CIDP & X-rays

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2008 at 11:56 pm

I have a dental appt this week and was curious if it’s ok to get X-rays if you have CIDP & are tx with IVIg? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you shouldn’t, but now I can’t remembere where I read that.

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 4:01 am

yes, it’s fine – there are no problems with x-rays. the only problems I know of are some people do not respond to the numbing agents (novacaine etc.) I do not have a problem with this but others require different anaesthetics or they do not get numb. There are a couple of threads on this either here or in the Main forum that can give you a better idea of people’s experiences with anaesthetics and dental work. 🙂

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 5:34 am

So far I have done okay with the dentist. Just hate having teeth pulled. It always take me time in healing after a tooth gets pulled. A slow healer! Hugs

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Issues with dental anasthetics? Wow! This is the first I’ve heard of this, but I had a dental implant back in 2004 (four years before CIDP symptoms) where the lidocaine wore off in about 1/3 the time expected. My dentist was really surprised. Wonder if CIDP was behind it.

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2008 at 2:26 pm

I hadn’t heard about the novocaine but had a terrible issue last year with this very thing. He kept injecting it and then trying to drill and finally lost patience with me for telling him it still hurt something terrible. I asked if the CIDP could have something to do with it and he didn’t know.

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I am getting ready for major dental work over the next 6 months. So, I will let everyone know. I have been getting IVIg infusions a year now. In addition to that I’m on neurontin, elavil, and fentanyl patches for the severe neuropathic pain that I have. The fentanyl had a serious side effect which was serious tooth decay. Nearly every tooth in my mouth needs some type of dental work. How amazing this disease can be. And NO one yet that I’ve talked to over the last year has ever heard of CIDP or Peripheral Neuropathy.

David