Are my symptons CIDP related or other

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Richard Robinson
      Participant

Good Afternoon,

I am a 33yr old male. Within the last several months , I’d day starting in October, I would randomly stumble and or fall. My falling used to be just a straight drop from standing to one knee on the ground. The falling started with one knee/leg as the primary, but progressed to both of my knees/legs. In the last 6 weeks, I have developed tingling in both my feet. The falling has gotten worse. When I fall now, it has more forward motion and I have to catch myself on either near by objects or catch myself with my hands on the ground. My arms/hands do not seem to have any issues. One of the other things that is strange, there is absolutely no pain or warning involved with the actually fall itself. The only pain that is associated with this is when I fall alot in a day or twist my knee in a weird way when falling. Not sure if it related or not, but my deep tendon reflexes are severely diminished.

Also, A few weeks ago I got into some Poison Ivy. I react pretty strongly, so I was given a shot of low dose steroids. For the next few days after that shot, my walk was near perfect. I had very little issues. After the shot started wearing off the falling started coming back.

So far my doctors have done an MRI which revealed disc compression in the lower lumbar area.
      An xray of my knees, which came back absolutely normal
      A Nerve Conduction Study/EMG, which found a sensory nerve with a decreased response and motor nerve in my foot that was basically dead. After this study was finished, the neurologist ordered a Spinal Tap, which is being done next week.
      Several rounds of blood work, with everything in “normal” ranges.

They have ruled out ALS, but I am still in limbo as to what is wrong with me. I know this is a vague and very high level overview of my issues, but I was hoping someone might have experienced something similar to this and have some insight

Roy Roark
      Participant

I can not say if your symptoms are CIDP but they are similar to the symptoms that eventually led to my diagnosis of CIDP. I pray for the best for you whatever your final diagnosis.

Richard Robinson
      Participant

Thank you for replying. If I may ask a few questions:

Did you ever develop a dip or fairly consistent partial knee give out? I’ve noticed that I have a dip in my walk. My knee like slightly gives out/quits working/whatever you want to call it.

Thanks- hope you are safe in this pandemic.

Roy Roark
      Participant

Yes I did. I am glad to hear you are getting tested for CIDP so quick, it took them around 10 years before I was even tested. It was after I had been in a wheelchair for 2 years. If it is CIDP and they catch it quick the prognosis is good. I am no longer in the wheelchair even with my late diagnosis. Prayers for health and safety.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.