Blowing off steam

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Hi Everone..
      I don’t get a lot of chance to be here but when I do of course I love it. You guys are all family and sometimes this is the only chance to blow off steam where others will actually understand. As most of you know I lost my black lab a year ago this past christmas to cancer, he was 13 years old, and then in June I lost my little terrier to congestive heart failure, he was 14 years old. My little dog was my best friend, he visited me in the hospital and was always by my side, of course my big dog was loved tremendously also. Now after several months I am considering getting another dog, I would love to have a t cup yorkie, they are small and would be easy for me to handle, to lift, to bathe etc. they don’t shed and they are hypo allergenic which all of this is perfect. Now, before I got sick I would have been able to purchase one (of the cheaper ones) and wouldn’t have had to worry so much, but now of course being on disability I can’t afford to buy a new pet. I have checked with different pounds even and I can’t afford the adoption fees. It is ridiculous. My vet is willing to give a good reference for me because he knows my pets are like babies to me and will always receive good care. It’s just the cost involved…It just isn’t fair 🙁 . I would provide such a great home. I have a big gated deck, as well as a gated front porch and I have 4 acres of land for them to run and play and cAN’T DO A THING ABOUT IT..Oh well. I’m sure everyone knows how i feel. Shoot sometimes we can’t afford to buy our medicine and here I am complaining about buying a puppy…sorry guys. just had to blow off steam..

Thanks for listening.

Sherry

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Sherry I know what you mean about loosing those old guys I lost two of mine since I got home from the hospital too! Old age not neglect! Now the house plants were another story. Hubby thought they were fake. I explained that fake does not turn brown. Be patient and keep checking around. I have yorkies and the cost to have them groomed is very high over their life time. They should only weigh 4 to 6 pounds so there is no such thing as a t cup. If you find one that is undersized they are hard to vet because the vacinations are too strong. You might want to check into a Chihuahua mix. If you would like to vent more or need help finding rescue groups in your area for the small breeds send me a private message. Some times they are less expensive than the shelters with lots of expenses. Don’t give up looking for a best buddy the right one will find you soon!

• Anonymous
      January 12, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Hi Kit,
      Thanks for the words of kindness. I have no problem with the grooming, a friend of mine is a groomer and my vet is great about helping, he gives me everything at his cost..he is a great guy. I have a little chiuaua mix right now that will be moving with my son..the problem with them is sometimes they get mean, I have had three of them thruout the years and they shed so bad which is hard for me to keep the furniture clean and with allergies it is just too difficult. I realize there is no such thing as a t-cup yorkie but I was just trying to get the point across that I want a small dog so he can go everywhere with me and I can pick him up to hold him without any problem. I live in a very rural county, very small and there are no pets like this available in this area. When I check rescue groups they want a big fee which still causes a problem and of course the only pound here doesn’t ever get anything like this. It’s just a vicious circle and I don’t do well running.. Anyway, I appreciate your kindness and if you run across anything let me know.

Thanks again

Sherry

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Sherry, I will keep my eyes open in this part of the state for you. Sometimes there are pet fairs here, especially in the spring and summer months. I’ll pm you if I find a Yorkie. Have you searched the net? I did that one day last year while I was bored, I found many All over the US(well I actually found German Shepherds:o ) But I will search for Yorkies when I get a chance, now that I have my lifeline(internet) again:D . Take Care.

• Anonymous
      January 14, 2008 at 4:25 am

Rescue groups would probably be the best route – they are more likely to give you a waiver on fees based on your circumstances than a county-operated animal shelter. You can try [url]www.petfinder.org[/url] – they have a pretty comprehensive database of shelters and rescue groups. Except for Blackbury, our street dog from Tiawan, all of our pets were “rescued” from a group I located through Petfinder. While at that time we didn’t qualify for a reduced adoption fee I did notice that more than one rescue group had a check box to be considered for a reduced fee. I won’t kid you – I felt like I was adopting a child, we had to provide three references – work, friend and vet – they came out to do a home visit and check out the house, and then we were finally recommended. While it was kind of a pain in the rear, I appreciate the efforts they go through to make sure their rescues end up in good homes.

Good luck with your hunt, I highly recommend the emotional value of having a pet. I don’t know what I’d do without my little four legged friends. :p

Julie

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Hi guys,
      Thanks for all the input. I have been searching the net as well as rescue groups and pounds..I won’t give up. I just appreciate everyone let me vent and for all the advice.

Thanks

Sherry

• Anonymous
      January 16, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I lost Agnes in the fall of 07. She died in my arms and was THE dog one owns in their lifetime.

I started to pick out a puppy and had searched for the right dog to find me. I saw a picture on line of 3 puppies at an animal shelter about an hour away and they looked like Agnes did as a puppy. I went to the shelter but the puppies were about 2 months past their picture age and were…….shall we say…….not so tame.

As I walked around the shelter looking at dogs I inquired about several that were in a seperate area. I was told that they were basically on death row. They were old dogs that no one had shown any interest in and their time was up.

Everytime I passed that area there was an old, grey, small female beagle that would lean back against the cage, pull her right paw up to her chest in a shy, protective manner but her tail would just go to town thumping.

Everytime I passed, she did the same action. The more I thought about it I realized that in the post GBS world, there is no way I could take on a puppy and all that it brings on. At the same time, I always felt guilty when I would be gone from the house for a long time and Agnes was on her own.

By adopting an OLD dog that was scheduled to be gassed, no matter how many hours away from her, her life would still be better then death.

Elise and I have been together for a little over a year now. She doesn’t require much besides fresh water and soft foods since she has few teeth left.

For the most part she uses the “pads” but won’t use just one. I have to put two down since she uses one for each function.

I have to help her up on the bed and have to help her on the sofa but other than that, she’s content to sit on the porch in the sun, or sleep all day in the bed.

She’s the perfect companion for me.

I don’t know how much older she will get. It seems she is somewhere between 11 and 14. When her time comes I will be sad and miss her but I feel like I’m doing a service for old unwanted dogs. when she does pass, I will make my trips through the shelters until the next old unwanted dog finds me.

All too often I hear of dogs who were companions to old people and when the elderly person dies, the dogs end up in a shelter until their time is up and they are gassed.

Most of these old companion dogs will adjust to a new home and living with a single person. Elsie has learned my schedule and I have learned her routine.

Please, don’t forget these old dogs that still have so much love to give and are usually gentle and housebroken.

It’s a pleasure to have a companion who doesn’t mind if I sleep 12 hours a day.

• Anonymous
      January 16, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Oh Mike,
      Thanks so much for your story..I know exactly how you feel. My kids and I have rescued so many dogs thru out the years and we have either helped them find a loving home or we have kept them ourselves. As I said, we currently have two rescue dogs in our home right now that have become permanent family members and I am sure we will have more as time goes on. I have a large yard and a big home so animals are always welcome. My kids have the same problem that I do, when we go to a shelter it is hard to say no and we usually come home with a dog that is in it’s final days at the shelter because we can’t stand for them to be put down. I wouldn’t trade these experiences for anything and I am so proud that my children are willing to share their hearts and in a responsible manner. they know their pets have to be well cared for and anytime we find homes we make sure they are good homes. I am very glad that Elsie found you.

thanks again

Sherry

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2008 at 12:07 am

Sherry isn’t it nice to know there is another softy in this group of animal lovers on this forum!

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Sherry,

Stick with visiting the local dog pound… great choices and you get to save a life!

Hugs,

Rocker

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Sherry,

Maybe I missed it but how much does it cost??? Your a great person and I know how much my cat helped my recovery.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Hi Jerimy,
      So far the cost has been anywhere from $200.00 up to $5,000.00. Which is absolutely ridiculous. I have even been checking rescues and different places and they still run around $200 or more. Can you believe it.

Oh well. I will be patient and the right little friend will come along.

Thanks

sherry

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Sherry,

I think when you consider the dog has already been spayed/neutered and all shots are up to date and teeth have been checked, cleaned and any pulled if needed. They have been wormed. Then the places have evaluated the animal to make sure it will be good for your situation and is even placeable. I think the total of those services can add up very quickly. If you would have got a dog for free you would have to address those concerns for the dog after adoption. So without a discount or clinic $200 is alot of money but you are putting it back into the system for the next dog inline to be adopted. Many of the dogs I have taken to the vets need wormed several times and teeth pulled. Also spayed and neutered before they could be adopted. I evaluated them for over a month. Their care cost me more than $200. I am sure you were quoted show dog price with that $5,000 price tag. Neither you or I need show dogs, so make it clear you are looking for pet quality. Even approach a reputable breeder for a dog they kept longer to see if it would produce pups or do well at showing but that was not the case! Don’t give up your search but if you want something that is not going to shed and will stay small you don’t have alot of breeds that will fit that bill. Remember FREE comes along but you just have to be patient! Remember that is how I got my three Yorkies! Also, contact all the groomers in your area they hear about dogs that need placed all the time.