blocks of cement for feet

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Hi:

My mom is about a year and a half post GBS. She has made tremendous progress from hospital, to wheelchair to walking with a cane. Unfortunately, she gets down because she can only decsribe her feet as two blocks of cement that feel tight under the skin. Doctors tell her the pins and needles are all part of the recovery….

perhaps this is just as good as it gets?…..still amazing considering where she has come from in terms of her mobility in the past year.

Is age a factor in terms of recovery…she is 65. Will she get much better than this current state? And maybe this is a blessing to at least walk with a cane?

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2008 at 8:18 pm

Hello,
      I know just howyour mom feels. My feet used to feel the same way. I am almost five years post and my feet are finally better. I still have days when they get all funky but nothing like they used to be. Tell her to be patient and do what makes her feel comfortable. Everyones recovery is different.

Take care and welcome to the family.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 1:29 am

It is much to early to tell if your mothers feet will improve. I just know they will. Give her anoher year and I am betting she will probably throw the cane away. Considering she is 65 she may want to carry a cane with or without GBS. Yeah, I have been there and done that.
      God bless her,
      Drummer

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 10:08 am

Persistance, rehabilitation, Positive thinking, she will get better…:), barring any other medical/physical issues….deanop

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 11:47 am

My feet also felt that way. My therapist suggested doing the ABC’s when I was sitting. By making the shapes of the letters you move your ankles and I would add “toe curls” to them as well. At first I could hardly move them but as time went on it became easier. I liked it because you could do it anywhere when you had time. It has strengthened my ankles and made my feet less stiff. I will admit it has been about a year but take improvements as they come! 🙂

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 4:00 pm

Hi!
      My neurologist assured me that all of the GBS patients he has worked with have burning and heavy feet and that it was normal. He prescribed me Lyrica, which I take just when I need it and I love it. I am not one to push meds as the answer to everything, but I really had a lot of luck with this one. My primary care physician also has quite a bit on hand to give as samples. Does your mother take anything for neuropathy?

• September 4, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Well it is almost 2 years now since I was onset of GBS and I still have needles and pin and I also feel like Im walking on balloon so Im always like Im little drunk when I walk. I use crutch when Im in crowed so I dont fall over. I have not good balance. It have not change since June so I think it will not be better, I think when you get older your body dont have the engery to repair it better. But Im glad Im up and going. I think that when your grandma gett tierd then she feel this concreat feeling, I do somtimes and then I just go and rest. that is the best way. I hope you grandma gets little better each day, she and people around her may not notice but in long term you learn to use what you have and after few months you will see that she is better then she was.