Anyone clumsy post GBS?

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2007 at 7:20 am

After spraining my ankle quite badly the other day, I realised that is probably the third or fourth time in the past month or so that i have twisted my ankle and fallen flat on my face (not a pretty sight believe me). If there is a pothole or ditch, i will step in it. I have also twisted my ankle in the office with no obstacles in sight.

Is it possibly an effect of the GBS or am i just getting clumsy in my old age?

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2007 at 7:50 am

It could be that you have slight foot drop as a result of the GBS. I don’t have a noticeable drop until I get fatigued, and then I start tripping over my own feet a lot. I think it’s just the nerves and muscles getting tired, and they’re not able to work as hard to keep my feet raised up very well. I really have to concentrate hard on keeping my feet off the ground when I walk… which, of course, then leads to my not paying attention to where I’m going and I end up walking into a wall or doorframe or something. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

So yes, clumsiness and tripping is definitely a part of GBS recovery for me. I woudln’t be surprised if the same were true for you as well.

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2007 at 8:10 am

I agree with Suzanne, foot drop causes you to catch your foot if you don’t pick it up high enough. (Been there, done that!) Another thing my neuro pointed out to me is that the muscles in my ankle are weak and it allows me to have my ankle twist or turn over easily which leads to unbalence and a potential fall. He has me doing an exercise to strengthen it by pushing my foot against something while sitting.

Also once you sprain an ankle, you are more prone to do it again because the muscles/tendons are stretched with the injury.

Take care.

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2007 at 10:51 am

I know I fall a lot post GBS. I fall down for no reason, legs go out while walking down steps. Everybody ask what happen and all I can say is I don’t know. I just fell. It is worse when you are tired. I have learned when to stop and rest so my body isn’t so weak.

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2007 at 10:55 am

yolande,

ditto all before me. it’s the gbs. walk carefully. others have been injured due to their residuals. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2007 at 12:57 pm

My hubby fell for the 6 years he was ill. Never a warning, down he would go.

• Anonymous
      May 29, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Thank goodness once again I am not alone. I dont have foot drop but since post GBS I feel like such an idiot becase when I trip I can’t catch myself for love nor money. It is so hard to explain but its almost as if I dont have enough muscle to push up from that “mid point” between up and down so I usually go down. I just missed a face plant on the garage steps today (cement). When I first got done with the walker it was my daughters birthday and I asked her what she wanted to do. Without thinking she said miniature golfing and I paused and said ok. She remembered that this probably wasnt the best idea but I said noooo , I will be fine. Ha! Right out of the gate we saw someone we knew ahead of us and I wanted to say hi, I looked down and saw that my shoe lace was untied so I said to my daughter lets go over by the table so I can tie my shoe. Well……the first step I took my daughter stepped on my lace and down I went..FLAT! The worst part was I couldnt get up. (never mind the two ladies sitting there that never offered to help) I didnt know whether to laugh or cry, however my 16 year old daughter felt so bad she started to cry and said lets go. After we got me up my biggest concern was that the people we knew saw me… all I said was, nope I paid for it we are gonna golf but we waited for the people we knew to get way ahead of us ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 12:00 am

Oh I am so glad I can put this one under the GBS column! I do get clumsy and just catch the tip of my toe and that sets me into a panic!

I was told by my Rehab Doctor that I did really good learning to walk again. I told her I fell twice right after coming home in that first two months. She said that was GREAT! I kinda looked at her funny and she said. Just think how many times a toddler falls when they are learning to walk!

I remember staying inside alot and not enjoying my yard last Summer because I knew I could not get up if I fell out in the grass. Now I think I have sat down on about every area in the yard to make sure I can get up on my own. I still stumble when I am tired!

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 6:06 am

“Is anyone clumsy?” (original quote)…….
      …..yes, I am ALL the time:( ๐Ÿ™

Per

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 6:31 am

Hi there

It’s definitely attributed to your GBS. I suffer from slight footdrop and I have to be careful where I walk and on what surfaces otherwise my ankles have a tendency to give way on me. Fortunately I have only had a couple of falls but they have made me extra paranoid about falling (cause damn does it hurt the older you get lol) so I’m really really careful. Are you doing exercises to help strengthen your ankles, I am, and I must say it has made a huge difference. Take care.

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2007 at 11:14 am

I thought i was the only one who was clumsy. I fall all the time, trip over my feet, and my legs give out. I was hoping I wasn’t just clumsy

Tonya
      GBS 2000

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2007 at 11:46 am

I also thought I was always clumsy, but I dont think I am. The other day I fell in the movie theatre ON FLAT GROUND, and my knee was so scraped up by the carpet it was bleeding. My word was i embarressed! My daughter just hid her face and giggled the rest of the movie.

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2007 at 4:51 pm

I am still clumsy and catch my feet dragging sometimes it’s the right , other times it’s the left and I walk like I’m crossing the center-line most of the time. I actually wonder if I could pass the field sobriety test even though I haven’t drank in over 2 years. My falls are rare now. I take it slow!
      Tim

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2007 at 10:43 pm

After 4 years of recovery-Getting Better Slowly- I’m still a bit clumsy in the fall down department. Foot drop makes me catch my toes on something – crack in the pavement, or even the carpet, then followed by an attempt to grab something, and bam – on the floor. followed by finding something to pull myself up again. I got over the embarrassment:o a while ago, but if I look at myself as an outsider-I look like a comic drunk. My cane helps a bit when I’m in unfamiliar terrain. just keep your spirits up, you aren’t alone in this.;) – Art

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2007 at 1:04 am

Hi Yolande

I was clumsy to begin with so getting GBS certainly hasn’t helped my cause (heehee). My residuals are weak ankles and slight footdrop so I have to be careful when out and about because I’ve tripped over a few times and it HURTS. My 3yr old falls over no worries and picks herself up and moves on, I fall over and I feel like I’ve been hit by a mack truck.

I’ve been working on a lot of strengthening exercises for my ankles and feet and I have improved so much. I’m just able to cope with doing so much more than when I first came out of hospital 10 mths ago so that might be something you need to look into.

Hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2007 at 6:47 am

Hi Niki

Do you have any exercises you could give me? I would have come out of hospital about the same time as you (Sept) and have really been pretty much back to normal for some time now. I was lucky that I was given PT from the outset and had to wear splints while i was immobile so didnt get foot drop but i really do think i have weak ankles. I havent fallen over for a while but i am much more mindful about how i walk! I dont know what i did to my ankle last time i fell but even now it hurts when put shoes on etc.