Canadians-Disability?

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2007 at 12:25 am

Just wondering if there are any Canadians that have applied or gone on disability.

Not sure what to expect or exactly what to do.
      I have Long Term Disability through work but also wondering about the Canada Pension Disability as I have a son that would also get a small pension.

Any ideas of where to get more info?

Thanks
      Rhonda

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2007 at 3:47 am

Check these links.

[url]http://www.pwd-online.ca/pwdhome.jsp?&lang=en&ta=80&fontsize=0[/url]

[url]http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/search/eforms/index.cgi?app=profile&form=isp1151&lang=e[/url]

Sue

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2007 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Sue I’ll check them out

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2007 at 11:21 am

Hi Rhonda and Sue
      I am relatively new to this forum, but have learned a lot already from the knowledgeable members. I am replying because I live in Canada too.
      Briefly, I noticed some numbness in my feet in about August 2006 when I was running. It got a lot worse late last year so I have been having tests at TGH neurology department (under Dr. Vera Bril). They diagnosed it as IgM MGUS and I started treatment with Rituxan, my first infusion last Friday.
      Rituxan is very expensive, so I checked to see if it is covered by the medical plan where I work. No luck. Same with the Ontario Ministry of Health. So I wrote them back in early October to ask why it is not covered, after paying into the system most of my life. So far…no reply.
      I intend to never give up on this. If the drug works, as I fully hope and anticipate it will, then there should be all the more reason to cover it.
      I’ll keep you posted on the progress with bureaucracy.
      Best of luck to you both
      Andrew

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2007 at 12:38 am

Andrew,

Keep fighting don’t give up and if you have to involve the media.

Canada has one of the best health care systems…although sometimes one would never know it!

I was just told on Friday that I won’t be going back to work so I have to start the paperwork trail to start applying for long term benefits!

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      December 22, 2007 at 8:13 am

Hi Rhonda

[QUOTE=Rhonda]I was just told on Friday that I won’t be going back to work so I have to start the paperwork trail to start applying for long term benefits!
      [/QUOTE]

I was wondering how you made out with LTD. Where I work (very large Canadian company), I checked into the disability coverage. The first year is short term disability which, according to my physiatrist, is fairly easy to get once a person is diagnosed as disabled and/or incapable of performing one’s job (I am not sure of the exact definition there). It is apparently paid by the company at 100% of annual salary, plus the benefit coverage continues but it becomes taxable. After the 12 month maximum (depending of length of service) you go onto short term disability which pays 65% of annual salary and is covered by an insurance company. That is good for up to three years for anyone who cannot perform their regular function. Afterwards, the criteria becomes “any job” which could include telemarketing from home, etc.

No doubt the coverage would change from one place to another, but you have to be careful of the definitions…i.e. is it “your regular job” that you cannot do or is it “any job” that you cannot do?

In my case I am in sales and have to travel a lot. My fear is that I will likely have to be diagnosed as no longer able to drive in order to be unable to do my job. Travel by air scares me because of the Rituxan treatment which has a debilitating effect on the immune system for bacterial infections. So I really don’t look forward to coming back home with a bacterial infection or cold, etc. every time I travel on business. Tough decisions!

Anyway, good luck with your coverage.
      Andrew

• Anonymous
      December 22, 2007 at 11:45 am

Andrew,

Thanks for asking about how it is going. I have completed the first set of papers. I am now waiting to see if I am approved or not.

Each employer has different guidelines as to how LTD works. My plan allows for 60% of my wage to be covered and benefits for 1 year. No taxes. After the first year I will be off benefits. (My husband has a benefit plan so not overly concered). You are right about the any job situation after three years. BUT if your doctor says you are not medically able to work LTD has to go with that. They can have their docs look you over. I’ll have to wait and see when that point comes!

Rhonda from Canada:)