Been a few months… HELP!

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2009 at 11:00 pm

Hi Forum Gang,

I can’t believe so much time has gone by since I have posted much here. At least 6 months… I am writing to ask for your prayers, advice, etc. on my current life. In Oct. ’08 I quit my job thinking I would take off a couple of months then back to a new job. NOT. The main thing has been the economy. Also went through my cat “Tigger” dying and now have a great new “Cosmo”!

BUT… I cannot find a job. I am a general type of office secretary and am afraid to go back to the challenging work I did as I was unable to keep up the pace. So I am over qualified for many of the jobs I would like and now I am over 50 which puts me in that older category. I am totally broke and in debt bad. Three of my 4 siblings have just now come together to help me pay rent and my bills. I sit at home almost everyday because going out to do anything costs money. Have been playing games on Yahoo. I do still enjoy a cheap beer or two occasionally, but that is it.

I’m not super depressed as I am on meds for that. I did get back on amitryptine (?sp) recently and it does help the nerve pain at night, but here comes the weight gain. My regular doc (only one I have) has got me on all the cheap meds so that helps. I also got on food stamps and that helps too. (My knees look horrible as I have started falling with left foot catching.)

I gotta get a job! I am limited since I cannot stand much so Wal-Mart, etc. are out. Any ideas? Oklahoma is horrible for disability and have faced the ‘but you look fine’ from one lawyer.

Whew… that feels better to vent a bit. Thank you as I know all of you understand. Anyway, this lets you know what I have been up to lately. I think of you guys often.

Much Love,

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Hi chrissy,
      Good to hear from you again. Boy do I know what you mean about going further and further in debt. I am fortunately that I do get disability so I barely keep my head above water but am sinking fast.

As far as work is concerned, have you considered doing transcription? Sometimes offices would rather contract the work out instead of paying an employee to be in the office. Check with local attorneys, doctors offices, hospitals, etc. Not sure if it is something you can do or not but might be worth a try.

Thank god for family and friends. I know it is hard to accept help but sometimes we have to.

Take care and keep us posted.

• August 5, 2009 at 8:21 am

Oh Chrissy I am sorry to hear you are in our boat. My hubby and I are going thru the same thing. Thought if our own home biz were to slow, he would have no problem with work considering his extensive background. But that is not the case. I dont know where rent will come from this month but the basic bills are paid. Hubby is looking at a bartender job, and a gas station job. I did a job search and all that came back as me being qualified for was sheep herder…I didnt have my own dog though. You are fortunate to have family! I am so glad they are there for you. My heart goes out to you and so are my prayers.

I am unable to stand for long, sit for long, or walk long….most positions my unqualified butt is qualified for requires such things. I applied for SSI and know that will be its own battle. Have you looked into any types of local help? I know we were told we can not take advantage of most programs because we have to have a sustainable income…now if I had that, would I be asking for rent help?? It gets frustrating hearing “we will help you, BUT….”. There are other programs though, please if you havent, look into them, call around, be persistent.

I am thinking of looking into transcriptionist or billing or something if my artwork doesnt kick in soon. I do have 1 job of that I am working on with possibly 2 more, so that is encouraging. 5 a week and rent and bills would be paid! Take inventory of what you can do….find out how to market those skills to a business, and dont overlook things that may seem silly. My social worker claims I have organizational skills because I run a household and cook dinner. I had to laugh because one of my major shortcomings IS lack of organizational skills. But she insisted. Whatever. Anyhow, my point it we really do have a lot more marketable skills than we realize. *hug* I pray things pick up for you, but remember you have a place to talk and you are definitely not alone.

~Lori

• August 5, 2009 at 11:42 am

Nice to see you back again, but sorry about the job. Good luck in your search. It is wonderful to hear your sibblings are helping you!! Any chance of a friend moving in to split costs?
      Good luck,
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Hi Chrissy: Nice to hear from you again but not to hear how things are. Sorry you are having such a rough time. My son rose through the ranks of fund raising for non-profits and originally worked as a caller for a phone center. It can be a frustrating job calling people and asking for donations, but you sit all the time and can work your own hours. And you can work for good causes too. It might be something. Hope the sun shines through soon. Jeff

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Thank you all for your ideas and thoughts. One day up and one day down… we all know how that goes. I got a call this morning and have an interview Monday afternoon with a web design company which sounds very interesting to me. It would be an admin. assist. but with low pay so surely the work wouldn’t be as advanced as I did – hopefully. It is not far from home which is a big deal for me. As we know time is energy and the closer the job is less energy driving.

I want to mention that I have already had one garage sale and have sold what little jewelry I had. A roommate is a tough one… small bedrooms with only 1 bath. I don’t have any medical background. Applied for a virtual secretary job online and it turned out to be a money laundry scam.

Just knowing you all understand means so much to me!!!

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I was in the same boat. I am also a secretary that was looking for a job in this bad economy. But, I was called by a Temp. Agency and they seem to have a lot of temp to hire jobs available. A lot of companies are now going through Temp. Agencies to fill their jobs. I am working at a Law Firm for the first time and I really enjoy it. Hoping to be hired permanently in the next 30 days. Good luck in finding a job!

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Chrissy,

How wonderful to hear from you. i am so sorry things are not working out as you planned. Sounds like there are many of us in the same boat. I think you got some good advice and ideas here so hopefully you can capitalze on them. I know there will be something out there for you. I am sending prayers your way.

Janet