Can you have it?

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 7:02 pm

My husband has a lot of the classic symptoms of CIDP but did not show any damage to nerves or muscles on the EMG and NVC (not sure) tests. The Neuro he was going to said it was impossible to have CIDP and not show anything on these tests. Is this correct? I am sure I read somewhere that some people with CIDP don’t show damage on these tests.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 5:20 am

Tassysmum, as with any diagnosis certain boxes must be ticked. A diagnosis has a ‘definition’, the American Association of Neurology defines CIDP as a peripheral neuropathy affecting more than one limb with absent or reduced tendon reflexes and signs of demyelination on electrical studies or nerve biopsy. The protein level in the spinal fluid is usually raised, but not always. without these features you cannot really make a diagnosis of CIDP. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 9:29 am

Hi Tassysmom, I had all the usual tests when I was first diagnosed — emg, lumbar puncture for protein level. EMG suggested cidp but my protein level didn’t. My neuro said it would be cidp if ivig made me better…it did and so my dx of cidp. Hang in there 😀 — after all the boxes are checked, the dr will be able to decide on the best course of treatment. Cathy:)