Billy Is Home But Not Because Of GBS!

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Hello Dear Family!

It has been along time since I have been here. Too Long.

Many of you remember me from day by day updates about my husband Billy and GBS.

As many did many of you, he ended up with a trech. But big problems began arising.

After four weeks in rehab, Billys neck, on the left side, began swelling. Then another swollen area came about beneath his left arm. A Biopsy was done.

In short: Diagnosis- Squamous Cell Carcenoma. Treatment- Chemotherapy.

The Doctors say that the GBS paved the way for this Cancer. It is spread through his neck, chest, and lining of the lungs.

This is where I found the big picture of the Medical Field and Insurance.

Rehab said he had not made enough progress, and because he would be undergoing Chemo in the Hospital, which stands behind the rehab center, he could not continue.

So he was transferred to the hospital to recieve his first two treatments.

After the second day, the hospital case worker came to me and said that Insurance, BC/BS, said that he wasn’t well enough for Rehab, not sick enough to stay in the Hospital, and did not require Skilled Nursing.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Billy was already an emotional wreck.
      All of the hard work in Rehab had just been shot down because of this Cancer and now this.

Anyways, Billy is home now. No there won’t be a Nursing Home for him. He will continue his treatments. But he will be comfortible while doing so.

Please believe me when I say, that my prayers are with you all and God Bless you who have been through the nightmares, and God Bless you who are about to or are in the process of becoming another Insurance Statistic.

It isn’t about helping people anymore, and it isn’t the Medical Field that is calling the shots. The Hippacratic Oath means nothing anymore. Keep your premiums paid because your Insurance Companies now make the Diagnosis.

Also, anyone on this Forum, who has typed their nightmareish experiences,
      Believe it.

God Bless You All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Piper

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2007 at 9:00 pm

Oh Piper, I’m soo sorry to read all that has happened to Billy and you. I just can’t believe things just keep getting worse the better Billy gets. You Both are in my Prayers and thoughts. Piper please keep in touch with us here on the site, Family can be a positive support system, We All are behind you Both. Give Billy my best and please take good care of both of you.

• Anonymous
      January 7, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Piper,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Billy.

Love,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 11:26 am

Piper & Billy ~ my heart aches for you both. It’s like being lost in the twlight zone . . . Even tho I can’t fix it for you (my insurance coverage was cancelled when I moved from one state to another ~ can’t get any other coverage now) my prayer thoughts are with you. It’s such a helpless~feeling place to be. Let your GBS family support you emotionally, as we can.
      Hugs, hugs, hugs.

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 2:06 pm

I have had nothing but problems with Nates insurance also. It seems they are not there to help but rather hinder a patient’s progress while raking in the dough.
      They decide if you live or die and they are not even doctors.
      If you call to discuss your medical problem and ask if a doctor decided your case, they will tell you NO. ????????
      The insurance system seems so out of balance and simply broken.
      I fought with one insurance to get him what he needed and I am still doing everything I can to get him what he still needs. It worked too.
      Get an advocate or an ombudsman, somebody. Even some doctors will help.
      Don’t let them write him off that way.
      Fight for what Billy needs, don’t give up.
      My thoughts are with you.

• Anonymous
      January 8, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Piper,

My prayers and thoughts are with you and Billy.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2007 at 2:48 am

[QUOTE=piper]
      This is where I found the big picture of the Medical Field and Insurance.

Please believe me when I say, that my prayers are with you all and God Bless you who have been through the nightmares, and God Bless you who are about to or are in the process of becoming another Insurance Statistic.

It isn’t about helping people anymore, and it isn’t the Medical Field that is calling the shots. The Hippacratic Oath means nothing anymore. [COLOR=”Red”]Keep your premiums paid because your Insurance Companies now make the Diagnosis.[/COLOR]

Also, anyone on this Forum, who has typed their nightmareish experiences,
      Believe it.

God Bless You All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Piper[/QUOTE]

I also found this to be true with my rehab. My doctors and therapists all recommended much more treatment, but my insurance company refused to pay for anymore visits. Even if a doctor orders therapy, the insurance company is not obligated to pay for it. They told me that if I wanted more therapy, I would have to pay for it myself.

Please know that you and Billy will be in my prayers!