Are GBS and vertigo related?

• November 10, 2010 at 9:42 am

I was diagnosed with a severe case of GBS in March 2010. I am now fully mobile again. Like most of you, I have lost all my reflexes and suffer from chronic muscle pain and fatigue. In September, I went to my family doctor for nausea and dizziness and after testing, I was told I had vertigo. Now 2 months later, I am experiencing the same symptoms. Is GBS and the vertigo related? I have never experienced vertigo before and can’t find much information about this.

PS- I have a 6 month old son. This is severely affecting my life and I have been needing help from friends and family again… Will this EVER go away?! 😡

• November 10, 2010 at 3:31 pm

is this vertigo the kind where you feel dizzy but it is more of an “inside your head” feeling? I have had the floor fly up to meet me even though I was standing perfectly straight up, didn’t fall, didn’t do anything but change the position of my head. I often feel as if my head is detached from the rest of me, a far away feeling of movement and it is very very uncomfortable. Not sure if any of this is what you are experiencing. But I do believe that our nerves control so much of what goes on with us, that vertigo related to GBS is a possibility. I never had what I experience before getting sick. I am 4 years post onset and it comes and goes, not nearly as bad as it used to be so I hope yours clears up soon.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2010 at 9:57 am

Lexie,

GBS can affect the autonomic nerves that control heart, lungs, blood pressure, etc. I was very lightheaded for several months in the beginning and still have periods of dizziness. I think that it may take a little while, but it should go away eventually. Just make sure that you drink a lot of water/gatorade, that will help. Keep the electrolytes and the salt up and see if that helps. Has your blood pressure been lower? I found that it has lowered my BP.

I sympathize with you having a 6 month old. I had a 18 month old and 3 1/2 year old at the time, and there is no time for rest or recovery when you have little ones. I had a “mild” case (which was still a nightmare) a year ago after the H1N1 vaccine and I still have issues. I squeeze in my naps on the weekend when my 2.5 year old naps and just take breaks when I can. Just try not to get overwhelmed by everything and focus on what needs to be done….don’t worry about the cleaning, dust, etc. unimportant things. And just focus on one day at a time. There will be ups and downs, but overall things should trend up VERY slowly.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Hi Lexie,

Welcome to your new cyber family! I have balance problems which I believe are a result of not having any reflexes. I’ve also experienced inner ear problems when I was younger. What I experience now with the balance issues is not quite the same as the inner ear problems. But either one would get me to the floor one way or another. I recently broke down and started using a cane and have found it helps a lot.

One thing I learned from an ear doctor is to put hydrogen peroxide in one ear at a time letting it sit for 15 minutes. Then do the other ear. You get used to all the crackling and popping. This has helped to make sure my inner ears aren’t messed up.

Keep asking questions and reading posts here. We know more about most of our residuals than the doctors do. Also try a search on this site for vertigo.

This site is also a great place to vent when you get frustrated – we understand!

• November 13, 2010 at 11:37 am

If it continues, I would see a Otologist or a Neurotologist for further review. There are various causes and you should review them for your own education on Wikipedia.

• November 24, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Thanks. I went to the doc again and he gave me valium and some other med. It went away in a few days. If it happens again, I am going to call my Neurologist.