Brain MRI post GBS

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2006 at 2:06 am

I couldn’t find any topics on this in the forum, but I was curious if anyone else has gotten an MRI of the brain after having GBS. I was lucky to have a rapid recovery from GBS and it’s almost been two years since I first got sick. With school stress and everything this year I began getting intense face pain on the side of my face that hasn’t fully heal. My neruologist wanted an MRI to make sure that there wasn’t a more serious problem and we found that there were a few tiny areas of demylination. I read some studies where there were rare correlations with GBS and CNS, but they were inconclusive if it was truly rare since MRIs are not usually needed.

I’m geting a LP next week to rule out MS, but I truly have no other symptoms besides a slightly abnormal MRI. Just curious to see if someone had a similar experience 🙂 I think it would be really interesting to see more studies investigating a CNS relation.

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2006 at 2:36 am

I was up doing research because I can’t sleep tonight. I JUST came across this study before coming onto the site tonight.

Copy & paste the link: [url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=2265502&dopt=Abstract[/url]

I take it to mean that people with CIDP can have lesions that mimic that of MS. I didn’t research anything for GBS but I found that link on Google.

Hope that helps.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2006 at 2:38 am

i had a brain mri too during my stay in the hospital before they figured out what was wrong with me, because i also had double vision along with all the other symptoms. they too wanted to rule out ms. they did however discover that my left optic nerve was damaged which led them to the two spinal taps in two days along with emg’s every other day. my left optic nerve is still damaged post gbs 5 years. no further mri’s were needed after i was diagnosed. i still get migrane headache’s every so often. never had the face pain thing though.
      please keep us posted on your findings after the mri results are in.
      deb

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2006 at 9:17 pm

jhannan,
      You mentioned that you were goin to get a L P to rule out M S. What is a L P ? I am being checked for M S also. This has been a hassle for a couple of years.
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2006 at 9:20 pm

Hi Mary Ann,

I believe he means Lumbar Puncture which is the same thing as a spinal tap. Good luck with your tests! Ben just had several tests run himself to make sure there was nothing wrong with his central nervous system (MS, etc.)

Shannon

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2006 at 9:11 pm

I had GBS in May 2001. A couple of years ago I had a doctor that suspected MS. He sent me back to the neurologist who did the MRI. I had several lesions in my brain and many other symptoms. This year I was given another MRI which showed old lesions,some larger than before, some gone, and some new lesions. sept 11 this year I was finally diagnosed with MS. So I have also heard that it is not all that rare for GBS patients to then get MS. I am on medication which I hope at least slows down the damage that MS does.
      I would suggest that anyone who had GBS who begins have symptoms related to MS, go see your neurologist for testing. Doesn’t hardly seem fair to have both but….that is the way it goes!:(

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2006 at 3:33 pm

any one with CIDP has symptoms of MS. It is a matter of keeping on our doctors to make sure that we are getting the newest and best possible treatments and tests. I have asked multiple times if this could be MS. and then they keep me happy and give me more tests to rule it out again, you are your best advocate. good luck to all you are all in my prayers.HAPPY HOLIDAYS (MERRY CHRISTMAS) TO ALL!!!!!

• December 7, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Yes I had CIDP as measured by Protien in the spinal fluid and all other Symptoms and no Lesions in the CNS(brain) and later(2 YR) with all CIDP symptoms the same we found Lesions in the brain consistant with MS. I have been on Beta Interferon A for three years now and have no new Lesions in the Brain. Some reflexes are returning but most symptoms remain. I remain hopeful that the MS thing is under controll and I can make it with the rest of the stuff.
      Seems like what ever causes the Meylin (oloi’s) to be destroyed can enter either peripreal or and CNS.
      I function frairly well but since my CIDP came only up to my waist (eyes also) I can get around on my own. I had cancer also and that causes more problems. Oh The CIDP/MS is into my Blood pressure regulating system and causing more havock. Ah well we all carry some rocks.
      Bill W