Are Ultra Light Manual Wheelchairs Strong?

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2010 at 9:57 am

Hi,
      I’m a wheelchair user and where I go my wheelchair must go. I know that my wheelchair is heavy for my aides to lift in and out of van when I go shopping, especially if I’m going to two/three stores.

Does anyone know how sturdy and strong the ultra lights are, the ones that weigh less then 29 lbs? Are they strong enough and sturdy enough for daily use? Are they strong enough and sturdy enough so that I can travel with them?

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I bought this one from Costco and love it!

Used it in disneyland and several other wheelchair users were asking me where I got it.

It is very easy to put togther and has a bag that everything fits into.

Great for travelling, I would suggest a cushion if you are in it for long periods of time.

It even has a drink holder!

Great for travelling on planes as well.

Good luck,
      Rhonda from Canada

UltraLight Freedom Transport Wheelchair by Medline® – Blue Aluminum Frame
      Weighs just 14 pounds & includes canvas tote and adjustable cane
      Item # 186538

[COLOR=”Blue”][B][U]website:[/[/U][/B]COLOR]http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11204513&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|589|4484&N=4001237&Mo=48&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4484&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2010 at 12:25 am

I bought miy transport chair for travelling & paid $159 for it, use it for the airports, museums, larger stores. It only weighs 19# & took a few minutes to put together. My regular manual chair weighed 44# & was hard for my husband to lift in & out of the vehicle.

BTW. we are finally home from Florida, flew back on April 30th, now it has been back to wearing sweatshirts & jackets here in northern MN. Glad we got the chance to finally meet after all these long years of emailing & talking on the phone!

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I’m not talking about the transports/travel wheelchairs (the ones with four small wheels). I was asking about the ultra lights. They weigh about 28lbs to 30lbs and have the two BIG rear wheels. I cannot peddle “myself” in the travel chairs (had one) and I need to do that so my aide doesn’t have to try to push me and a shopping cart. ULTRA LIGHT WHEELCHAIRS are not travel wheelchairs. This ones a Karman.

[IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/773/karmankh80201.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2010 at 11:20 am

I couldn’t imagine why a chair like that wouldn’t be strong enough, you are not a big person at all. My son’t wheelchair weighs only 25# & he is probably 230#, has had it for over 10 years now.