Are GBS patients “Immune Compromised”?

• August 17, 2021 at 1:49 pm

So now certain “immunocompromised” are being given a third dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. Is “immunocompromised” even a real medical term with a definition? Does it mean a weak immune system or  an immune system that doesn’t function normally (or both)? The recent FDA announcement refers to “levels” to which one might be immunocompromised. The mask I received from the GBS Foundation (and wear frequently) says “Immune Compromised”. One of my neurologists told me that I am not immunocompromised; it’s actually the reverse, because my immune system works “too well”. Is anyone else confused about this?

• August 17, 2021 at 2:51 pm

Our immune system attacked the myelin sheath on our nerves. Our system is over active. It overreacts to stimuli as a doctor told me.

Since at least one of the vaccines now has a warning about gbs, I’m not going to risk having my immune system overreact to something in this vaccine. I don’t get a flu shot for the same reason. I’ll continue to take precautions as I have for 15 years now.

Stay safe & be well.

• September 30, 2021 at 8:46 pm

I agree with you Fairly Odd Mother. I had it in 1987 and almost died. Was in the hospital for 5 months, and was paralyzed from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. I had to be fed blended food.  This was the most devastating thing I have ever been though.

My neurologist had told me to never get even a flu shot, and I haven’t all these years, let alone the COVID shot. We should have some sort of medical card indicating this. Thankfully, I have been working from home, so the chances of my company ever mandating a vaccine are next to nil.  In the meantime, I also will stay vigilant.

I just discovered this website, and am grateful to be a part of it!  Stay focused and well.

• August 17, 2021 at 3:48 pm

The GOV. recently said everyone will need an 8 month booster who had the original RDMA  vaccine.   I had the 2 moderna vacs and will definitely get the 3rd in a couple of months.  The 2nd shot did make me feel crappy for almost a week.  But better than being dead, huh?  My wife explained rather clearly to me yesterday that I am not immunocompromised due to my GBS is from my system working too efficiently  not under efficiently.  (Anybody jump in and correct me if this is wrong)

• August 19, 2021 at 7:18 am

Yes. Immune system is compromised in GBS. In GBS your immune system attacks and damages your own immune system