health problems. if you are needing additional dr appts because of the accident, make sure your dr only writes accident injuries, specific ones on the reciept and not cidp dx, it will help you if you need to go after the insurance company for money. Good Luck. Take care.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Hello Barry!

I often wonder where you’ve been as your name is forever (well maybe it will change someday) frozen in time, or should I say, on our forums main page, at the bottom, under, [I]currently active users[/I](something like that) 🙂 .

Im am sorry to hear about the accident, its just not something that is pleasant to have to deal with, specially since there are complications associated with it. Unfortunately it is so easy for insrance companies to try and deny any sort of coverage nowadays, and its a pity we have become so jaded and think that they would do anything to try and get out of paying for anything. However, [I]if [/I]you have the energy and inclination, you should try at least request that ‘her’ insurance cover the costs of the doctors visit as well as whatever cervical spine x-ray’s you have had to have, wait for the results, and then take it from there. Surely if there is some kind of damage to the cervical region (with regard to bone and muscle) it has nothing to do with a pre existing condition, since CIDP is peripheral nerves :rolleyes: . Aaaah, its so frustrating because it sounds so logical in a way – but i know it doesnt work like that in the real world.

Have you spoken to either of your insurance companies yet? Let us know what the results were of the x-rays.

All the Best!

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2007 at 11:54 pm

Hi Barry,

You have my sympathy. My wife faced a similar problem. She was hit from the rear by a speeding car. She lost control, crossed the medium and almost hit another car head on.

To make a long story short, since she had a history of arthritis the insurance company claimed all the pain was from a preexisting condition. When you are dealing with “soft tissue” injuries it is hard to prove exactly what is going on.

We had to hire a lawyer. Don’t make the same mistake we made. Make sure the lawyer has actually taken cases like yours to court and won them. There are a lot of them out there that say they have “successfully” won, but many of them only settle out of court. The insurance companies know who are the tigers and who are the pussycats [the ones who are afraid to going to trail]. They will deal with the tigers, but ignore the ones that don’t have any real teeth.

PS We are in a “no fault state”. That might make some difference if you aren’t.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 11:17 am

Hi Barry,

Last month, my daughter was struck from behind at a red light and pushed into oncoming traffic and struck again. Just like you, I was concerned that the insurance company would “discount” her injuries by claiming a previous condition. For that reason, I took her to a different doctor to specifically address her immediate injuries. Fortunately, she will not have permanent disabilities/injuries from this accident. I was afraid that if I took her to her regular gp, she would be seen primarily as a neurological patient, and from that point, it would be impossible to make a clear distinction. Once her injuries were evaluated and documented, I explained her cidp and discussed my reasons for keeping the two conditions seperate. The doctor understood my concerns.

Keep a pain diary. A pattern of new pain, or increased pattern of pain in specific areas would help doctors (and possibly lawyer) to assess the cause. In addition, it may help identify the different types of pain you are having – muscle and/or joint pain as opposed to nerve pain.

Seatbelts save lives, but they cause a lot of spinal injuries. I had neck/shoulder/hip/lower back seatbelt injuries that have caused me difficulties for years now. (I was t-boned at an intersection) If you feel the severity of the accident warrants it, keep in mind that you have 2 years (Texas; check your state) to make a claim. Down the road, your diary will demonstrate the long range effects of your current physicial evaluation. Oth, you may never need it, and that would be a good thing.

best wishes
      cd

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 11:19 am

Thanks to those who answered the post regarding my auto accident.
      I appreciate all the helpful input. I am afraid that the insurance company will try to use my CIDP as an excuse not to pay up, as they have already asked for my medical information to be released. I had a bad fall in March and broke 3 ribs. The pain from that incident has finally just been relieved, but has been aggravated by this accident.
      I plan to argue that the stress and the jolt that I suffered in the crash will make my condition worse.
      The insurance company..(hers)….has agreed to pay all the damages on my vehicle, as well as providing me with a rental car for 30 days.
      I see my Dr. this week for the results of my x-rays.
      Thanks again to those who posted.
      Oh Ali, I did not realize my screen name is on all the time under “users online”.
      I see it there, but figured it was because I was online at the time…pretty funny ! Barry

• June 10, 2007 at 6:20 pm

Forget the insurance company. Of course they don’t want to pay. Find a good plaintiff’s lawyer.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2007 at 8:36 pm

Barry, I just pmed you again. Hopefully its not too late.:)

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 10:20 am

I was involved in a car accident back in 1998; while on a street with no stop signs, a tow truck at a stop sign decided he could beat me across the intersection. I broke my left knee & suffered soft tissue damage to my back. The insurance adjuster wanted me to settle the case ASAP at that time. If one is disabled by the car accident for 90 days or longer (which I was), then he said I would receive money for pain & suffering, otherwise it would be just my car & medical bills to date.

I was ready to sign off right then & there, as I was sure I would be on the tennis court that summer. But for some reason my knee never healed right & it actually took 2 1/2 years before I even tried tennis again. I am glad I waited as I was awarded more, but after the lawyer took his 33% it was actually not much. I came down with CIDP 6 months later & was glad I had settled by then, or they would have blamed my knee problems on that.