Bruising at Infusion sites

• December 7, 2017 at 10:09 am

I received my first infusion of Gamunex last week. I received the two day treatment with no side effects during infusion. Just yesterday i noticed that my infusion site on my hand looked slightly bruised, like the difference between a tan and no tan . I had infusion one close to my wrist; infusion two was on top of hand. My hand and wrist exhibit very slight pain when pressed. Is this typical? I searched “bruising” in the forums but the topic was not dealing with infusion site bruising. I am fortunate in that my first treatment results have been great, noticing a difference just after a few days.

• December 7, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Bruising is not uncommon for me but I find it varies from infusion to infusion depending. Depends on where the site is too. My hands seem to tend to bruise more but number of sticks, did the vein blow or roll, how well hydrated was I etc leaves the amount of bruising unpredictable. It might be barely noticeable if at all or it can be a big yellow+purple monster.

Only time I have had post infusion site pain was when they hit a nerve once when inserting the catheter on first try.

• December 8, 2017 at 8:32 am

Thanks for posting cer100, less pain and discoloration today….and I do remember the nurse “rolling” the vein on the first day. I used to give blood and would sometimes get a bruise but it was always so much more pronounced and smaller area than what i saw with the infusion. I’m just a little nervous with being new to this and all the stories from people who had a reaction to infusion. It is hard for me to hydrate so much since i am a person who didn’t drink much water/liquid daily. I’ve gone from drinking only coffee in the morning and maybe one soda or bottle of water sometime during the remainder of the day to drinking morning coffee and 3 or 4 bottles of water and several diet sodas throughout the day. I should have been doing this before since i had a kidney stone a few years ago but i am a person who rarely gets thirsty.