Blood test questions

• January 21, 2008 at 10:40 am

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2008 at 3:16 pm

There are not necessarily recommended lab studies for a child. It is sometime recommended to occasionally check a Cr (or BUN and Cr) to look at kidney function and a CBC to make sure that there does not occur either lower platelets or anemia. Typically, we would check these a couple of months after starting “higher doses” of IV IgG. There is not a lot of reason to check immunoglobulin levels since most of us are not immunodeficient and do not have leaky systems (such as nephrotic syndrome or protein losing enteropathy) in which extra immunoglobulin is lost from the body. Often also at the clinic where we give immunoglobulin, we will order an IgG level, IgM level, and IgA level before starting immunoglobulin–the first two to make sure that there is not an underlying immunodeficiency that results in immune dysregulation and the last to make sure than someone is not IgA deficient. one in 700 people are and 1 in 15-20,000 will have a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to IgG infusion because there is a little IgA collected with the IgG. Most importantly, watch for decrease in amount of urine or for rashes/hives.
      With Hope for cure of these diseases.

• Anonymous
      January 21, 2008 at 4:30 pm

We do a CBC, BUN, and IGG levels. The CBC is just to make sure everything is ok (especially her iron levels), BUN to make sure the kidneys are good (because I’m paranoid!) and IGG levels just to check where they are (because I have issues).

We used to do them once a month but we’ve decided on doing them bi-monthly. Emily’s levels have NEVER been perfect for more than 1 month at a time. Something is usually on the low end, so that’s why we monitor her regularly.

I think you should do a CBC, BUN & IGG level on Kevin for 2 months in a row, right before the infusion, just to see where his levels are. It’s always good to have a baseline, I think. Then you could check them every few months, just to see where he is because I know you have issues like I do, LOL.

Kelly